« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Do you have questions about the bible?

Post your bible questions here...

Report Topic

25 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by TinoRomanzio

posted

i love God. someone told me bout ezekiel and it kinda scared me man just bein real with u.

I will carry out great vengeance on them and punish them in my wrath. Then they will know that I am the LORD, when I take vengeance on them

i dont want Him to punish me. i hope he loves me. how bout you?

Report Reply

Reply by Nein MC

posted

So you have to believe God sacrificed himself (and what a heartbreaking sacrifice that was.. to suffer for an infinitely short amount of time compared to the whole being immortal thing) to appease himself from punishing you for your sins, but if you don't believe it (say, because God didn't "pull" you), that actually didn't happen and is meaningless. But it's your fault for not believing it, not God for being so utterly convoluted and unable to create something that doesn't upset him.

Basically my question is, how is that no just a bunch of fear-laced doublethink, and the first step to what became modern totalitarianism? Yeah yeah I get the cute threats, and the cute promises, but can you step back for a sec and actually take it all in?

Report Reply

Reply by Jake

posted

╭━┳━╭━╭━╮╮
┃┈┈┈┣▅╋▅┫┃
┃┈┃┈╰━╰━━━━━━╮
╰┳╯┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈◢▉◣
╲┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈▉▉▉
╲┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈◥▉◤
╲┃┈┈┈┈╭━┳━━━━╯
╲┣━━━━━━┫

Report Reply

Reply by Fabian Dee

posted
updated

are you going to answer the questions? I've not seen any answer yet. How about, why is the concept of Hell not present in the OT but it is briefly mentioned in the NT in an ambiguous manner, yet it is seen as a core part of the Christian religion and how can it be interpreted in any other way than the two volumes representing different religions? Also why is Lucifer called Satan when the word Lucifer only appears once in the OT and not in the context of Satan? And why is the fallen angel in the OT assumed to be Satan when he is not named as such. And why is the role of Satan markedly different in the NT compared with the OT where he doesn't appear at all except in the role of HaSatan, the right arm of God, the judge?

Report Reply

Reply by Shane Victoria

posted
updated

@TinoRomanzio

Hi! From reading the verse within the passage context: The Philistines are the ones under God's wrath. 
Now while God's wrath is something to worry about, it doesn't sound like you need to.
 If you love God, believe in Him and receive His gift of salvation, you become His child.
Know this, God already loved you before you knew that. He loves you now and he's with you now. 

Now this is something I struggle with, I feel like I have to do more things that can make me earn His love. Like I have to be better for Him to accept me. But he already does. We are saved by grace through faith and faith is trusting in Him, having confidence that He is who he says He is.

@★ 𝐩𝕣Ỗ千𝐄𝓢𝔰๏ℝ ᗪ𝓋𝐫𝕜 Ⓨ𝓋Ğ𝔳𝔪𝔦 💢✋

I can address sexism in the bible in general terms. Please let me know specific passages if this answer is not satisfying.

Sexism in the bible started in Genesis. In the sense that when the Fall came in the garden not only was humankind separated from God. Adam and Eve; Man and Woman were separated from each other. Sexism was birthed through Sin. It was a culture norm definitely. Does that mean it was accepted or it was okay in God's eyes? No. The Bible shows sexism as it shows many other sins. And it is refuted in the actions and words of Jesus Christ. 

@Fabian Dee
Okay I think there are three questions here and I'm learning about this as well. So why not link you?  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6xRA2jwYGM&ab_channel=MikeWinger

Report Reply

Reply by Tamagoth3

posted

Is Heaven a prison?

Report Reply

Reply by Elohimless 🤘🇵🇷

posted

Why does the Bible contain contradictions & discrepancies? I thought the ✡ ✝ "god" was "perfect"? 

P.S: I am a non-believer. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ray Pelletier

posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tp0UNcjzl8&t=1086s

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕓𝕚𝕫𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕖𝕗𝕒𝕖

posted

How could god be omnipotent and omnibenevolent if he makes contradictions and demands the slaughter of babies?

Report Reply

Reply by che.taviaa

posted

I've been on a spiritual journey and belevie in the one true god the source of love, but I get told that its evil doing chakra work and and energy healing? does god truly think its evil?

