« Games Forum

What makes a good game?

Posted by Cinnamon

posted

Forum: Games

Calling all the gamers, in your opinion, what makes a good indie game? 

To me its when they have an intricate story, one with like a ton of focus on the characters and whats makey them THEM. 

Also when the characters stories are connected, so the characters aren't just...yknow, there LOL

Report Topic

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by overcomplexification

posted
updated

Having personality or a unique art direction; I want to look at a screenshot of the game and say "yup, that's [X]".

For me, an example of this would be a game I played years ago called Antichamber.

Report Reply

Reply by 壊死

posted

MUSIC! MUSIC! MUSIC! AND MORE MUSIC!!!

if a game doesn't have a memorable soundtrack, i won't remember it after a day or so. what makes experience a good one for me is 50% story (obv), 30% soundtrack and 20% looks. games with only footsteps + door opening sounds make me lose attention in like 10 minutes

Report Reply

Reply by cl0wn

posted

Oh, you know.

Good stuff.

Report Reply

Reply by LavaLampDrinker

posted

any game that isnt just a fucking cashgrab (99% of modern AAA games)

Report Reply

Reply by smileyblog

posted

honestly for me it's a lot about atmosphere and the way that a game is able to make me feel. I enjoy games that are super story heavy but I also like games like Yume Nikki where the environment carries the entire game by itself. I have been playing a lot of indie games recently and all of the ones that were stand outs had a really solid aesthetic identity. Fatum Betula is one that comes to mind, it's super fun and the polygonal world manages to be creepy and charming all at once.

Report Reply

Reply by VoidTheo

posted

I'd argue the most important thing in a game to be good is to have a soul. Now, wtf does it mean to have a soul, well it's to have an actual personality and not be a gacha/microtransaction hell game.  After personality you need to have some element in your game that's fun, like a good and detailed story, accurate and tight mechanics, fun combat, etc.

Report Reply