« Dreams and the Supernatural Forum

Do you dream in 1st or 3rd Person

Same question as title.

Report Topic

36 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by 2spliffz

posted

im usually just floating behind my body and i can see all my actions from above, but i can also feel myself doing the actions like im right there

Report Reply

Reply by spiderlegs residence

posted

third usually. i'm not always even there as a character

Report Reply

Can be either or.... In some dreams, it alternates between the two.

Report Reply

Reply by Aiooyuu

posted
updated

Hmm i always view myself in 3rd person but always refer myself in 1st person

Report Reply

Reply by Dead Weight

posted
updated

Until I saw this topic, I'd never really thought about third-person dreams, but I've had quite a few. It's pretty much like watching a fully inmersive 3d movie TBH.

I've also had some dreams where the POV switched not only from 1st to 3rd and back, but also where I changed characters, for instance, from being the chased to being the chaser.

Report Reply

Reply by somniac🧷

posted

It varies. At times I feel as though I am spectating a dream rather than experiencing/participating in it. Other times (this seems to correlate with vividness) I am myself and dream as myself or as another person, but my awareness is more so focussed through the focal lens of first person. 

Report Reply

Reply by Valerwave

posted

It seems to depend on dream to dream.. But most often than not, I tend to dream in first person. Sometimes the perspective shifts -- Who I am may change on the whims of the dream, but most often than not -- It's usually in first person.

I've had dreams take place in third person. ..Sometimes I've had dreams that start in first person and go into third person, and vice versa. Strange stuff, isn't it..?

Report Reply

Reply by Deaths_Smile

posted

Most of my dreams are in 1st person, but I also sometimes have 3rd person dreams. Sometimes my dreams switch between perspectives though.

Report Reply

Reply by xxstarxx

posted

Both. It depends on the dream, sometimes it'll be first person then change to third and vice versa.

Report Reply

Reply by ray ;)

posted

For me, I've never dreamed in any perspective? When I wake up, I remember the dream, and what happens in it, but I don't remember what it's like to be in it! its so strange... ;P

Report Reply

Reply by Nova.exe87

posted

Allways 1st person for me 

but when i think about the dreams its 3rd person for some reason

Report Reply

Reply by Aaliyah

posted

Both weirdly enough, idk how to explain it but yeah both 

Report Reply

Reply by rexxu ルビー

posted

This post is old but I actually dream in both, mostly third person but it changes depending on what I’m doing in the dream

Report Reply

Reply by CandyHeartz

posted
updated

Dreaming has this perspective that isn't 1st OR 3rd. The closest I'd describe it is a 4th dimension lens. Being able to see yourself in 3rd person but also seeing through your eyes; 1st person. Sometimes it's not even that, sometimes it's a discombobulated assortment of everything I see all at once. 

Report Reply

Reply by Nyx/Clover

posted

Third person! I actually figured this out at a young age because I used to have this repeated dream where I'd go down the stairs at ikea by myself and get eaten by Sully from Monsters Inc at the bottom... except I'd still be able to see Sully after I got eaten, so my brain would replay the last few moments of the dream over and over again trying to make sense of it before I woke up!

Report Reply

Reply by Brucey <3 Yung Gingseng

posted

Varies, but I'm mostly 1st person.

Report Reply

Reply by Sarfiaholic

posted

I think it varies for me!! >.<;; Honestly I have a lot of first person dreams but sometimes I can sort of float "out of my body" if dat makes sense? 

Report Reply

Reply by Crystal Summers

posted

Always in 1st person.

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

Usually, my dreams are in the 1st person, though I've also had a few in the 3rd person.

Report Reply

Reply by h8p@ge4ta!wan

posted

it changes throughout the dream. sometimes i dream in one perspective more than the other but thye always switch.

Report Reply

Reply by Abbster

posted

3rd and it’s like I’m playing the fucking sims

Report Reply

Reply by Taylor

posted

i dream in third but sometimes 1st its funny to watch myself run and stuff

Report Reply

Reply by z0mboy

posted

I dream in first person but its weird bc I speak and think in pictures in my dreams, as does everyone else that happen to be in them 

Report Reply

Reply by z0mboy

posted

I dream in first person but its weird bc I speak and think in pictures in my dreams, as does everyone else that happen to be in them 

Report Reply

Reply by Darkmatter

posted

most of the time its first person, but ive had rare dreams that are third person

Report Reply

Reply by aworldofhoney

posted

I dream in both pretty often. and usually I switch from first to third throughout a dream. 

if its in 3rd person, I don't usually know the people in the dream. It almost feels like I'm watching a movie. But in 1st person, its always relative to my life. 

Report Reply

Reply by Helios (he)

posted

Reply by Ashkiriel

posted

Mostly in 1st person but in some rare moments, in 3rd person. 

Report Reply

Reply by ✭ star laveaux ✭

posted

I only dream in first person. it's always so real to me. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ratz🐀

posted

I dream in first person and honestly didn’t know other people dreamt in third 

Report Reply

Reply by ChelsMoiese✨💜

posted

It all depends. If it’s something about to happen or what I need to know for my future it’s 1st person. If it’s just a random dream third. Most of them in the past three years have been first 

Report Reply

Reply by Wynter

posted

I’m certain I dream in between the two. 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝐿𝒾𝓋𝒾𝑒❁

posted

This is a great topic. I had never thought about until recently. Its pretty much always 3rd person for me with occasionally 1st person dreams or some switch ones.

Report Reply

Reply by ReyIsNull

posted

most of the time its 3rd person, but sometimes i can see out of my own eyes.

Report Reply

Reply by Juliette

posted

I'm the same way exactly! I think you're absolutely right that it's an awareness thing. 

Report Reply

Reply by Renee Morrison

posted

For me it varies a little bit. I'm a very lucid dreamer most of the time so when I'm aware I'm dreaming in first person. Dreams where I'm not aware I will be dreaming in third person but usually through the course of the dream I become aware and switch to first person. 

Report Reply