« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

A list of all the "old web" revival services I know of - please help expand it!

Posted by failsandwich

posted
updated

Forum: Web, HTML, Tech

Over the past year or so, I've been signing up for a load of old websites/services that are made to mimic/copy/revive old sites/services that have been drastically changed or shut down. I'll list all of them here, plus some that I know of but don't use. If you have a service that you'd like to add to this list, feel free to reply to this post and I'll add it to the list!
  • escargot.chat - a revival of Microsoft's MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger service. Works with all MSN/WLM clients from 1.0 to 9.0.
  • escargot.live - a revival of Windows Live Spaces and Windows Live Profiles, run by the same team as escargot.chat. It will launch this summer.
  • NINA - a revival of the old AOL Desktop clients. It also hasn't launched yet, and there's no ETA, but rest assured it'll be here someday :D
  • Phoenix - a revival of AOL Instant Messenger. Works with all clients from 1.0 to 6.0, though 6.0 is kinda bugged. Also supports Yahoo! Messenger and ICQ.
  • BitView - one of several classic YouTube clones, and my personal favourite. Replicates YouTube's 2009 design pretty much perfectly.
  • VidLii - another YouTube clone. Doesn't replicate YouTube quite as closely as BitView does, but it supports longer videos and more resolutions/audio bitrates than BitView.
  • FulpTube - yet ANOTHER YouTube clone. Unlike the previous two, it's meant to replicate YouTube from 2012/2013. Seems a bit glitchier than the other two. It also has its own replica of YouTube XL, and a mobile site.
  • SpaceHey - The site you're on right now. A MySpace replica.
  • NeoCities - a clone of Yahoo! GeoCities. Lets you host your own website, for free (with extra privileges for donators)!
  • oldgoogle - a clone of Google Search, with replicas of pretty much every redesign that Google has gone through, from 1998 to 2014.
  • oldyahoo - a clone of Yahoo! Search. Exactly the same as above, but for Yahoo! instead.
  • Bwitter - a clone of Twitter from 2007. Warning - this site doesn't support HTTPS, so you might want to use a different password from your other accounts.
  • Goodblox (RIP) - a revival of several old Roblox clients. Currently shut down :( It may come back later, but considering how long it's been "temporarily" closed, don't count on it...
  • rverse - a Miiverse revival, compatible with Wii U and 3DS. Doesn't have its own website, so I've provided a link to their Discord server. If the invite stops working, tell me and I'll update the post with a fresh invite link.
  • RiiConnect24 - a revival for pretty much every single WiiConnect24-dependent Wii channel, such as the Check Mii Out Channel, the Weather Channel, the News Channel, and the Everybody Votes Channel.
  • Sudomemo - a revival for Flipnote Hatena, the animation/art-sharing service for the Nintendo DS app Flipnote Studio.
  • Wiimmfi - a revival of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service. Similar to RiiConnect24, but for multiplayer games instead of just Wii channels.
  • Flashpoint - not sure if this quite fits the description of an "old web" revival service, but I'll include it anyway. Flashpoint is a MASSIVE archive for online games using plugins like Adobe Flash, Silverlight, and even really obscure ones like the PopCap Plugin and ActiveX Controls.
  • ruffle.rs - an Adobe Flash emulator, similar to Flashpoint. Unlike Flashpoint, it is available as a browser extension too.
...and that's all for now! Please don't hesitate to post your own additions to the list here. Have a lovely day, everyone! :D

Report Topic

107 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by MattGamerMusicYoutube

posted

What about hummus (2017 discord)?

https://hummus.sys42.net/

Report Reply

Reply by PostalDumbass

posted

idk if this thread is still active anymore but ill provide something neat anyway. novetus happens to be a collection of several classic roblox clients thats easy to install. there happens to be a few multiplayer communities out there, with the most prominent for novetus being austiverse/austiblox (the server seems to be having issues for half a month approx. connecting to the website as of now gives a 403 error so check it out later or if you see this post a while after it being posted). havent played much on there but its worth a look into.

Report Reply

Reply by tragicissy69

posted

Haii just letting everyone know escargot.love might be down or not working anymore? And youtube xl and the mobile site of fulptube also don’t work? (Also it’s called bojansocial now? Not sure what it is… doesn’t seem like a YouTube replica though) lastly bwitter doesn’t work either.

Report Reply

Reply by Ginger1234

posted

⚠️ PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS LIST BECAUSE IT'S OUTDATED AS HECK PLEASE USE GRIFFEN LIST INSTEAD THANK YOU? ⚠️

Report Reply

Reply by Brightt

posted

https://protoweb.org/ is a service hosting old sites similar to the wayback machine, but they also have retrozilla- a modified 16bit mozilla browser made compatible with modern 32 and 64bit computers!

Report Reply

Reply by pretzel1006

posted

blips.club Old Twitter, Still works

Report Reply

Reply by B3etle_Bl0od

posted

thanks this is rlly helpful!!!! :OO

Report Reply

Reply by Miles

posted

GUYS pls dont go to vidlii i just saw some gore and some other disturbing stuff, stay safe :(

Report Reply

Reply by Danny ^_^

posted

AHHH!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!! I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A SIMILAR APPLICATION TO FLASH

Report Reply

Reply by Juvie

posted

Reply by Sid ⛥

posted

I LOVE OLD INTERNET STUFF TYSM 4 THIS :DDD

Report Reply

Reply by Sid ⛥

posted

I LOVE OLD INTERNET STUFF TYSM 4 THIS :DDD

Report Reply

Reply by Dr. Krush U

posted

i dont recommend joining VidLii

Report Reply

Reply by Christian Reynolds

posted
updated

I created Pliko, a retro version of the old twitter! Everything is very similar to how Twitter was when it first was released. http://pliko.net

Report Reply

Reply by win2002x

posted
updated

Reply by BlockheadsTongs

posted
updated

I would not recommend going to VidLii btw, half of the people active on the site nowadays are edgelords that think posting CP, gore, and blatant racism = peak comedy. This wave of trolls happened because VidLii doesn't even bother with moderating it's videos anymore.

