« Music Forum

Do you make music? Tell me about your setup! (even if it's janky or cheap lol)

Posted by matthewwb

posted

Forum: Music

I know there's a bunch of musicians on here and I want to know what y'all use to make your jams. If it's your bedroom or garage, what do you do to make the most of your diy setup? if you work in a real deal recording studio, that's so wicked cool tell me *everything*. I'm a huge nerd for this shit and wanna hear all about it.  Make sure to tell me all your microphones if you have any because I love mics. 

For me I work in my bedroom and record in my closet, I can control logic from my phone so I can just sit in my little booth in there and be my own engineer haha. My mics are an mxl770 (first mic from when I was just starting out) a pair of behringer C2s (not good but so cheap they're worth getting anyway) and a sm57 (classic). To plug them into I actually just got an SSL2+ to replace my other interface that broke, and it's actually so sick. I worked in the school sound studio in college, and they had an SSL XL-desk, and the knobs feel *exactly* the same .

I also have some old rack mount sample synths from the 80s that I inherited from my music teacher, I haven't actually tried them out yet because I only just got an interface that does analog midi, but from what I've heard from youtube videos they're actually kind of cheesy sounding retro synths lol. One production thing I want to experiment with is routing different synthesizers through my dsp amp, or different random speakers to give them some character and ambience and make them feel like real physical objects, anyone tried something similar? what do you think?

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Cashlin

posted

i have an mxl770 too! its a nice mic. my first mic was an audio technica usb mic. i think it was an at2020 or something similar. at some point that stopped working because i was carrying it in a backpack to my friends house as a teenager and i think the cold damaged it. but recently years later it started working again which is cool.

i find im mainly using the sm58. it just seems reliable and i think it can help when youre not sure how to mix a track perfectly to get the vocal to cut through the thickness of the track. i have been using the same m audio xlr usb converter with a usb hub so it as the outlet power. someone told me that mattered when i started getting this stuff and i guess they were right. i am still using free versions of DAWS, mostly fl studio, and was thinking of learning studio one or something but havent gotten around to it.

i have the akai mini and basically thats everything i need. its pretty simple. i have some other useful stuff like an acoustic guitar and a bigger keyboard to try and learn actual songs on the piano and stuff. I don't think i was born to be a home recording studio guy or anything but i've definitely gotten better and learned more over the years.  

i guess i could be getting a lot more mileage out of some of the stuff i have that isnt like part of what i generally use most of the time. i have an old roland vs1880 at my parents house that i use to just record little bass tracks for a few minutes when i visit. i also have a tascam portastudio thing and i could probably be learning those and achieving unique sounds and using that to my advantage. maybe i will get better at that. right now im just tryin to learn basic stuff like music fundamentals and try and find some positive direction. i spent a lot of time making really basic noisy abstract and almost progressive type music that i was spending a lot of time working on lyrics for and my process wasn't very producer or final product oriented and i'm sort of just playing an endless game of catch up it feels like. and i think thats more important for someone with that distinct problem to handle and get control of before trying to figure out a cool studio setup that gives them specific capabilities of achieving different sounds, like, i think ultimately thats more advanced and better for people who know exactly what their plan is maybe.

i guess you hear podcasts where mixing guys say you can do anything "in the box" or on the computer but i suppose there's differences and limits to that vs analog equipment in some ways 

Report Reply

Reply by DJ Wayniac

posted
updated

Hi There, nice to see others that enjoy recording here!

I'm current working with an old TASCAM cassette Portastudio and a Shure SM - 58 mic.

I'm recording my guitar/bass parts through an Ampeg PF-500 amp.  I've used it for live gigs but now I just record the pre-amp signal straight to the TASCAM.  I found that running straight to the 4 track sounded pretty weak and I have more EQ control running though the amp.

Guitars being used are an old '90 Jackson Reverse Dinky and an '85 Fender Precision Bass.

The band I was previously in released cassettes and vinyl, but we still recorded with ProTools.  I thought it would be cool to revisit recording straight to cassette and handmaking the inserts.  

Kind regards,
The Capt.

Report Reply

Reply by DoomBoyIIII

posted

I just sit at my desk and use my iphone and wired apple earbuds lol

Report Reply

Reply by Theodore

posted

just started its literally just my phone, my room and sometimes my earbud microphones. i (sadly) have no guitar or drums so i just have to save the ideo for later :,(

Report Reply