« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

What happened to Clover 13?

Before we start I want to tell you that the images and links are in Spanish, thanks to the fact that the creator of Clover 13 (Fabricio Trujillo) speaks Spanish

Today I'm here to talk about something that no one else has talked about, since this is a very small project, I'm talking about Clover, surely you've never heard of this before in your life, and even less if you speak English. Clover is a browser based on Chromium created by Fabricio Trujillo and other people, Clover is really old, its first version was released in 2013 (I'm not sure, there is not so much information about it) where it was based on Internet Explorer (IE), but we already know that today it is obsolete, so the old versions of Clover are totally obsolete.

But in 2021 they announced through this video that they were developing a new version of Clover, version 13, a version which, unlike the previous ones, which were based on IE, this one was going to be based on the open source project Chromium, but which was going to be programmed in Visual Basic,  The description of the video translated into English reads: 

A web browser in development, only in Visual Basic!  It will work like any other of the greatest!

Clover 13 has been made possible by the Chromium project, in its most recent version for C#.

This browser promised to be very fast, faster than other Chromium-based browsers. The project was named with the hashtag #laversiondefinitiva, which translated into English would be #thedefensiveversion

The project was going well, here's a picture of what the browser looks like:

Clover 13 BrowserWithin their GitHub website they show us several of their functions, the page is in English, but basically what it says is:

Clover, the web browser developed in Visual Basic

Introducing Clover version 13.0.0.0 (still in development). A web browser developed with passion, with all the advantages that the powerful Chromium-based engine can offer.

Yes, you read that right. This browser is developed in Visual Basic. And contrary to what you might think, great results can be achieved with such language. For example, Clover.

The browser had potential, it was highly customizable, it was fast and had a very incredible design as we can see in these images:

Clover 13 Personalization

With the power of a titan

It looked very good, but... What happened?, well I really don't know and it seems that on the internet it didn't either, because the Clover browser with its version 13 was not something that became very popular, but the project was adrift, everything was fine, but as a researcher that I am, I saw several videos of Fabricio Trujillo related to Clover and also a live,  and I realized that it was difficult to program Clover thanks to the frequent updates of the Google Chromium project, so maybe when I realized that it was so difficult I decided to abandon the project, making a browser doesn't look easy, as a programmer I've never tried it, but making a project as ambitious as a web browser based on Chromium is difficult and you need help,  I don't know how many people were working on this project, at the bottom of their GitHub page it says:

Do you want to collaborate?

You can send us an e-mail to the address fisaatrusua@hotmail.com. Join us as we continue to develop Clover and become part of our community.

We need: C# and VB.Net programmers, graphic designers, and visual artists.

As a VB.Net programmer I would like to collaborate, help program the new Clover, but it seems that they stayed in version 13.0.0.6 and Fabricio does not answer any emails, I don't know what happened to him; Is he still alive at least? because the truth is that he hasn't posted anything on his Youtube channel for a long time, his latest video is in which he presents the first Beta of Clover, uploaded 8 months ago. Another theory is that Fabricio didn't have as many programming partners when it came to making Clover 13, and for a single person to do something as big as a browser is very difficult.

I really tried it at the time, when Fabricio just released the Beta, and I can really say that it is fast compared to others like Edge, which is the browser I use daily, it was also fluid and with a design pleasing to the eye, I love its logo, a 4-leaf clover representing luck,  I love the color green, I love Clover 13, it's a shame that it's been forgotten...

R.I.P. Clover 13?

Clover 13 Text

Report Topic

0 Replies