Report Reply

Reply by Antonio Smith

posted

Yo! 

I am a Baha'i, but I grew up Christian and I maintain a deep respect for and belief in the Bible. I hope people are ok if I hijack this post and provide some of my own perspectives on the questions 

One thing I wanna say that I think will address several of the comments at once is this: 
As a Baha'i, I believe in something call progressive revelation. This is the idea that human beings are constantly evolving and therefore God sends us teachers to teach us according to our current level of understanding. The Bible shows progressive revelation so perfectly that I can't believe that Christians don't talk about it. 

So when we were just beginning to operate as societies rather than just individuals, God sent Adam as the first Prophet. He was the first man in the since that he was kinda leading people away from just thinking like individuals and animals and more towards thinking collectively and civilized (thinking about how your actions affect others). I find it interesting that Adam was born around the Tigris and Euphrates around 6000 years ago and also Mesopotamia (the first human civilization) emerged in that same area around that same time. 

Anyways, after we grew some and Adam's teachings were a bit corrupted, God sent Abraham to refresh those teachings and specifically to begin discussing that there is only one God and teach people against worshiping false idols. He had sons and grandsons that, for the most part, followed in His way and spread His teachings. 

Then, when humanity grew to a new level of understanding, God sent Moses to extend those teachings further. Moses was the first Prophet to create a constitution and code of laws based on God's teachings (At least He is the first one that I am aware of). He helped Israel to emerge as a full fledge nation in its own right.  The Israelites followed the teachings of Moses (with a lot of slip ups) for a really long time and gradually humanity developed to a new level of understanding.

Then God sent Jesus, Who is the first universal prophet that we know a lot about. Of course, there were other universal prophets such as melchizedek, but we (I) really don't know much about  Him. Jesus took the laws of Moses to the next level saying that it's not about just following a code of laws, but it's about caring for humanity.  

So we see, that just like we go through school and get new teachers as our understanding develops, God sends new prophets in the same way. Each one teaches us according to our current level of understanding. So, when I think about why there is such harsh language in the old testament and why some of the logic doesn't seem to hold up. Imperfect men are trying to communicate to a less evolved humanity about the ways of a perfect Being. It's similar to how a 5 or 6 year old understands the rules set out by their parents. They don't really understand them well, they just know they have to follow them and that how they communicate it to others. 

Anyways, this one topic got kinda long, so I will do this in segments and hope to address some questions and spark some conversation. As always, these are only the silly opinions of a person who deeply loves God. 

See you again in a bit. 

Report Reply

Reply by Central Presbyterian Church, Fort Smith, AR

posted
updated

Hello all!

We have a series called Difficult Questions where we have addressed some of the problematic things in the Bible. Important: we are not here to convert, change or condemn you, but to help you on your journey, wherever you are. Take what you wish from it, and leave the rest. :)  Pastor Steven discusses two topics below:

Is There a Hell? (Spoiler: Why We Don't Think So):

God and LGBT+ (Spoiler: We believe God loves, accepts and validates LGBT+ for exactly who they are)

For more videos from our Difficult Questions series, click here: More Difficult Questions videos

We hope you have an amazing day! :)

Report Reply

Reply by maelstrom

posted
updated

oh, so so so many questions, too many to put here lol. i guess my most glaring one to this day is still this: how are people (non-believers or people of other faiths) able to conjure faith in the Messiah out of non-faith?

western evangelicals have a cute little habit (/s) of telling people to "just believe in Jesus and he'll save you!!" but... how can you believe in something that you're not sure even exists (the historical Jesus definitely existed; i'm referring specifically to his divinity, which is the heart of the Christian faith)? if the evangelical is the one who plants the seed of faith in the mind of others they're witnessing to, and God is the one who waters that seed of faith, then why doesn't he do this to everyone who listens to the gospel? because that implies only specific people are meant to receive the gift of salvation, which is... heinous, if you really think about it. God's "elite" was allegedly chosen before time itself came into being (think Calvinism).

