« Life Forum

Waking up earlier (and fixing sleep schedules in general)

Posted by Megurou Nakane

posted

Forum: Life

Recently, I've been wanting to make a better use of my time, so I've decided I'll be waking up earlie, and maybe sleep also earlier, a few years ago I already did this, so here are some tips to sleep earlier:

1. start small: don't try to make a radical change in one or two days, especially if you sleep until 3 or 4am; start to sleep, at least, 30 minutes earlier every day, until you get to the "goal" hour for sleeping, then you can start to make it a habit.

2. Get a sleep routine: this is so repeated but I'll add it here too, decide a sleep routine, but also, don't make it too complicated, it's called a routine, but not because you have to do a lot of things, a routine can be as simple as brushing your teeth and washing your face, keep it simple so you're not lazy to do it, and to make it easier for your brain to recognize it's signaling for sleeping, so also choose activities that you exclusively do before sleeping

3. Avoid some substances/food: at least 4 to 6 hours before going to sleep, avoud consuming substances like coffee and energy drinks (4 hours is the minimum), alcohol (also 4 hours) or drugs (6 hours depending on the substance). Though some of these may make you feel like you're relaxing, most psychoactive substances are actually brain activators, that can make it harder to conceal sleep.

With these steps you can also wake up earlier, as this two things are closely related, as a bonus, to set the hour you should sleep, calculate the amount of hours of sleep you'll get, relatively to the waking hour.

To calculate how much you should sleep, keep in mind that a full sleep cycle lasts 90 minutes, and that it is easier to wake up after a full sleep cycle than having it  interrupted. So, with this info, the formula is simple, just turn the hours into minutes, and check that it is either divisible by 9 or 3, ot make the calculation by 90 if you want something more accurrate.

Report Topic

0 Replies