« Games Forum

Touhou

Posted by Carrie Bridges

posted
updated

Forum: Games

Let's talk about our favorite flying shrine maiden shootemup!
What is your favorite game? Favorite character? Favorite song? Favorite shot type? Let's go!

Report Topic

98 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Carrie Bridges

posted

I'll start!

Imperishable Night
Reisen U. Inaba
Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind
Th08 Remilia solo

Report Reply

Reply by y

posted

double dealing character
yuuka
strange oriental discourse
no opinion

Report Reply

Reply by AndrewHue

posted

I’m one of those people who just like the characters but is really bad at the game lol 

Report Reply

Reply by trip

posted

i really love flandre

Report Reply

Reply by Neonriser

posted

I enjoy playing Touhou Luna Nights on Steam, but right now I'm struggling with the true final boss. :/

Report Reply

Reply by DazzlingGleam

posted

I never really played the games because they were hard as hell lol

But I did play a game called Azure Reflections. It was a really fun game(Also played a demo for Touhou Spell Bubble, its really fun too).
Favorite character? I have a lot, but I really like Remilia
Favorite song? again, I have a lot, but "necrofantasia" and "Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner" to name a couple

Report Reply

Reply by PatchMixolydic

posted
updated

Finally, the forum topic for me!
  • Favourite game: insufficient data for meaningful answer (I've only really played EoSD, PCB, IN, and Fairy Wars, and have cleared none of them)
  • Favourite character: Do I have to pick one? Hina, Mokou, Meiling, Junko, Wriggle, Marisa...
  • Favourite song: Probably "Locked Girl ~ The Girl's Secret Room", "The Pierrot of the Star-Spangled Banner", or SWR's "The Doll Maker of Bucuresti".
  • Favourite shot type: again, I haven't played enough games, but probably Marisa B in EoSD and PCB so far.

Report Reply

Reply by Carrie Bridges

posted

Good replies, fellas!

Report Reply

Reply by traxhm33mz

posted

Reply by Toyota GT86 2017 Model

posted

oh man this thread is old BUT.

i dunno what i like much so far but all of the themes either way are bangers

but just replying because yes i am a fellow touhou fan

also i like nitori a lot her design is neat

Report Reply

Reply by Dedusmuln

posted

o wow was just thinking of touhou

i heard that one oil game is out now i should prob play it

Report Reply

Reply by A B!tch Named V

posted

I love touhou! :3 I've played the majority of them at least a few times, including the PC-98 games, but ngl Scarlet Devil is still prob my favorite one. I really love Sakuya, Patchouli, and Utsuho the most, and Last Remote is prob my fav song!

Report Reply

Reply by Rat Earth

posted

Touhou 12.3, the older fighting game. Tons of fun, too bad there's no in person tournaments really.

Report Reply

Reply by Anam

posted

Eyy, I'm glad there's another PC-98 fan in here! Mystic Square is my absolute favorite, though Subterranean Animism is a close second ^^

As for characters and songs... hm.. For songs, it's absolutely Legend of Hourai from Dolls in Pseudo Paradise, and for characters... does the giant catfish in Hisoutensoku count? I think it's a tie for me between Yuyuko and Mokou because ;w;) their backstories are so painful

I don't have a particular fave when it comes to shot types, but I do tend to prefer the slower moving ones.

Report Reply

Reply by grace

posted

perfect cherry blossom
satori komeiji
sleepless night of the eastern country

Report Reply

Reply by DualFighter1

posted

Subterranean animism
Utsuho Reiuji
Solar sect of mystic wisdom ~ Nuclear fusion 
Don’t know

Report Reply

Reply by Noelle

posted

Eosd Probably my favorite so far 

Report Reply

Reply by Dante !!

posted

eosd, koishi komeiji or tewi inaba, septette for the dead princess or satori maiden 3rd eye, not sure abt shot type </333

Report Reply

Reply by wield

posted

ion play any but the music p dope

Report Reply

Reply by xXxFairyCorpsexXx

posted

rlly wanna get into the games but idk where to start TwT

Report Reply

Reply by Remi

posted

The atmosphere of Subterranean Animism is super cool ^^ All 2hu girls are best girls... My favourite song changes a lot but right now it's Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's "Kappa" ~ Candid Friend! I like Reimu's homing shot types (cuz I'm bad)

Report Reply

Reply by mari

posted

I really like Yuuka Kazami and Rumia! I usually choose homing shot. Can't decide which game I like the most, but I like the Highly Responsive to Prayers and Wily Beast and Weakest Creature and my favorite ost right now is HRtP Konngara's Swordsman of a Distant Star :D

Report Reply

Reply by apollo‽!

