« Goals, Plans, Hopes Forum

Moving to NYC - I know I'm crazy

All my life I have dreamed of living in New York. For a long time I romanticized it until college, when I actually lived there for 4 months for a semester of school. Realistically though, because I am trying to get a job in the fashion industry, that is the place to be to start my career. Living in Ohio isn't cutting it anymore. I'm a firm believer if I want to excel I need to get out there while I'm still young and have no kids. Once i get established in the industry with experience I can branch out to other places. Right now my mentality is "You'll catch more fish in water than you will on dry land."

Have you ever taken this type of leap of faith? Were you scared? Did you have a support system? What kept you going? Did you succeed?

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by winniee

posted
updated

do it! sometimes you just have to do things without consulting anyone or needing their opinions. i've always wanted to move to nyc, but seeing as now i'm having a baby, a visit would just have to do for now. i say follow your dreams and don't be afraid to fail once or twice, nyc is a tough city and it'll definitely teach you things. i recommend starting a side hustle once you get there, most kids who are there have jobs of course, but also have a side hustle and make sure it's something you like to do so you can have fun while making your money if you can! also another tip is stooping! i think there's a facebook page where they post free really cool furniture on stoops that you can go pick up and take home so you can furnish your place! have fun!

right now, my leap of faith is having my baby. i've worked with children for a really long time and now i'm having my own. i'm getting my mental together and my degree so i can provide for him. i have an amazing support system and i'm really happy. i'm excited for this new chapter in my life and i'm excited to show my son all the amazing things that are going to happen for him. 

Report Reply