« Travel and Places Forum

Does anyone travel to South Korea a lot?

Just curious about how much korean you need to know to get away with sight seeing there. I can read hangul but my vocabulary is low. I know I could translate with my phone but I worry I will be in a situation where I need to understand quickly. 

Other than that how is life there? I visited my uncles 2nd house in mexico for vacation and it was so peaceful. I loved getting up early and seeing the whole town up and around. I really liked that little convenience stores were within a 2 house distance. So you can buy snacks and drinks whenever and it was affordable. I got a large pizza, 2lt pepsi and 2 giant sauce bags for $7. 

I think If I was to visit an area in S.Korea like this I will have a fun trip :)

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Rob

posted

I know this question was posted 8 months ago, but I just joined SH and noticed it. I have lived in South Korea and would say you could get by in larger cities note being great with the language, but definitely will need to know more of it the more rural places you go.

Google Translate has come a long way over the past 5 years and seems to work well enough to make an idea or message translate. 

Report Reply

Reply by Marceline

posted

If you have to use a translator, use Papago, a translator made by Koreans for Korean.

Report Reply