posted

favourite game: eosd & pcb (only ones i've played so far lol)
favourite character: flandre scarlet cause i'm a kinnie, but nitori and marisa are huge comfort characters!
favourite song: kid's festival ~ innocent treasures
favourite shot type: marisa B in eosd (illusion laser & master spark)

Report Reply

Reply by Vomahow

posted

Havent played in awhile but i remember TH11, SA was my fav cast, story, and music wise. I am just too bad to get past stage 2 xd

Report Reply

Reply by beetle

posted

i'm awful at touhou so i don't play too often, but i did enjoy playing 11!
my favorite characters are wriggle, aya, chen, patchouli, and nazrin
i'm not sure if this counts for favorite theme, since it is from a spinoff, but lunatic eyes - invisible full moon in 15.5 is really good, i'm just listening to it on repeaT-
i don't necessarily have a favorite shot type since i haven't played enough for myself to saY-

Report Reply

Reply by Fross

posted

im still trying to get through embodiment of the scarlet devil 

sakuya and cirno
apparitions stalk the night

Report Reply

Reply by sharpiepaws⁉️

posted

-my favorite is a tie between 8 and 13! i love the gimmick of ten desires but imperishable night is the first one i got super into and it has TONS to do in it.
- i love keine kamishirasawa i have no particular reason except that i think her dress is cool and i like her dialouge when you fight her in 8.
- i don't actually care about the music in touhou all that much i usually play the game on mute lol. the expert stage in 15 has a good tune.
- homing hands down. it's really nice to be able to know i'm doing some kind of damage without having to check if i'm under the boss all the time.

Report Reply

Reply by sharpiepaws⁉️

posted

@xXxFairyCorpsexXx i'd suggest touhou 8 (imperishable night) or touhou 15 (legacy of lunatic kingdom). 15 is pretty damn hard but point-device mode balances it out and makes it totally manageable. it also lets you save mid-game so if you need a break you don't have to start your run all the way over. touhou 13 and 14 are also good picks. 13's patterns are pretty easy, and 14's gimmick just feels so satisfying. it's pretty easy to get a bunch of lives/bombs in 14 so it's relatively easy in that sense.

Report Reply

Reply by mado

posted

I've been playing Touhou since PoFV was new. Mokou, Yuyuko, and Yuuka are my favorites.

Report Reply

Reply by ‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ 4str0 ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

posted
updated

Patchouli <3 That is all.

Report Reply

Reply by Nikita

posted

Favourite Game: Highly Responsive to Prayers and Phantasmagoria of Dim. Dream are my top two.
Favourite Character: Okazaki Yumemi or Asakura Rikako. Hong Meiling if I have to pick a Windows-era character.
Favourite song: This is a really hard question, maybe Meiling's theme from CtC? I can probably pick a favourite from each game.
Shot types: I don't really have an opinion on shot types.

Report Reply

Reply by Gray

posted

I'm bad at the games but I love them and anything about them anyway!

Okay here I go:

Favorite Game: Either EoSD or DDC. EoSD is a classic and it's art and music just feels like I'm being shot back into the 2000s. I really miss the old world charm the early Windows games had. DDC is the game newest to the series when I finally figured out how to run the games so I guess that's my attachment to it.

Favorite Character: Yuyuko. I just love how knowledge and wise she is despite her calm and carefree attitude making her come off as silly.

Favorite Song: Necro Fantasy. Yes Ran's version and I also enjoy the Remix ZUN made for it in Ghostly Field Club. But if we are going to include every song made by ZUN then it's a tie between Circus Reverie and The Strange Everyday Life of the Flying Shrine Maiden. Both songs from Dolls in Pseudo Paradise.

Favorite Shot Type: Homing because as stated before, I'm a noob at the games. I actually like Sanae's shot type more, it's fun watching the snakes get the enemies trying to fly off screen.

Report Reply

Reply by ★☆ VIRGIN_GERMS ☆★

posted

I WANNA GET IN2 THIS GAME BUT I'VE NEVER PLAYED MUCH LIKE IT B4. WAT SHOULD I START W, & WAT CONSOLES R THEY ON?

Report Reply

Reply by Nikita

posted
updated

@★☆ VIRGIN_GERMS ☆★:

Touhou is available on PC! You can start with really any of the games, but there's lore and stuff that you might want to know (there's a LOT, though, which is why I say just go for it).

The first 5 games (HRtP, SoEW, PoDD, LLS, MS) are for the PC-98, which requires an emulator. I recommend Neko Project—I can even help you with getting the games, setting it up, etc etc. HRtP is more like Arkanoid, so unless you really want to try it, I wouldn't recommend it. It's the only game in the mainline series that doesn't really have the 'traditional' Touhou experience. (PoDD and PoFW are in the same boat, but in a different way)

Touhou 6 (EoSD) and beyond are all on Windows, though I know some of the older games have trouble running on Windows 10. You can find a handful of the games on Steam, too! The Windows era games also seem to be a little more forgiving than the PC-98 ones, because of different mechanics and ZUN's personal growth.

