« Books and Stories Forum

Book Recommendations? (realistic fiction/memoirs)

Posted by Ratgirl

posted
updated

Forum: Books and Stories

Hey! I'm looking for some cool memoirs/realistic fiction I could dig into. I just finished "Stone Butch Blues" by Leslie Feinberg and I really enjoyed it. Super open to any suggestions, just hoping to learn n grow my brain a bit as I read :] 

Report Topic

22 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Tayla Gaffney Blake

posted

I remember reading a trilogy in high school, by the author Kylie Chan

It's called the Dark Heavens trilogy and was about Chinese demons and gods and some dude name Leo (it has been close to 15 years since I read it)

Report Reply

Reply by Francesca

posted

Hi, I've recently read In the dream house by Carmen Maria Machado and it's a great memoir!

Report Reply

Reply by Geebez, The Nocturnal Scribe

posted

I am writing a fantasy novel series and released the first book last year. I worked on it for over a decade, and am almost done the second book. I've pasted the link to Amazon below.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888X5MC3/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

Report Reply

Reply by TheBigFatCaterpillar

posted

The stars beneath our feet! It's a really good book about this boy who's brother is killed. It's about how he deals with this. Mostly using legos. It feels so casual and real as you read it, it's really good.

Report Reply

Reply by Katie

posted

No longer human 

The setting sun
The lonely city 
The bell jar 
Girl, interrupted 

Report Reply

Reply by edibleconcrete

posted

some of my favorite memoirs are:

med head (tw alcoholism, tourettes, drug use, suicide refs)
a list of things that didnt kill me (tw blood, hiv/aids, child trauma, cancer, death, drugs)
three little words (tw abuse, neglect, foster care)

theres a fiction book i like that reads like a memoir called girl in pieces (tw self harm) and if you dont mind a nonfiction lgbtq history book viral goes into the aids crisis and the lives of gay activists during that time :)

Report Reply

Reply by vulpex

posted

Survival the Killing Fields by Haing Ngor. It sounds a bit foreboding, but I picked it up because I had never really heard about the Cambodian genocide. The story chronicles a young Haing, an OBGYN living in the capital city when it gets invaded by communist Khmer Rouge. It's an amazing, sad story about the mans life before, during, and after the war. The author actually received an Academy Award for his acting in the movie based on his life, and was killed about 10 years later in downtown LA during a mugging. The book is so though-provoking, and so interesting, and has a great deal of history behind the entire uprising and made me cry so many times. 

Report Reply

Tuesdays with Morrie was a fantastic read. It was about this college professor who was dying from a terminal illness and how he chose to live out his days, and just his overall mindset throughout the process of dying. The book was written by a former student of the professor, and was considered the last "assignment" he ever completed, as he would add more to the book after his meetings with the professor on Tuesdays. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ellis

posted

I love Kevin Wilsons books. Some lean a bit toward fiction but most are realistic fiction. They're like Wes Anderson but unmedicated.

Report Reply

Reply by faekal_matter

posted

On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong

Report Reply

Reply by Last_Futurist

posted

This doesn’t really fit memoir but it’s a pseudo-alternate history by Democratic Candidate Huey Long “My first few days in the White House” which is about Huey Longs plans after becoming president.

Report Reply

Check this out! https://a.co/d/aDQGbi0 

Don't ignore just cause I posted a link ;;this is my poetry book which serves as a memoire for my life you might think 29 is too young to have a memoire or even material for one, but I've been on my own since I was 13 and lived a wild, misfortunate life xx

Report Reply

Reply by Eva

posted

The opposite of butterfly hunting!! it is literally so good and it will stay with you <3

Report Reply

Reply by lidia

posted

catcher in the rye is a classic, not too sure about the memoir part, though. 

notes from the underground, because dostoevsky is always pretty interesting

try the outsider/the stranger by albert camus, it's a pretty fun and quick read if you're looking for something easy. 

frisk by dennis cooper is especially interesting :]

Report Reply

Reply by Jalynn <3

posted

okay im like millones of years late but Free Lunch + Punching bag are SO AMAZING !!! also, The Poet X, + Somebody's Daughter are so good too

Report Reply

Reply by JoanneMorales

posted

"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini

"When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi

"Becoming" by Michelle Obama

Report Reply

Reply by smiley._.

posted

i read the color purple recently and it was pretty good

it was an easy read with nice msgs and a good story line would def reccomend u go check it out!

for me it was an 7.5/10 read

Report Reply

Reply by Sofiii꒰ᐢ. .ᐢ꒱

posted

mistborn of Brandon Sanderon

10/10

Report Reply

Reply by MarMustDye_

posted

OMFG I LOVED STONE BUTCH BLUES 

In a similar vein of butch memoirs I really recommend Butch is a Noun by S. Bear Bergman

I also love Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner, one of my favorite books of all time tbh. Another great memoir

Report Reply

Reply by MarMustDye_

posted

OMFG I LOVED STONE BUTCH BLUES 

In a similar vein of butch memoirs I really recommend Butch is a Noun by S. Bear Bergman

I also love Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner, one of my favorite books of all time tbh. Another great memoir

Report Reply

Reply by therabbitheartedgirl

posted

so sad today by melissa broder ! it's a collection of personal essays so so good. also south and west by joan didion it's really good it's a collection of notebooks from road trips she went on with her husband to mississippi, louisiana and alabama in the 70's! 

Report Reply

Reply by mathahix

posted

Ensure your content is original with our plagiarism check Free tool. Instantly scan your text to detect any duplicate content and maintain academic integrity. Our easy-to-use service provides fast and accurate results, helping you avoid plagiarism and uphold your reputation. Try our plagiarism checker for free today!

Report Reply