i could have this discussion all day and argue my points, but i don't think anyone would be able to give me a direct, honest answer that wasn't "just pray about it." because believe me, i've tried. :)

edit: i would just like to add that my questions above are genuine and i'm asking them in good faith, and i apologize if i'm coming off as bitter in any way. i genuinely still look for answers to these questions to this day, if only to give myself closure. i used to be very devout and would pray and read the bible often, but like a lot of people, i had a very difficult time grasping some of the major biblical concepts and coming to terms with them. i remember becoming so discouraged that i couldn't stand to think about it any longer, so i took a break from it, and that break eventually turned into an almost full apostasy over time. the concept of an almighty and loving Messiah brought me a lot of comfort, but there were specific tenets of the religion that caused me a lot of grief, as well, and i wasn't able to reconcile those feelings.

Report Reply

Reply by hila :)

posted

what was the point of God putting the tree wisdom with Adam and Eve if they weren't suppose to even eat from, let alone go near?? 

Report Reply

Reply by Christopher Wu🎹🎵💗

posted
updated

Any Christians here? Add me. I'm Christian.

I'm Christopher, a pianist composer from Singapore! Here's a video of me playing my piano for everyone (Titanic Theme song My Heart will go on), and me at church:

Report Reply

Reply by Darwin

posted

why r yall christians so dumb, thats my question

Report Reply

Reply by Hatcred8

posted

no i dont have also i love god i hear too much christian metalcore/pop punk

Report Reply

Reply by madmaxxx

posted

If god crated everyone and everything, why did they create dumb shit like freewill, sin, war, hate, prophecy and honestly why people? The animals would of been fine alone. And the second one is more about people but why are there so many different “religions” in Christianity? Or from the same bible? You got jewish(kinda), catholic, protistan, Baptist, fire/brimstone, Methodist, latter day saints(maybe), Lutheran and so much more different “religions”(is that the right word?) believing in the same story for the most part. And I guess I have a third question, if god is real and made everything, why did he make people so stupid? Like why would you create all these followers just so they can go off and make up their own story? I might just be one of the more stupid people so I hope I don’t come off as an asshole!

Report Reply

Reply by sm

posted

who wrote it whats their @

Report Reply

Reply by sm

posted

who wote it whats theuir @????????// 

Report Reply

Reply by KaiaPineda

posted
updated

If you can still ask a question, I'd love to resume the discussion.

So, 1. Why do people break the commandments and keep lying? Are they afraid of nothing, or do they enjoy it? Asked questions to psychologists, couldn't find any answers. 2. Paul says in Ephesians 5:5 that Christians are to follow the example of Jesus. For Christians, death means being "away from the body and home with the Lord." What then happens after Christ dies? Why is his physical death taken literally? 3. Who stopped the sun and moon? Joshua or Christ? If someone can give me clear answers rather than referring to https://firstchurchlove.com I am willing to continue the discussion.

Report Reply

Reply by alioth_1,76

posted

can i also read the bible if I'm not a saint? I'm so interested about this shit

Report Reply

Reply by eStRo_4

posted

i think christianity is the right way but i have never been attached to religions since i was a kid how can i draw myself more to religion also now i am irreligious Also, I cannot fulfill my need to go to church or to be baptized because my country is Muslim. What should I do?

Report Reply

Reply by gt@

posted

Refuting questions about the Bible and Christianity 

@neinmc

its quite simple really, denying an eternal, all-powerful and infinite God equals to an eternal, all-powerful and infinite punishment. Most people in the world has heard of the bible or Christianity, that's where free will kicks in, you either choose a life with God (heaven) or choose a life without God (hell). God has a different upset than your upset, Psalm 78:40-72 illustrates that God weeps when we rebel against him. 

@puchoalmighty666

"Why does the Bible contain contradictions & discrepancies? I thought the ✡ ✝ "god" was "perfect"?"

He is perfect, but God did not write the bible, he was the author though. The author in that time meant authority over the writers, and guess who the writers were?

Here are some websites that clear up every single bible "contradiction":

@fabiandee

There are only four verses – quoted below – which could be stretched to imply the New Testament concept of hell, and they all allude to total destruction, not eternal damnation.

'Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, some must die.' (2 Samuel 14:14, Joab speaking, a military commander under King David)

The Old Testament does not teach about any kind of hell after death. In the Old Testament, Jews thought that people – non-Jews (Gentiles) for sure – die ('cannot be recovered,' end of existence), like every other living thing. 

