« Music Forum

Definition Emo Band

Posted by redxnni

posted

Forum: Music

Heyy~
So this is my first post and I have a big question, because I always get juged because of it.

I get often the question, ''what music do you hear?'' And I always answer with ''Just some Emo or Rock stuff''' 
When they ask what bands, I answer with the basics like My chemical romance etc., but I also answer with Falling in Reverse.

So know finally my question. Is Falling in Reverse an emo Band or not? There are a lot opinions about that and I really don't know how I should explain it. I can just say that wikipedia said that.

I also know that 'Escape the Fate' is an emo band. (He was in the past the lead singer there) and I can't here a big difference between their styles. 

Falling In Reverse - Diskografie, Line-Up, Biografie, Interviews, Fotos 
“I feel the hate,
Welling up inside,
And it's to late,
Nowhere to run and hide.”

~Falling in Reverse

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Action Cat

posted

I’ve always known them as an emo band. Most sub genres of rock bleed into each other though, so it’s easy to put most bands in multiple categories. For instance, sub genres of rock include, alt rock, grunge, punk, emo, etc. Very rarely does any single band fit into only 1 category. 

Report Reply

Reply by ThisIsHistory

posted

I think a big thing people forget about when talking genre definitions is what happens outside the music itself. A
big part of what I personally believe emo to be is the community and
D.I.Y. culture that comes from the hardcore and punk roots, and that's
something that's kind of lost to most people, as evidenced by the term
being labeled on to everything from fashion to  mood and
personality.
There are a lot of elitists out there who wanna
say what is and isn't emo and while I think that's mostly a jerk
reaction from having all sorts of different groups shoved under one term
I also think that there's something lost when calling every ginormous
band with a darker style "emo". There's just something special about small groups of friends working together to start house shows, local tours, and recording an album completely independent of any kind of record label. That's just my opinion though, and while I wouldn't call 99% of the music, people, and culture on this website "emo" it also just doesn't fucking matter. Us elitists are just mad that people don't care about the roots of the genre.
Honestly if there's any takeaway from this it should be that NONE of this shit really matters.
Listen to what you like. If you wanna call it emo then whatever. Don't let anybody tell you who or what you are. In the end none of these terms really matter anyways.

TL;DR - the real emo was the friends we made along the way

Report Reply