« SpaceHey Forum

The Power of "SPACE"

Posted by theryanking

posted

Forum: SpaceHey

Honestly, I don't think there is anyone who is quite as enthusiastic about the emergence of Spacehey than I am.

I was a MySpace user...correction, I was an EARLY MySpace user. I was online to watch a budding, barely functional social network, become a juggernaut. I was there when Tom would post that he was going to the movies to see if anyone wanted to join him. I went to the early MySpace parties where there were only 200 people in attendance.

It was a revolutionary and cool time that felt new and weird and exciting. We had personas. We didn't always know each other's real names. But we bonded magically.

MySpace wasn't trying to be, initially, corporate. It was fun and connecting. It was lawless in both good and bad ways. But anyone could join, anyone could connect, anyone could become friends. That was its magic.

I ended up working for MySpace years after its launch. I got there just in time for its heyday, I was there just long enough to see the beginning of the end. 

There are MANY reasons why it ended the way it did, but from a user perspective I think it simply lost its magic. It became too corporate, too concerned with growth and money and not concerned enough with the needs of the end users.  Ultimately, it didn't take much for Facebook to steal MySpace's lunch money. The "what not to do roadmap" was being defined by MySpace.

Spacehey could be another shot at something very special. It could put the emphasis on the magic of connecting. It could harness the absence of fun that once dominated social media. It is possible. It is wanted, and perhaps the time is just right for something good to appear again. Time will tell. What I do know is that there is a power to "space"...I've seen it first hand and I hope to see it again.

Lastly, don't be a stranger. I love new friends!

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by Cashlin

posted

I think it would be interesting if some of us became myspace historians on spacehey by finding old downloads of myspace uploaded to archive sites. or maybe it would just be funny and ironic lmao 

Report Reply