Forum: Art and Photography

JUST STARTED DOING CLAY ART

heyyy so i just started doing art with clay and so far i have done>

-a x o x o game

-a mini cake

-a mini canvas

-a letter trinket 

but all so far have been mini or tiny .

the only big project with clay that i did that was big is the x o x o one but that has cracks and more keep appearing each day.

for my next project i want to do this<

12 Clay crafting ideas in 2024 | clay crafts air dry, clay diy projects,  diy clay crafts

or

Pin page

the second one i think i can do but does anyone have any tips to stop the cracks from appearing or for the thing to crumbel

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by J1G0 (`ー´)ノ

posted

what kind of clay are you using? i dont know much about clay, but i’ll try my best to help (‘-‘*ゞ

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Maya

posted

i am using air dry clay

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by J1G0 (`ー´)ノ

posted

hmmmm, ive only used air dry clay a few times 「( • ヘ •) but i find that i always use too much water when trying to soften the clay, which causes huge cracks during the drying process so being mindful of your water usage could be helpful. i also find that keeping the clay at a consistent thickness at most parts also helps (like not to thin or thick), oh and using slip to join pieces together ദ്ദി(•ᴗ• ) hope this helpsss

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Maya

posted

tyysm i will keep that in mind!!!

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by cherri corpse

posted

it generally depends on the sorta clay u use. i'd reccommend polymer clays (you gotta bake it tho)

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Maya

posted

oki i will try polymer clay thx

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Maya

posted

oki i will try polymer clay thx

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by AstralAnomaly

posted

The thing that makes air dry clay crack is different parts of the clay drying at different speeds. Try to make a base shape out of aluminium foil and then put the clay as evenly as you can on top. Be mindful of how much water you use. Sometimes I just add some more clay into the cracks and try to connect it by dampening it but I have had mixed results with that.

Permalink Report Reply