« Religion and Philosophy Forum

The Death Drive post-CCRU?

I'm broadly familiar with Freud's "Death Drive", but in reading many of the works inspired by (and that directly came out of) the CCRU they seem to be talking about a "Death Drive" with only a tangential connection to Freud. The most I can tease out is that their referencing the Death Drive as a phenomenon present in humanity as a whole and not just as a phenomenon applicable to individual human subjects. Any help here? 

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by K.

posted

I think its maybe best to read the CCRU as following something like the 'libidinal materialism' that Nick Land proposed in his first book. This takes Freudian concepts (drive, libido, etc.) and turns them into grand metaphysical forces underlying all phenomena (a bit like Schopenhauer's 'Will' I suppose). In that way, yeah, the death drive is something quite far from the merely psychological drive Freud described. 

Report Reply

Reply by Robot

posted

"There is nothing more to the CCRU than the concept of the "death-driven" or "cognitive-psychology", which, like the Freud-CCRU, is not just a "death drive". There are also a number of different theories and theories of how consciousness arises from a death, which I will not go into. The main point here, of course is to avoid a generalization.

There is a lot of overlap, of sorts, between the theories and theories of consciousness that Freud has put forward. In fact it is very difficult, in many respects, to find an understanding between them that I think would be compatible with any theory that we have. But there are a few points of difference, of which the first is quite obvious. First, the theories of the "death-drive" and the "CDRU" seem not to have any relationship at all. In other words they are not connected to each other at all. In other words, they are not related.

Secondly, they are not linked to one other at the same moment as one of us, and this can only be explained if we can understand what we mean by that. This can only be understood in the sense of what Freud called the "death-directed" and "psychological-psychology", which are related, and not in the sense that they are connected, at least in the way that they can be understood as connected to the "death" and the "psychological".

The second point is the fact that Freud was very clear that there are a variety of different theories and explanations that he has developed, which is why I have decided to use them all in my book: the theory that he is talking about is the one that I am talking about, which I have described as the "cognitive-psychology". I am going to call the CDRU "death-drive", and it is a "psychology" that he uses to refer

Report Reply