« SpaceHey Forum

will this resurrection of myspace have an impact on pop culture in the future?

Posted by addy allure

posted

Forum: SpaceHey

so, it's been almost 6 months since this myspace reincarnation came abt and took us all by surprise. i always dreamed that one day i will b able 2 live out my myspace dreams as i did not get 2 experience the og myspace era between 2004 and 2010 (since i was just a child @ those times, and now i'm 18), and now w/ this resurrection of the platform, it's finally come true.

in the early 2000s, social media was barely even a thing. all ppl had growing up @ the time were chat rooms, blogging websites, and instant messaging platforms, until friendster, hi5, myspace, facebook, youtube and twitter in their early days, and bebo came abt in the following yrs.

myspace had a HUGE impact on technology, pop culture, and music in the mid to late 2000s, and was one of the first social networks 2 reach a global audience. it also played a crucial role in the early growth of youtube, and also created developer platforms that launched the future successes of zynga, rockyou, and photobucket.

many artists that were releasing music on myspace were being discovered during the mid to late 2000s, and l8er became the mainstream industry powerhouses we all know them as 2day.

looking back, i think the mid to late 2000s were kinda like the pre-peak of social media, but i don't think the full-on peak would occur until the early 2010s w/ platforms like tumblr, pinterest, instagram, twitter, and the short lived we heart it and polyvore, among others.

anyway, back on topic, myspace remained popular 4 a hot minute in the mid-2000s, however, by 2007, many ppl, college students in particular, were now transitioning from myspace 2 facebook, causing a decline in popularity, and by early 2008, facebook overtook myspace in alexa rankings, and has since caused a decline in membership in favor of facebook. this was also notable by mid-2009 as facebook surpassed myspace in the number of u.s. visitors.

in the 2010s, many things in pop culture started 2 change. online streaming started 2 override the sales of physical cds and dvds, many human rights and racial justice movements were emerging, and technology was drastically changing, which also included social media and messaging platforms.

myspace and instant messaging platforms like aim, msn, yahoo!, and icq were NO exceptions. facebook, twitter, pinterest, instagram, and other social media platforms emerging and growing in popularity @ the time were being used by celebrities and many ppl in general, and were considered 2 b the norm. since then, the popularity in myspace HEAVILY dipped, and has drastically changed since the early 2010s.

so yea, fast forward 2 a decade l8er, we r now in the day and age where ppl r saying that facebook is wack and that it is not good anymore, and we r still in the day and age of instagram and twitter, but 4 the past couple months, myspace has been resurrected as spacehey, and i'm rlly happy abt that.

while i don't think this myspace reincarnation has gone fully mainstream yet, i guarantee it will. but yea, what do u guys think? do u think this myspace resurrection will live up in the future and have an impact on pop culture? or do u think it will b another short lived social network? i'm interested in hearing ur opinions.

thank u sm 4 listening me rant, and i hope 2 post more blog posts and forum topics. i luv y'all sm!! 💞💞

Report Topic

5 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Elohimless 🤘🇵🇷

posted

It has garnered some quasi mainstream attention (like Vice, Fast Company, Buzz Feed and others writing articles about SpaceHey) but that's about it. A lot of people are addicted to using Facebook (mostly Boomers), Instagram, WhatsApp, Twitter, Tik Tok, etc. . .I hear people talking about Minds, Gab, Parler, Odysee, Bitchute, Rumble, Telegram, Signal App among others but not really SpaceHey (Just some Gen Zers that didn't grow up with OG MySpace & want to have that experience and Millennials like myself that want some nostraglia). . .I don't think SpaceHey will penetrate the cultural zeitgeist like OG MySpace did. . .Web 2.0 (If you know what that means) is f***ing DEAD! A site like this won't be able to survive in today's social media landscape, times have changed. These days (as much as I hate it) If you don't have an app, you're pretty much dead on arrival. 

Report Reply

Reply by L Boogie Jr.

posted

I hope so!! Social media was reimagined for the Facebook era. It didn’t used to be about constant updates and feeds curated for us by some mysterious algorithm... what we sought out or seen wasn’t already decided  for us...

We spent hours putting together playlists and coding our profiles paying attention to every minute detail... surfing through other people’s profiles.. 
it was fun. Although I was a child myself perhaps I romanticize it..
I want to see SpaceHey thrive and I will leave Facebook behind for it.
I’ve been looking for a way out, hate the responsibility I feel to Facebook/IG. It’s like I have to maintain them to “stay relevant”, even as a regular joe.
Hope we can claim some aspects of our individuality and freedom back with spacehey as a revamped classic social media standard

Report Reply

Reply by not_lain

posted
updated

what i know is the 90s nostalgia is done and pop culture moved onto y2k era nostalgia (that started around 2018/19)

mostly gen-z who joined this site are in it for the y2k aesthetic but thats it
tho its a phase to many, its a lifestyle to some

to me no matter how much audience it reaches, it only appeals to people who likes to participate in a nostalgic trip (people like us here)
the moment convenience with smartphone was introduced, nobody looked back since

also im starting to see 2010s nostalgia having a comeback already and older gen-z are slowly getting nostalgic for that era

Report Reply

Reply by vincorocks

posted

Facebook is going to transform into a metaverse, a new level of the internet, pop culture is back and will stay forever, or as long as there are people who lived in the eighties and nineties

Report Reply

Reply by 💙Sonic💙

posted

I agee with everyone here, as much as it reach's high numbers of popularity it will never be like the og myspace days, again just like everyone else here saying as well, all of us that are on here are just here for nostalgia of it all..

Report Reply