« Books and Stories Forum

any marxist-leninist book recommendations

Posted by maxsimo

posted
updated

Forum: Books and Stories

do you guys have any book recommendations regarding marxist theory or history or just in generall??

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by the new leaves

posted

i wouldnt necessarily describe these books as marxist, but they're super insightful and describe (to me, something much more important) the western tendency to be generally destructive and imperialistic.

Ishmael (daniel quinn) a semi-fictious work that uses the framework of a man talking to a gorilla to explore the history of imperialism, and it describes the entire practice of commerce & capital/market as a system of locking food away from the general public in order to incentivize soulless, menial, and tedious labor. the book explores pre-history as well as the development of abrahamic religions (specifically the stemming of christianity from judaism) in response to the agricultural revolution (~10,000 bc). the author argues that the agricultural revolution is what initiated societal structures that favor imperialism and this book is seriously my favorite ever!!!

there is a 3 part series- i highly recomend

the last hours of ancient sunlight (thom hartmann) this book is a bit longer and a bit more boring because it's more statistical, but it analyzes current environmental issues and the impacts of climate change. it reveals a lot of the devastation that comes from a late-stage capitalist society, but also provides insight to like, how many communist/leftist ideologies still favor urbanism, which is a bit of a problem because it doesn't help indigenous people and it doesn't help the environment. this book looks at indigenous/tribal society structures and compares them to the modern, urban-type of family/social structure and hints to why we're all so goddamn boring and depressed and upset and detached

but seriously, both are so good if you like the analytical types of reading

Report Reply

Reply by maxsimo

posted
updated

thanks for your recommendations.
the second one sounds the most interesting to me, so ill probably read that first.
but i still have something to read so itll take some time till i get to it.

Report Reply

Reply by △CCRUFAN0918274536△

posted

more loosely marxist but HIGHLY recommend Deleuze and Guattari's "Capitalism and Schizophrenia" books. think marxist-influenced metaphysics told through poetry whilst exploring schizophrenia, culture and the nature of reality. dense dense DENSE language but honestly truly mystical books.

Report Reply