I'd also recommend taking a look at the Touhou Wiki and looking at which games have interesting mechanics to you, which might help you narrow down which ones you'd want to play. If you want to know anything about HRtP, though... I'm your guy.

There's also various manga out there and a lot of fansongs, so you can engage with that stuff as you get to learn more about the world of Gensoyko, too. My only suggestion about that is to get to know the characters as they are, because a lot of fan interpretations tend to bastardize or waifuize the characters.

Report Reply

Reply by Yuchun!

posted

I love Cirno because she is the STRONGEST!!

also a dumbass.

Report Reply

Reply by Jack

posted

My favorite game:
Imperishable Nights

Favorite character:
MOKOUUUU MY BELOVEEED.

favorite song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41rsKG2ZqaQ&t=22s

Report Reply

toho 10!!

moriya suwwako best forgg

i think it said song?? fav song??? rigid paradise!

skuya soloo ♡♡♡

Report Reply

Reply by PURECHAOS

posted

Imperishable Night

Chimata Tenkyuu,

Treacherous Maiden ~ Judas Kiss,

MarisaB (Illusion Laser)

Report Reply

Reply by b3rryfr0gg

posted

touhou looks so cool, but idk where to start!!! i got kobuto v burst battle for my switch but it left me with more questions than answers lore-wise qwq

I do rlly like kirisame marisa!! shes soo pretty

Report Reply

Reply by tommy.cos

posted

imperishable night, subterranean, 18 and 18.5. my favs

Report Reply

Reply by ruebix

posted

im just getting started w touhou and playing from the pc98 ones so i dont have a fav yet

Report Reply

Reply by Spoopz

posted
updated

I like clown piece, patchouli, hatate, and reisen

Report Reply

Reply by Ezelia

posted

Just started using this site like 2 days ago XD

- Favourite game : SUBTERRANEAN ANIMISM !! Touhou 11 !! Seriously, it's just the best. I really like touhou 12 too even though I feel like no one does, lol

- My favourite character would be Okuu. I lovee Nue and Parsee too. Heck I love so many characters ><

- Hear me out. The most UNDERRATED SONG is Interdimentional Voyage of a Ghostly Passengership. Basically, ALL stage themes from touhou 12 are fucking amazing?? Even better than the boss ones! UFO is def my favourite game in terms of music, along with MoF. 
So yeah my fav song would be either Interdimentional Voyage of a Ghostly Passengership, UFO romance in the night sky, or U.N. Owen was her.

- I don't really have a favourtie shot type, I just pick whatever feels best depending on the game

Report Reply

Reply by Ezelia

posted

Patchouli and Reisen seem to be very appreciated by you all on this topic XD!

Report Reply

Reply by yusha

posted

- fav game: mountain of faith

- character: marisa kirisame
- song: im currently listening to several arrangements of Broken Moon
I'm not really that great at the games but I usually pick Marisa A

Report Reply

Reply by DonDoe404

posted

I've only played Touhou 6, I like it, i'm terrible at it but it's fun

I like the lil baka ice fairy known as Cirno

Not sure about songs I've been listening to a bunch of fanmade ones so, Bad Apple and Three Fairies Say Ya!!! by Shinra Bansho

I don't know about shot type

Report Reply

Reply by isoten

posted

Game: IN, he went all out on this one. I've 1cc'd EoSD, PCB, IN and MoF.

Character: Sakuya. EoSD is the first game I 1cc'd and I think she broke me so much I started liking her to cope.

Song: Can't really pick but Lunar Clock ~ Luna Dial is amazing and fits Sakuya's fight so much.

Shot type: Marisa+Patchouli in SA

Report Reply

Reply by hana♡

posted

Imperishable Night and/or Ten Desires

Seiga Kaku

A tie between Old Yuanxian and Dullahan Under The Willows

Th08 reimu/yukari duo was fun

Report Reply

Reply by roderick

posted

admittedly, i haven't played much of the games, but i think my favorites are yuyuko saigyouji, ran yakumo and sanae kochiya. i think their are designs very pretty.

Report Reply

Reply by SalatMan

posted

i know this thread is old but whatever

Favorite Game: propably PCB since i play it the most and its my first touhou game

Favorite Character: i think Reimu or Yukari, not sure tho

Favorite Song: Touhou EoSD Stage 1 Theme (Especially the MIDI version)

Report Reply