Bitview >>>>> VidLii

Report Reply

Reply by mimiko777

posted

this is great, thanks

Report Reply

Reply by Running Man

posted

there's also theretrobook: https://theretrobook.net which was also recently bought by bitview.

Report Reply

Reply by pugman227227

posted

how do i save this page?

Report Reply

Reply by deltaron

posted

kamtape.com - 2005 YouTube Revival

Report Reply

Reply by Slade Rice Watkins

posted

I just became a developer on the rverse team, and we really appreciate the callout here :-) <3

Report Reply

Reply by Melodia

posted

Thank you for the collection, I enojy all of them :D

Report Reply

Reply by z

posted

This is so great! Do you mind if I add this list to my neocities page? I'm trying to archive the new-old net but I don't have a _lot_ of content yet. I'll credit you and everything of course ♥

Report Reply

Reply by David V. Kimball

posted

Outstanding list. Thanks for sharing, everyone! I will be compiling a list for david.qa soon.

Report Reply

Reply by Northpark

posted

bwitter is a redirect page now!!

I'd use blips instead which recently got bought by BitView which is kinda cool.

Report Reply

Reply by ToyDragon

posted

I just learned about the Protoweb project today

Essentially trying to take archived sites and rebuild them into functional experiences, thru a special proxy so old browsers can use it, as well as special browsers they've made. Even simulates older T1 and dialup speeds apparently!

Michael MJD also did a vid on it, which is how I learned of it:

Report Reply

Reply by apphacklike

posted

đây là một danh sách tuyệt vời, cảm ơn rất nhiều vì đã chia sẻ nó !!!

Report Reply

Reply by ༺ཐིjinnཋྀ༻

posted

I really appreciate you putting together this list. Kudos!

Report Reply

Reply by AimForresty

posted

I would like to add ArtSpacious as a deviantart replica! It's going to be similar to old DA and carry many of its classic features.

https://www.deviantart.com/artspacious/blog/

Report Reply

Reply by Alex

posted

So which MSN reboot is the 'trustworthy' project, Escargot or Phoenix? I thought I saw someone say once that one of them was sketchy and should be avoided

Report Reply

Reply by GabriellaExotixxx💋

posted

Someone please find a picnik alternative!! I miss it sooo much

Report Reply

Reply by char

posted

this is rly cool, ty 4 posting this!! xoxo

Report Reply

Reply by ☆LAIN☆

posted

The yesterweb webring has a lot of people's personal websites that resemble those in the 90s! I honestly suggest surfing through and checking them out because you wind up finding a lot of cool stuff!! https://yesterweb.org/webring/

Report Reply

Reply by Dylanmc6

posted

Is there a website (other than Bandcamp) that lets one submit their own music and reminds people of sites like MP3.com and PureVolume? Just being curious.

Report Reply

Reply by Elena

posted

https://jspaint.app old version of ms paint

Report Reply

Reply by Emaemaema

posted

I recently downloaded a audio player called AIMP, it allows you to both use your local archive audios and the cloud, and you can customize the way it looks with different "skins". If you change the settings it will help you find information about the song you're listening to, like lyrics, when it was released and etc. You can also sync it with Last.fm and activate the scrobbler build-in the software. You can use it in both Windows and Android, but I don't know if it works on Mac and IOS.

Report Reply

Reply by ArrogantHypocrite

posted
updated

I found some websites that kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda look the same way they did back in the 2000s:
gbatemp.net (via the throwback theme)

Report Reply

Reply by Kuba

posted

This is actually really useful, thanks!

Report Reply

Reply by The.Online_Mercedes

posted

slink.chat is a texting service that is similar to AIM or MSN Messenger but it's online in a website so you don't need to install an app on a computer for it to work. There's also blips.club which is another twitter revival. damedanespace.com and myspace.f46n.org are also myspace revivals but they're based off on the now defunct windows93 myspace revival so they look nothing like spacehey or friend project. I also use theretrobook.net which is a revival that looks like facebook.

Report Reply

Reply by LIbre Lenny

posted

wow, what an awesome list. Thanks for posting.

Report Reply

Reply by Grey

posted

Went on Phoenix and is it immediately homophobic, anti-vaxx garbage scrolling along the top. Ew.

Report Reply

Reply by Billy

posted

Ad roblonium it’s like Roblox in 2011-2013 so yea

Report Reply

Reply by DeciSpark 🍉

posted
updated

Classicube - A clone of Minecraft Classic (Minecraft before Alpha)

Jcink - A message board host that still runs Invision Power Board 1.3.  Also has a lot of the popular mods of the time.

Lightspark - Another Flash emulator.  It is available as a browser plugin, but only for older versions of browsers or alternate browsers.

Report Reply

Reply by ArrogantHypocrite

posted

Are there any Friendster revivals?

Report Reply

Reply by Sofia Rina

posted

Thanks, you are so helpful. These are internet archive.

Report Reply

Reply by Phexe!

posted

thanks for the list i love it! Seeing the old MSN styles instantly hit me omg

Report Reply

Reply by Kozz.e

posted

Such a sick list, my brain is overflowing with nostalgia, it's buuuuuuurning!!! Thanks for this list

Report Reply

Reply by Bhanu

posted

If anyone is a fan of Mobsters in old myspace, I've found a clone, Mobsters-United

Report Reply

Reply by Bhanu

posted

Great list! Thanks!! 

Report Reply