'A little while and the wicked will be no more ...' (Psalm 37:10, Psalmist speaking)

In the Old Testament times, Jews believed that human life is short and death is the end of existence. The important thing is preserving the life of the nation. 'Will be no more' is contrary to eternal life in hell.

'... though the wicked spring up like grass and all evildoers flourish, they will be forever destroyed' (Psalm 92:7, Psalmist speaking)

The same words were used by Jesus in the New Testament (see Insight 4 below). 'Forever destroyed' means the end of existence, much different than eternal life in hell.

'Surely the day is coming; it will burn like a furnace. All the arrogant and every evildoer will be stubble, and that day that is coming will set them on fire,' says the Lord Almighty. 'Not a root or branch will be left to them ... and they will be ashes under the soles of your feet ...' (Malachi 4:1-3, Old Testament Prophet speaking)

Ashes mean no life, no consciousness.

Secondly, Christianity works on the New Testament, not the OT, St. Ignatius of Antioch once said:

"Christianity did not come from Judaism, Judaism is a perversion of Christianity."

Thirdly, Satan has many names, Lucifer is one of them. Fourthly, Satan is called a serpent, not once but three times in the book of Revelation (Revelation 12:9, 12:15, 20:2). When combined with Paul’s words in 2 Corinthians 11:3, the identification of the serpent in Genesis 3 with Satan is unmistakable. Revelation 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Fifthly, Satan is depicted as the Fallen Angel for two reasons, 1) he fell from heaven for his constant rebelling against God, 

The Hebrew term śāṭān (Hebrew: שָּׂטָן) was originally a common noun meaning "accuser" or "adversary" that was applicable to both human and heavenly adversaries. The term is derived from a verb meaning primarily "to obstruct, oppose". Throughout the Hebrew Bible, it refers most frequently to ordinary human adversaries. However, 1 Samuel 29:4; 2 Samuel 19:22; 1 Kings 5:4; 1 Kings 11:14, 23, 25; Psalms 109:6 and Numbers 22:22, 32 use the same term to refer to the angel of the Lord. This concept of a heavenly being as an adversary to humans evolved into the personified evil of "a being with agency" called Satan 18 times in Job 1–2 and Zechariah 3. So no, he was never the judge nor the right arm of God.

@bizarrefae

"How could god be omnipotent and omnibenevolent if he makes contradictions and demands the slaughter of babies?" 

If you refer to my first argument against uchoalmighty666 it'd answer your question.

For the second one, if you referring to 1 Samuel 15:3, according to 1 Samuel it was God-initiated ancient genocide/ethnic cleansing in order to protect God’s chosen people, Israel. God knew the Amalekites would challenge the sovereignty of Israel forever unless they were eliminated from the face of the earth. But Israel’s king Saul didn’t follow God’s instructions to eliminate all the Amalekites and sure enough, the Amalekites were a spur in the side of Israel for centuries thereafter. Remember, this is the OT, God was much more strict in the OT because of the sinfulness of the world.

@che.taviaa 

Yes, chakra is a man-made spiritual concept and is not directly forbidden by God and it is depicted as modern-day paganism 

@CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, FORT SMITH, AR ( https://spacehey.com/profile?id=967584 )

1) There are many verses that talk about hell:

Here are some key Bible verses that mention hell:

Matthew 5:22 - "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."

Matthew 5:29-30 - "If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell."

Matthew 7:13-14 - "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." 

Matthew 8:11-12 - “I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Matthew 10:28 - "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell."

Matthew 13:41-42 - "The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Matthew 13:49-50 - “So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

Matthew 18:8-9 - "And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire."

Matthew 22:13 - "Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and cast him into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’"  

Matthew 23:33 - “You serpents, you brood of vipers, how are you to escape being sentenced to hell?”

Matthew 25:41 - “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”

Matthew 25:46 - “And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Mark 9:43-48 - "And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life lame than with two feet to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, 'where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.'"

Luke 12:5 - "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!"

Luke 16:19-31 - The story of the rich man and Lazarus depicts hell as a place of torment with no escape. 

