« Books and Stories Forum

true crime recommendations?

Posted by sun

posted

Forum: Books and Stories

i'm rereading i'll be gone in the dark (can't explain how well written this is and honestly i miss michelle mcnamara sm) and i've realized my bookshelf is seriously lacking a decent amount of true crime. does anybody have any recommendations?

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Erica

posted

I love true crime.  Looking forward to what others have to recommend. 

Report Reply

Reply by Rachael

posted

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule was great. The author was friends with Ted Bundy and was unknowingly investigating and writing about his crimes while they were happening. 

If You Tell by Gregg Olsen is an insane and heartbreaking story about the daughters of Shelly Knotek. It was honestly hard to get through because of how detailed it was. I listened to the book on Audible and I felt guilty for hearing what happened to these victims. 

I also just read I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. And next up is American Predator by Maureen Callahan which is about Israel Keyes. I hope these help!

Report Reply

Reply by Leah V

posted

I run a bookclub called Murdereader!

Here are some of our favorite recent books:
  • Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters by Peter Langman
  • Little Shoes: The Sensational Depression-Era Murders That Became My Family's Secret by Pamela Everett
  • Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker
  • Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, & the Last Trial of Harper Lee by Casey Cep
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, & the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood by Gregg Olson
  • The Blood of Emmett Till by Timothy B. Tyson
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century by Maureen Callahan
  • Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie & Clyde by Jeff Guinn
  • The Less People Know About Us: A Mystery of Betrayal, Family Secrets, & Stolen Identity by Axton Betz-Hamilton
Feel free to add me or talk to me about books - I'm always down to talk true crime books, shows, & pods!

Report Reply

Reply by 🖤 Death Rae 🖤

posted

https://groups.spacehey.com/Lifeisterrifying

Check out my true crime/true horror group! 🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

Still in the process of gaining members but I’d love to meet others that want to be true crime friends! 

Ps. Small town Murder, my favorite Murder, tenfold more wicked are all amazing 

Report Reply

Reply by moldych33s3

posted

hi hi!!! big fan of true crime stuff and horror here lmao, and I recently got into this book called you're next and its about this high schooler who solves her classmates disseverance and death, there is so much good shit in this book that if I were to talk about it I would be spoiling it like AHHH anyways hope this is a good recommendation!!! :0)

Report Reply

Reply by z3n0c1de

posted

havent read it yet, only bought it so I cant confirm how good it'll be but "Perversion of Justice; the Jeffrey Epstein Story" and "Zodiac Unmasked" seem nice

Report Reply

Reply by JoanneMorales

posted

"In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote

"I'll Be Gone in the Dark" by Michelle McNamara

"Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery" by Robert Kolker

"The Stranger in the Woods" by Michael Finkel

"Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit" by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker

Report Reply