« Web, HTML, Tech Forum

The "Flat" Design and How It Ruined the Internet Interface

At the beginning of the 21st century there was a drastic change, a change that many people didn't like, but others did, I'm talking about flat design, flat design was basically the common icons but with a solid color and totally flat, without any shadows, edges, brightness, nothing, just a solid color,   and in my opinion this change made a big difference in the internet and applications, because this design started to appear everywhere, and one of those examples is Windows 8, an operating system released in 2012, this unlike Windows 7 was totally flat, in fact the startup was full screen, the icons were totally flat and simple, and it didn't even tie the start button, Here is an image:

Windows 8 StartAs you can see, it's a flat, minimalist design, some called it "modern". Did you like it? In my opinion it was pretty, but too simple, the icons very vague and even ugly. But hey, there is a reason I found on the internet about this topic, the reason why they suddenly made this change is simple:

The most accurate theory by many is that they made this change for marketing, being a flat and simple icon, people would more easily remember your logo, your brand, and that is very important for companies, so this would be the most accurate.

But this didn't work, because people didn't like it, users were very used to detailed designs, those icons with shadows, brightness, borders, 3D, etc. So by drastically changing the interface with a simple and even ugly design, it didn't have a good impact. The bad thing is that from that moment on everything changedWindows flat icon pack

This is what flat icons looked like, and there are still people who like this type of designs, in fact on the internet there are many packs of icons to install, but nowadays this looks outdated, and fortunately they have changed the design of the icons, for example, windows 11 showed us the design of "Fluent" icons which are simple,   But with shadows, borders and some gradient, some very nice icons but if we look at them we will realize that they are icons quite based on the icons of Windows 8 such as the Messages icon, which features the face ":-)" on its icon just like the Windows 8 messages icon. Here are the "icons" for Windows 11:

Windows 11 fluent iconsBut I really miss the old designs, those designs that looked like glass, translucent designs, beautiful designs, Windows 11 icons are very nice, but retro icons like the ones from windows 7, even windows XP or 98 seem very nice to me to this day, but unfortunately the interface has changed drastically over the years,   And one of those changes that changed a lot was the "flat" design.

Thanks for reading my forum, write a comment if you like me please, last too long I am looking for information on the internet, you can send me a friend request, I usually accept most of them, you can also send me a message on SpaceHey, thanks for reading, blessings :)

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by NosyCat

posted

I think the flat mania started with Apple, then everyone imitated them because they're the masters of design, right? (Spoiler: nope.) And it doesn't work for a lot of reasons. Not even for logos, because guess what: your company logo needs to be memorable. But there's no reasoning with self-proclaimed "experts".

Permalink Report Reply