« Music Forum

is punk music dead?

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Liminvl

posted

nah bruh. Punk never died in the first place.
just evolved as everything else in this world

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by will

posted

punk absolutely isn’t dead, but it exists in a mostly different form now than it did decades ago

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by cl0wn

posted

Oh yeah, stone dead. Died of exposure back in the 80s, very sad.
It's why we have post-punk.

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by anthony

posted

Punk is not dead but it's getting there

ive seen a recent commercialization trend and a lot of people that look at punk as an aesthetic or a mostly musical thing ignoring the fact that its an ideological movement based on anti capitalist and anti establishment values

i havent been around long enough but if were looking only at the numbers or past bands and what they were doing its easy to tell the scene is less active or innovative than it used to be and also a lot less edgy and threatening to the outside world because the culture is a lot less prominent which is all a shame

but I still love the punk culture ive been involved with it ever since i started developing my subcultural identity and i met really cool people and heard some really awesome music

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by Bugg Kidd

posted

It depends on your definition of "dead." Punk has birthed nearly every movement, fashion, or music that has strayed from the mainstream in some way or another. Punk exists as the foundation for numerous other scenes, mentalities, and arts that are celebrated now. In that sense, punk is alive in the legacy it has left behind. Punk can never fully die because a desire to reject conformity, to express one's anger and individuality weaves itself through young souls in every generation, and people will find their own sense of "punk." As for the current scene, COVID threw a bit of a wrench in a lot of what did exist. With the rise of platforms like Spotify, many new punk artists are making music, yet the decrease in radio or vinyl means seldom are they recognized by a wider community. We live in a new, digital, world, and punk has changed and will change with that. So yeah, punk, as it was once known, may be kind of dead. But that just means we're on the edge of a modern rebirth that maybe doesn't look like liberty spikes or leather jackets.

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by xXNymph.Not.PsychXx

posted

I wouldnt say it's dead, but it's definitely not what it once was. I think it's evolved and branches out into other styles and subcultures n stuff. However I do think the tiktokification of everything is contributing to it's death, where ppl see it as an aesthetic not like a movement and an entire belief system and lifestyle. But I've started seeing a rise in ppl calling this out and clarifying what punk really is and more of a call to get back to that. So no, not dead, just growing and evolving.

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by chrissie

posted

wouldnt say its dead tbh. its just been watered down to an aesthetic without knowing the history and its lifestyle.Β 

Permalink Report Reply

Reply by 🌐 H∃ΔLER 🌐

posted

Punk's dead and I killed it. Sorry, guys.

Permalink Report Reply