« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Syncretism

Posted by Conner W

posted
updated

Forum: Religion and Philosophy

Does anyone else identify spiritually with this concept? I've grown up in a Catholic home with my father, but my mother was a Buddhist. My whole life I struggled with what I believed however as I have grown and explored I have come to terms that I don't comfortably align with any one or even two faiths. I have practiced witchcraft, been to Jewish temples, I have celebrated Ramadan with an old friend and I have attended baptisms for my cousins, through all of these experiences I have found truths for my own belief system, and I find it interesting that so many faiths and occult views can and do share many similarities. What does everyone else believe? (Please do not use this thread to attack, or put down any others belief, just remember there is a reason they believe as they do, and we should strive to respect one another!) 

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Soy Boy LaCroix

posted

I’m not a practicing Catholic anymore, but it was how I was raised up until I was in senior year of high school. I used the religious equivalent of habitat for humanity work I did one Summer as the community service requirement for graduation, and then pretty quickly dropped my interest in going to Mass.  

I’ve always admired a smattering of different elements from various religions systems/philosophies/what have you, so I relate to where you’re coming from, even though I’m not well read on spiritual literature at all. I totally agree with where you’re coming from on the similarities in certain beliefs and practices across faiths, which is the element which probably still keeps me curious about religions in general. Are you familiar with much of the Western esoteric and occult traditions? My understanding is that they’re mainly European readings of texts from the 18th century onward from Antiquity and from various different Middle Eastern and Asian (whether South or East) belief systems, but I’ve never really known where to start on getting more informed about the history. I’m thinking about groups like the Rosicrucians, off the top of my head.

Report Reply

Reply by Conner W

posted

@Soy This is actually my first time reading about the Rosicrucian's movement, I am excited to read more! For western cultures I have spent most of my time studying about  Hindu/Jainism/Buddhism/Taoism, as well as more ancient philosophies like the Sumer values, and of course good ol' Egyptian mythos (or as it is known today as "Kemetism"). As for where to start, I know its not everyone's Jam, but Wikipedia is a good place to start and from there I will use the references to find books, authors, and articles to provide some nice light reading. 

Report Reply

Reply by Conner W

posted
updated

@Soy Also I know this name will bring a controversial feeling for many people, but Aleister  Crowley has many amazing books and scripture that will tie together many esoteric values with your traditional monotheistic and polytheistic beliefs. Very good for anyone interested in Occult readings! 

Report Reply

I dunno where I fit in anymore (not that I ever did) - other than being Trinitarian. I have found valuable insights and practices in many streams of faith and philosophy. Right now I am learning about Celtic spirituality as my roots are in Scotland, Wales, and England (Germany, too, but I feel most drawn to and part of the nature-based aspect of the Celts).  

Report Reply

Reply by Robot

posted

I have been to a lot of Muslim places where I have been asked "Why don't you just take it out?" or "Why not?" or "I'm a Christian but don't believe in a god? I just don't want to go into religion". I've also seen a lot of people who have never heard of the term "Islamophobia" and have no interest at all in the concept that Islam is not a religion, but a race or a political group or even a religion of any kind.

This is what I think about the issue and I am glad I've found the answers to these and others.

The question I am most interested in is: why don't people just stop talking and just accept that there is a God or a God who created this universe and we can just live our own way and be like this, but don't really care if it's just because of the religious dogma or because it has no place at all.

This is not a question that I'm willing to answer because I don't believe it's an option for anyone to accept. I don't think that it's an option. The problem is people don't care about the idea of a God or a god that they've heard of, and if we don't accept this we won't have the same freedom to be who we want and want to be as we want to be and to live our own way, we will be a lot more dependent and dependent upon our religion or our politics.

This is not a religion that I've seen and it's something that is hard for people to deal with, especially when we've had a lot of time and effort to find out the answer to this. I've had to do some research to figure it out and I've found a few answers to it that I feel will work for the people I work with. I'm not sure what I would have done without that effort, I'm sure that if it hadn't been for that,

Report Reply

Reply by Cytox.x

posted

I grew up in a loose catholic family. 

I believe the answer comes from syncretism. Arrogance is loud but the inherent connection between all life and the world we are in is louder. Everyone has answers to listen to, syncretism is the only real thing I believe in religiously i think. I don't know whats out there but I know many people probably got an idea and I can see it shared across the world especially in pre-colonized spiritualities.

I don't believe in religion being an arbiter of right and wrong, i think it is more a part of life and we have a responsibility to bring positive energy into the world through our actions, thoughts, and aspirations. 

There is a lot to learn from the folklore and old stories. The allegories are rich and so interesting to have come all the way down to today for us to hear and speak. 

Report Reply