posted
updated

Forum: Writing and Poetry

What are your worse writing habits?

mine are I miss words out a lotย ย 

Report Topic

40 Replies

Sort Replies:

Getting the theres and the yours mixed up when I'm drafting. And sometimes in later drafts. I have to pay meticulous attention because I have frequent brain-farts.

Report Reply

Reply by RIP

posted

Not being able to take criticism.ย 

Report Reply

Reply by Junky Punky Patrick

posted

Not writing enough or staying consistent.ย 

I drop it for a while then I get really back into it and just sort of repeat this cycle until the end of timeย 

Report Reply

Reply by Creativinsanity

posted

Mines not finishing anything...

Report Reply

Reply by Introvert

posted

Waiting for inspiration rather than making writing a habit. I will go months without putting down more than a line or two, then binge in one day and write ten-twenty pieces. Itโ€™s awful.ย 

Report Reply

Reply by Mary

posted

Not finishing anything, not writing down my ideas, and waiting to get inspiration.

Report Reply

Reply by Taralyn Culpepper

posted

Never sticking with one story at one time. I am like that dog from Up. I like NaNoWriMo because it forces me to focus on one story at a time.ย 

Report Reply

Reply by Bexks

posted

I use to write poems all the time and it was easy and nice....., now when I write I ramble on and on into a story and I lose focus on what i am writing.

Report Reply

Reply by vml520

posted

Never finishing a story because of revision addiction.

Report Reply

Mine are writing little bits here and there and not completing.

Report Reply

Reply by mae !!

posted

my brain goes so fast so often times iโ€™ll miss basic words that tie a sentence together! itโ€™s annoying to go back and read a rough draft...

Report Reply

Reply by Swampbaby

posted

Starting a story and getting distracted.ย 

Also train of thought in my mind, because no one seems to understand

Report Reply

Reply by KONSTANTIN

posted

not knowing when to end a scene. so many of my scenes just go for one beat too long and it messes the whole mood of it up.

Report Reply

Reply by Poe_thetic_lie_sense

posted

Not writing consistently is something others have posted. (That I'm guilty of)

I'll add an additional: failure to re-write/edit.

Sometimes a first draft is truly inspired. But there's always something.

ย Exception: Sometimes stream of consciousness is the point, and mistakes are a part of it.

Report Reply

Reply by Charlotte

posted

Being to hard on myself and worrying about writing the perfect draft on my first try

Report Reply

Reply by Solè๐ŸคŽ

posted

not being consistent and having writers block

Report Reply

Reply by leigh

posted

-- starting a piece with fresh inspiration, and then abandoning it after 1-2 days because that inspiration has been lost.

-- getting distracted by social media.
-- heavy self-criticism and editing as i go along.

Report Reply

Reply by zombiizenny

posted

HAHA, please, I am so bad with useless or inappropriately placed comas and semicolons. For example :

Yeah, I went to the store today, but I didn't really want to go; I just went to get some sushi.

Report Reply

Reply by NilesTheRobot

posted

Getting tons of ideas, but never actually writing anything down...

All my stories just stay in my head, and when I actually go to write something I only write for like a day then give up...

Report Reply

๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ช๐˜จ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜“ ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ค๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฌ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ๐˜ด. ๐˜ ๐˜จ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ค๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜น ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ฒ๐˜ถ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ซ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ต

Report Reply

Reply by Rocket!!

posted

Writing a good story dropping it coming back to it and the changing everythingย 

Report Reply

Reply by EXEROPSIII

posted

with writing poetry this is more apparent with newer writers, and I noticed it looking back at my own old writing is using a powerful format but a simplistic language and mushing them together. it weakens your writing and it's very easy to spot!! this can also be applied to just regular ol writing too I suppose

Report Reply

Reply by august.

posted

not reading enough tbh. my writing is okay if you ask me, but i know itd be better if i read more.

Report Reply

Reply by adam

posted
updated

i use too many commas and put them in the wrong places, especially when it comes to dialogue.

rather than putting,ย 

"'This is an example of punctuation done correctly,' she says, 'You do not put a comma after the sentence.'", i always do something along the lines of,ย 

"'This is an example of incorrect punctuation,', she says, 'Too many commas make it somewhat difficult to read, and also grammatically incorrect.'"

Report Reply

Reply by Ray

posted

I always can't find descriptive words to use that I haven't used the last million times in the same chapter ;-;

Report Reply

Reply by H I M E

posted

I absolutely love world building, and I obsessively flesh out every little nook and cranny of each place and character. Sitting down to actually write the story is a huge struggle for me, though.

Report Reply

Reply by Mason

posted

run on sentences, could literally be the most profound thing ive ever written and it will be fully incomprehensible because i use like 7 commasย 

Report Reply

Reply by trenchfry

posted

Not being able to appreciate my writing. When I read it, it's like hearing my own voice, so I try not to read works that I've already completed. Editing is pretty difficult for this very reason.

I do know that I'm a good writer and that there's nothing wrong with my writing voice, I just hate it because I know it's mine. I'm working on being more confident, though.

Report Reply

Reply by โ˜ natpat โ˜

posted

writing "and" too muchย 

Report Reply

Reply by micahlope

posted

i edit my writing as a go along .. smthing that would normally take 20 minutes to write costs me an hour O.o

Report Reply

Reply by madz

posted

oxford commas lmao

Report Reply

Reply by br33zzz <3

posted

-Never check my work when I have to do it for school

- that and when I write irl terrible handwriting

-A LOT of misspellings if I didn't have google

Report Reply

Reply by evrst

posted

Using a little TOO much description that it gets to be boring and also writing down all sorts of inspirations and ideas but never really wanting to make them into full blown out stories. I also take too long to write a single story and being "satisfied" with it, I'm a harsh critic of myselfย แฏฃ.แฏฃ

Report Reply

Reply by Corpse Groom

posted

I too sometimes miss words when writing, however I believe mine is that I write about love far to often

Report Reply

Reply by Arianingsun

posted

Thinking that i wrote something good and read it again a few days later and realised it was shit and editing, i hate editing.

Report Reply

Reply by Psilocybin "Psi" N'ber-Hermes

posted

I use a LOT of commas and end up showing too much and forgetting that dialogue is supposed to be more than body language and dialect XD

Report Reply

Reply by StarJuice

posted

Not being consistent enough or when you make a character's backstory way too complicated.ย 

Report Reply

Reply by vic_zombi3

posted

forgetting to mention important details, or forgetting important plot points, especially when summarizing or writing a story.

Report Reply

Reply by Lilly

posted

Adding too many descriptive words and metophores that it takes away from the actual intentions of my writing.ย 

Report Reply

Reply by ShadowBunny

posted

Misspelling words

Report Reply