« Writing and Poetry Forum

What is your writing ritual?

What is your writing ritual? 

A cup of coffee? Tea? A glass of wine or gimlet? Do you prefer music in the background? White noise? Or complete silence? Where do you write? How often? What helps you write your best lines?

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Waynes

posted

I've never thought about this much before but I guess a quiet place to think. I also prefer more to write with a pen than type it down. However, recently I've been using my laptop more. I installed a typewriter app and that has been a nice experience for free writing. I like the sound of the keys and it does the whole no erasures shenanigans. 

What about you?

Report Reply

Reply by S P Lowe

posted

@Wayne What is the typewriter app called? 

Pen and paper are my jam, too. I write more if I do not have social media distracting me. Unfortunately, I'm the kind of writer who sits down to write but then immediately hops on to Facebook and Twitter. To prevent this, I get everything down on paper first and then type it up while editing.

Report Reply

Reply by S P Lowe

posted

@Starbreaker Sounds like you have a great support team! What is on your playlist?

Report Reply

Reply by Brian Palmer

posted

I have to write with film scores (pretty much anything by Thomas Newman, with occasional appearances by Alexandre Desplat)/instrumental music (i.e., various entries in the Final Fantasy video game series, or any of those 8-hour-long, coffeehouse-type-ambiance compilations you see on YouTube, etc.) in the background—it helps get me into the zone, so to speak, increases my focus. But if there are words in the music, forget it—all my concentration goes immediately to the words! 

So, music is a given, and while I usually have my water bottle nearby, I'm often so focused on the writing that I don't even take any sips from it!

Report Reply

Reply by MoFoMi

posted

I usually start up at night or later in the day. I get a drink- hot cocoa or a soda- and I turn on my grow light that I also use as a desk light then I open Youtube on one half of my screen and my writing stuff on the other. I usually watch a 'let's play' (videogame playthrough) or something really chatty that I can kinda tune out. 

Then I just start writing on google docs. 

Sometimes I listen to music but if I get into it too much I end up distracted so I usually steer away from anything like story related song playlists unless it's just music with no singing. 

Report Reply

Reply by Bunny._.inc

posted

I usually write when im in the middle of breakdowns or when im very stressed. so i cry like a bitch and write poetry about whatever is bothering me

Report Reply

i usually get bombarded with inspiration a few times a year and thats when  i write my stuff in batches. if i am trying to work on my skills i will makesure my space is clean. i also need a drink to stay hydrated and backgrounded music. no distractions.

Report Reply