« Helping each other Forum

How do I Socializing in real time.(or just how not to be awkward)

Never done this type of post before online, but how do I fill in the gap of my knowledge in socializing. I mean yeah, I could go out somewhere and find people to talk to but the thought of just walking up to someone or a group of people and just striking up a conversation with them seems daunting, confusing, and just scary. Doubling that where would I even go to try to achieve that? Cafès are just second work spaces, everyone outside either is trying to go to work, home or just generally give out a vibe that they aren't wanting to talk, and parks are usually where friend groups would hang out. I just want to start living a little more life outside of my small room so any suggestions would be cool

Report Topic

3 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by overcomplexification

posted

I would advise against walking up to a group of strangers and talking to them, you open yourself up to being bullied (maybe that's pessimistic but I wouldn't take the risk). Most friendships start at work or some other place where you're more likely to be forced to interact with other people.

I've personally never even considered making friends by just walking up to someone and talking to them, isn't that also considered really weird nowadays?.

Report Reply

Reply by BLaCK KaT

posted
updated

A different time before social media generation perhaps it wasn't as weird, but I think since we have the internet now socializing in real life seems to be alot more harder. Also I do have people I talk at work but I want to try and branch my socializing skills without having to be in a setting were my only option is to talk to another. 

Report Reply

Reply by Gluma

posted

Depending on your location, walking up to people really isn't all that weird. For me, I've been in rural and suburban areas and the community there can be a lot more open and outgoing, leading to people frequently striking up chats with you.

But those places aren't really the norm. So, in that case, I'd suggest joining any community events, if your place has any? I don't know much about urban areas but in my suburban town, there's always fliers promoting some event, whether that's a local music festival, a clean-up crew, an art festival, sewing club, etc. I've really only been to the art festivals and, I mean, the conversations there can be a bit limiting since those festivals are places that sell things and a seller may not want to spend time just chatting lol but I have had some long talks with some artists, either way. Getting involved with your community opens up a lot more opportunities for you to meet new people and regularly meet up with them, if you're actively involved. If you're in a city, I'd think hanging around social areas such as clubs/bars would have a similar effect...? Then again, I've never been to one LMAO so take that with a grain of salt. I think urban areas probably have local events too anyway, if there's that many people in an area.

Heck, you could even go the online route and make a Facebook account or something and join your community's online group (if it exists). I...don't know much about Facebook but a lot of my family members (in their 30s) seem to make a lot of connections that way. It's a bit similar to my ofher suggestion, since local events can also be posted online along with any local help needed among the people there, but apparently some people can just...chat with other people there so...there's that!

I will say, I absolutely suck at making friends in general, even at school/work. However, I do genuinely believe that getting involved in your community is a valid way to socialize ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Report Reply