« Back to the Oh, The Horror! Forum

horror recommendations?

i'm new to the genre, and i'm mostly getting in through indie games (omori, slay the princess, needy streamer overload, ib, etc.). i want to know what books, movies, games, comics, podcasts, etc. that you recommend of the horror genre? i rly wanna get sucked into the abyss

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Colton

posted

For truly getting sucked in, if you like behind the scenes stuff, story dissections and the like. I can't recommend Dead Meat enough (specifically the Dead Meat Podcast on the Dead Meat Presents youtube channel) its what got me into horror especially because I love horror movie history and behind the scenes stuff. They post a mix of movie reviews where they'll discuss a movie and give their thoughts, which unlike a lot of other movie review channels I've seen is super interesting and informative to watch because they're very well researched and educated, but also not snobby about movies! they're great people with good vibes. But also deep dive episodes into specific aspects of horror, where certain sub-genres of horror stemmed from and all sorts of other interesting things. And also other fun game episodes.

James and Chelsea might have started on youtube but they're now some of the most respected being in horror spaces, they host an annual horror movie awards show with actors from nominees announcing categories and now an actual board of movie critics, all who actually give a shit about movies and the genre, they're lovely people!

For horror specifically it depends on what you like! I tend to gravitate towards 80's movies like The Blob and The Thing because I love fun practical effects.
One thing I can say is don't look at the most popular/classic movies and decide from there. I love horror but wasn't the biggest fan of texas chain saw, halloween or friday the 13th the way a lot of other horror fans were

But this is one of the best times to get into horror movies because horror is branching out so much! What kind of themes/movies do you already enjoy or what are you looking for in horror movies? I could try my best to recommend stuff based on what you like if anything comes to mind.

Report Reply

Reply by LOTUS_START

posted

i really like psychological horror! i also love more of an artsy approach that doesn't just focus on gore, but Other Ways to scare the mind if that makes sense?

Report Reply