« Jobs, Work, Careers Forum

Advice for someone who is looking to become an animator full-time.

I have been interested in animation since I was 14, and I know that it is a very difficult path. Having some advice from people in the area would be really helpful!

(Obviously I'm going to try to have some financial stability, and work on something else while this dream waits)

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by iguanaguavaa

posted

Hi there!! I just found your forum post, and I hope that it's alright that I responded to it even after a month has passed.

I'm currently a sophomore level concept art major at an art college! I work everyday with professionals and other students in creating concepts for future video games and films. I can give you some general advice! I don't know if you have any specific questions, or if you're looking into art school at all, but I'll give you some general advice :]

1) The thing my professors preach about the ABSOLUTE most when it comes to getting your foot into the animation/video game/film/theme park/literally anything industry is to have a STRONG portfolio that showcases your best skills. I recommend you make a portfolio site, even if it isn't crazy fancy, just to have somewhere to put your best work and show it off! I use carrd.co (The Art of Iguanaguavaa my site if you want to be nosy haha). For you since you're more animation focused, though, fleshing out your youtube channel would also be a big help!

2) The industry is RAPIDLY changing, and as new animation programs are released, so does the demand for workers who know those skills. It is SUPER helpful to know how to use a wide range of animation as well as video editing softwares. For example, listing that you know how to (and make sure you do know how to) Adobe Animate, Procreate Dreams, Autodesk Maya, Toonboom, Adobe Photoshop, etc etc, makes you stand out more to those looking to hire rather than somebody who only knows how to use Toonboom.

3) Put a lot of passion into your passion projects! Making little short films or just putting attention into your OC's stories and your own personal stories tells the industry that you care about more than just doing work for shows. Working on your own passion projects gives you room to experiment with new techniques, too! Never forget where you started as an artist, never forget the happiness that drawing and making stories for your original characters gave you!

4) Your social media presence means a lot when you're looking to become full time! Create an ArtStation account, and a Linkedin. Don't be afraid to reach out via email or DM on social medias to your favorite animators to ask them what their process was. I'm sure so many of them would be happy to tell you (and if you're lucky, get a mentorship!).

I am more than happy to answer other questions you have :D

Permalink Report Reply