« Books and Stories Forum

LGBTQ+ story recs

Hi, I’m looking for more LGBTQ+ story recommendations. This can include books, webcomics, graphic novels, comics, podcasts, etc!

What’s on my read /to read list:
  • I wish you all the best
  • Bloom
  • Cemetery boys
  • Kings queens inbetweens
  • Here the whole time
  • Scapegracers
  • Rock and riot
  • Miseducation of Cameron post
So if anyone has any recommendations, I’d love to hear them! Fiction preferred but non fiction is okay as well. Please specify if it’s a comic/webcomic/graphic novel or I‘lol assume it’s a book ><

Report Topic

24 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by danny

posted

red white and royal blue ! its honestly my comfort book

perfect combo of comedy romance and angst <3

Report Reply

Reply by fashionconciouscat

posted

podcasts i recommend:  Caravan, The Magnus Archives, The Adventure Zone

books: tales of the city (the netflix show is also *chefs kiss*) teagan and sera high school, becoming nancy, a gentleman's guide to vice and virtue, the wayward children series, books by kj charles

tv and movies: but i'm a cheerleader (this one is new for me and i am in LOVE), pose, tales of the city, trinkets, banana, she-ra, the haunting of bly manor

there's defo more, but this is all i can remember off the top of my head

Report Reply

Reply by Aubrey Overall

posted

"Crier's War" and "Iron Heart" by Nina Varela. If you're a fan of things like game of thrones you'll like this, it's sapphic and YA. Fantastic world-building IMO. 

"Black Iris" is more.. adult, if youknow what I mean. The protagonist(18F) is highly problematic but you still find yourself rooting for her. She has a complex relationship with two people she met a party (a man, 23, and a woman, 21). Very full of sexual tension and angst. She also mentions not feeling like a man or a woman. NSFW and TW for suicide, drug abuse, sexual assault, school shooting, homophobic slurs, assault.

Report Reply

Reply by Mushy

posted

The Song of Achilles, Any Adam Silvera book, Symptoms of being Human, this is how it always is and Leah on the off beat are just some of my favorites

Report Reply

Reply by rhubarb

posted

fierce femmes and notorious liars by kai cheng thom, a million times over!! also paul takes the form of a mortal girl by andrea lawlor

Report Reply

Reply by Kinnie

posted

I can only give manga recs:

• Our Dreams at Dusk;
  • Handsome girl and Sheltered girl;
  • Tomoi;
  • Soulmate (not a manga but a manhwa);
  • Run away with me, girl;
  • My Lesbian experience with loneliness, etc.
  • Claudine (for transman rep); etc. 

Report Reply

Reply by Vince

posted

Heart Stopper

Girl by the sea
Ranfren

Report Reply

Reply by cpidcup

posted

they both die at the end

red white and royal blue
tsoa !

Report Reply

Reply by Edi✨

posted

Cinderella is dead 

Report Reply

Reply by Blake

posted
updated

For graphic novels + webcomics, I recommend: 

- Cheer Up: Love & Pompoms(Graphic Novel) - wlw romance(One of them is Trans)

- Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me(Graphic Novel) - wlw(About a toxic couple)

- The Magic Fish(Graphic Novel) - It's about someone trying to come out

- I want to be a cute anime girl(Webcomic) - About a trans girl transitioning

- Susuhara Is A Demon!(Webcomic) - wlw romance

- Heartstopper(Graphic novel + Webcomic + Netflix Series) - mlm romance(Can't not mention it)

Report Reply

Reply by emery

posted

i just started reading "hell followed with us" and i really like it! the mc is a trans boy who escaped a christian cult so it really hits home haha

Report Reply

hey there! here's a list of lgbtq books that i've read. these all range in themes & age-ratings, but i hope 1 catches ur fancy :)

