« Life Forum

fellow neurodivergents?

Posted by zombie

posted

Forum: Life

heya! recently a topic between me and my therapist is the possibility of having ADHD/ADD. I have always struggled in school and it's been getting much harder due to covid. I am not diagnosed but I want to know some ways you guys deal with ADHD? What are somethings you do to help you stay on task and overall keep yourself on track? I want to try out somethings before I get a diagnosis and possibly get medicated for it. 

I'm a senior in high school and this has been the death of me, I'm failing every class because of the lack of motivation and being insanely inattentive :c

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by xX_toto_Xx

posted

I know this post is almost a month old but I hope this can be helpfull 

I graduated in 2015 and have the exact same problem still. The posibility of ADHD have made loads of my life much more difficult than it should have to be, and when I graduated I only did so by pure luck and loads of help from my mother. 

Things I have learned that might help
- Overcompensate. If you know you have timeblindness, give yourself more time to finish a task than you normally would. Reading a chapter should take 1 hour? Give yourself 1.5 hours. 

- Have you compiled a mountain of things that you have to get done? Bore yourself until there is nothing else to do. Spread it out if possible instead of doing it all in large chunks. 

- Find something to distract your hands with. I find that when I really have to concentrate I often do other things, scrolling on my phone etc. However, if your hands are busy you can't go on social media or play games etc. I find fidgetspinners and all of those things never work, so I make patches, sow or add studs to my jackets etc. Pick a cheap and easy craft that you can do infront of zoom classes etc

- Rush. They keep telling us to not wait until the last minute with projects etc, which I to some extent agree with. BUT most of the HS projects i did in the last minute also got the highest grade. The key here is that you get motivation from knowing it HAS to be turned in, which gives you adrenaline. Having adrenaline will counteract the distractions, and help you finish the project before you can get distracted and procastinate. Solution to this is to come up with new, fake, due dates. And then trick your brain into thinking this is the real due date. 

Report Reply

Reply by UrlocalPossum

posted

Audiobooks will be your savior in my experience. Usually I’m pretty good at processing written material but it still keeps my focus when I have some audio to follow along to, so if you’re working on something that requires a lot of reading, try playing an audio version of it as you read to help, it’s gotten me through several reading assignments. 

Remind app and other notifications, lack of object permanence is a bitch so it’s good to have something to remind you, if it’s really important I put it in my remind app and set it to go off a few minutes before so I have time to prepare or process and if I need more time I use the calendar app to remind me a day or a week beforehand and then the day of so I have time. 

Breaking things up into sections. So if you have a chore, divide it up into little parts and take a small break between each one so you can get it done, or what I do with assignments (which is divide it into: stuff I do during study hall and stuff I save until I get home.) dividing tasks into smaller tasks can help.

That’s what I have, I hope you find it helpful.

Report Reply