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 - “...in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might..."

2 Peter 2:4 - “For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment...”

Jude 1:7 - “...just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.”

Revelation 14:10-11 - “...he also will drink the wine of God's wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night, these worshipers of the beast and its image, and whoever receives the mark of its name.”

Revelation 20:14-15 - "Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

Revelation 21:8 - "But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

You're leaning towards Arianism and Universalism, which is super heresy.

2) Verses about homosexuality.

- Leviticus 18:22 - "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." 

- Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

- Romans 1:26-27 - "For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error."

- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

- 1 Timothy 1:9-10 - “The law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, for the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine.”

Moral laws in the OT still apply to us Christians, do not hit me up with the "erm....that's for the Israelites..."

the talk about LGBTQ is very simple. 

Regarding Homosexuality:

⁃ God does not only hate homosexuality he hates all sin ; being homosexual won’t affect you. 

⁃ He talks more about Heterosexuals than homo. 

⁃ The reason why this is so important is because man and women represent him

⁃ Man - Jesus

⁃ Women - the church 

⁃ man and man = Jesus only loving himself 

⁃ Married man and women - unfaithfulness 

⁃ Man and women having sex before marriage - not submitting 

⁃ Women and Women - the church not properly worshipping Jesus 

⁃ God set rules to make sure we submit to 

⁃ one another in a way that fulfills the places we lack. Ephesians 5:21-end

⁃ John 3:17

God does NOT accept sin, why would he? Also, he loves the sinner but he does encourage you to change, to change from sinful ways. If sexual orientation were to be natural, you would STILL have to deny it, one of the first steps into becoming a follower of Christ is DENYING YOURSELF. Please do not promote sin, your church has already stained the legacy of Christianity.

@maelstrom 

Yes, most historians agree that Jesus existed, but if Jesus were to exist, it would be logical to assume he preached the Gospel and revealed his Godhood towards humanity, and the NT has a 99.5% accuracy historically and archaeologically. 

Secondly, he waters the faith of every Christian, as the word evangelical comes from the Greek (euangelion) word for "good news". But referring to evangelicalism, it is heresy and God's grace is not exclusive to any denomination (to a degree of heresy, yes). 

@hila :) ( https://spacehey.com/profile?id=1236553 ) 

To answer this question, the scene of the Garden of Eve, was merely a choice, you either pick an abundant life with God, or your own path, and every person must make this choice. This means that the opportunity to truly be human in the way God intended is also a test. And the choice is up to us.

@madmaxxx 

God created humans so that they could share in his overflowing love, grace and goodness through their relationships with the Trinity. Remember, this is God's intention with us. 

Free will + imperfect mortals is the result of sin, war and hate, God respects our free will. To blame God for the actions of humans while rejecting the idea of human free will is ridiculous.

To answer your second question, Christian denominations are a result of pride. The protestant reformation, concerned with the catholic church in the 18th century, chose to start their own church with heretical teachings instead of looking at the church before them, the church fathers before them, the true, unchanged, apostolic, catholic, and most Holy church - Eastern Orthodoxy.

@KaiaPineda ( https://spacehey.com/profile?id=1548674 )

I don't understand your first question, sorry. your second question is quite easy to answer, there's two different meanings of both deaths, death in that context means worldly or fleshly death, to impale the core of your sinful nature and put your will into God's hand, but the death of Jesus is physical, he suffered mentally and spiritually as well when he got crucified on the cross. For your third question, Joshua stopped the moon, it literally says in scripture and this was before Jesus took human manifestation. 

@alioth_1,76

Yes you can, a person is only called a saint or reaches sainthood when he dies. 

the original post is quite old now and i don't mind if people don't respond. 

Report Reply

Reply by gt@

posted

Websites That Clear Every Single Contradiction in the Bible:

Solutions to Bible “Errors”

Contradicting Bible Contradictions

Bible Contradictions Refuted

101 Cleared-up Contradictions in the Bible

List of Apparent Bible Contradictions | Thy Word is True

Bible Contradictions Explained: 4 Reasons the Gospels “Disagree”

101 Cleared-up Contradictions in the Bible – Answering Islam Blog

Bible Errors Refuted