• in deeper waters (f.t. lukens)
  • so this is ever after (f.t. lukens)
  • before we disappear (shaun david hutchinson)
  • the sun and the star (rick riordan)
  • call me by your name (andré aciman)
  • a taste of gold and iron (alexandra rowland)
  • captive prince series (c.s. pacat) (3 volumes, also mini-stories which i've not counted)
  • heartstopper (alice oseman) (graphic novels, 4 volumes)
  • carry on (rainbow rowell) (3 volumes)
  • rowan blood series (kellen graves) (2 volumes, to-be 3 volumes)

Report Reply

Reply by lilian_:/

posted

can only rec manhwa

-cherry blossoms after winter(fluffy and cute but has some smut)

-19days(idk if its bl or bromance but GOD DAWWWM)

-salt friends(i cant, its soo cute, kind of a slow burn tho)

-hold me tight(just smut, pure smut) 

Report Reply

Reply by planetfynn

posted

thank you everyone for your recs! especially for more recent ones. i'm just logging in for the first time after 2 years so seeing so many recs for various media is so fun! :3

Report Reply

Reply by vivienne

posted

I recommend paradise rot, but I wouldn’t recommend it for those not faint of heart!

Report Reply

Reply by K

posted

She Drives Me Crazy by Kelly Quindlen is wlw i could not put down!! sporty x preppy so cutee!! 

Report Reply

Reply by °•《Bean sprout》•°

posted

A great queer graphic novel would be Flammer by Mike Curato, it's funny and also pretty heavy at times but it over all is really good, not exactly a romance as much as just the queer youth experience but it's really good!! Another mlm one would be North Ranger, which is a cowboy x City boy just a bit less dramatic, it's also a little emotionally heavy sometimes but it was very interesting and a emotional roller-coaster!! 

Report Reply

Reply by saccharineseraph

posted

always autobiography of red by anne carson! this book portrayed being gay in a different, more realistic and personal way that made me struggle to connect with many other lgbt stories after reading because it was so well done! if youre a fan of the classics like the illiad but not a fan of how much work it is to get through this is totally your book as well. it will be very odd at first once you start reading but by the end it will rock your world! it has a very tender way of looking at the subject, in a way that has realistic characters and the story has a depth that ive been struggling to find anywhere else. you should totally check it out!!!!

Report Reply

Reply by witch

posted

"the song of achilles" and "they both die at the end" definitely

Report Reply

Reply by adam_x3

posted

i would reccomend percy jackson even though the first few books dont have much representation by the second series theres a lotttt of lgbtq+ side characters, also in magnus chase and the gods of asgard theres a bi main character with a genderfluid partner!!

Report Reply

Reply by xX_stAr.b0rn3_Xx

posted

THE FIRST TO DIE AT THE END ITS SO GOOD AND ABOUT THESE GAYS HOWEVER YOU WILL GET ATTATCHED TO ONE OF THEM AND CRY WHEN THEY DIE 

Report Reply

Reply by Nym

posted

Ocean's Echo by Everina Maxwell!!!

i loveee the book

its set in a space scifi setting where some people have telepathic abilities, and the two main characters are conscripted to work in the military together

Report Reply

Reply by PERCY!

posted

There's a few I like quite a lot. There's Hell Followed With us by Andrew Joseph White, a book about a 16-year-old trans man escaping from a cult in a dystopian/apocalyptic world. The author is trans as well, and very friendly in my experience. There's also the great The Song Of Achilles, about a romance between 2 ancient Greeks that puts a wonderful spin on the Illiad. Another good one would be The Sunbearer Trials, which has 2 books and is about a transmasculine demigod son of Quetzal, the goddess of birds and the like. I've also heard about a series called Fairmont boys.

Report Reply

Reply by Nyx

posted

- Heaven Officials Blessing (Tiān Guān Cì Fú) - Book, Manhwa

- Grandmaster Of Demonic Cultivation (mo dao zu shi) Book, Manhwa

- Scum Villians Self Saving System (Rén zhā fǎnpài zìjiù xìtǒng) Book

All three are written by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and have english translations. I highly recommend all three, especially if you enjoy a more xianxia (chinese fantasy, basically) themed world

Report Reply