« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

There are surprisingly a lot of teenagers on this site

I'm finding a lot of people's profiles are saying they're 13 - 16 years old. This is kinda awkward for me as a 28 year old but it does have me curious.

If you happen to fall close to that age range, I can't help but notice that you weren't even born yet for the MySpace age, or were far too young to have experienced it first hand. So I actually want to know, what kind of reasons you have for taking an interest in the old internet?

I hope I'm not coming across as like, interrogative or gatekeepy. I think it's really really cool to see the next generation take an interest in the kind of stuff I had growing up. I'm just really curious to hear what the appeal has been for y'all.

Report Topic

21 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Lucia

posted

hopin 17 is close enough...

anyways, i've always had this strong distaste for newer internet stuffs- social medias(most), algorithms, smartphones, and such. so i was disconnectin from my social medias, deletin accounts, and i wanted to make a myspace, but that site was taken over by crypto, so i was searchin for alternatives. wouldn't ya know it, spacehey comes up, and i'm a big enough fan to make an account and fully disconnect from other socials.

if i hadn't found this, i probs woulda signed up for Something Awful or another forum, so i'm p glad i found this :) i've met some cool people on here, and i have fun coding my profile. the spammers(cp, gore, nazi, ai, corp) suck balls, though :/

Report Reply

Reply by Cindy Nemi

posted

17 is definitely close enough! I'd say anyone who wasn't old enough
to have seen or used MySpace when it was still around is valid for this
question. Thank you for your insight!

I have thankfully not seen any of the cp/gore/ai stuff, jesus. The corps are weird though. I'm not sure what they get by being here?

Report Reply

Reply by Lowfe

posted

I'm mostly here because I hate newer social media platforms, I love Myspace deathcore, and my friends and I all just decided it would be fun to experience at least a part of what Myspace was like in it's era.

Report Reply

Reply by jojo

posted

i remember being a teenager when myspace was big. it's not surprising that teens have went to spacehey given all the ways you can customize your profile and all that on here

Report Reply

Reply by Black Market Stray Cat

posted

there are a couple of factors, i think.

the most cynical part of me wants to just chalk it up to 2000s/2010s nostalgia being "in" right now, and much like how there were people born in '99 calling themselves "90's kids" despite not being alive for the decade because they thought it made them special for some reason, you're seeing that now with 2000s/2010s kids.

that said, having been born in 2004, this isn't the case for me, and i doubt it's as common as the most cynical part of me wants to believe; i think a lot of people my age and younger are just longing for a time when the internet was less pervasive and less stressful to use. or, to put it another way, wanting to experience when the internet was more "free". strikes me as somewhat contradictory given that a lot of people my age and younger get irrationally bothered by even the most innocuous of things sometimes and would probably not last a day on the wild west internet of the 90s and 2000s but eh i don't have the mental energy to spare for this  

i think, also, part of it might be that some people my age and younger have trouble relating to others within our age bracket, which also makes other social media sites less appealing. people on tiktok seem like a whole other species to me.

personally speaking, i just made this account out of pure happenstance, not really out of any nostalgic desire. being a shut-in gets quite boring and i need something to scroll through while doing nothing, but the thought of making an account on tiktok or twitter sounds about as appealing as slashing into myself with a kitchen utensil, so here i am. i like that i have the ability to set a theme song for my page lol

Report Reply

Reply by Cindy Nemi

posted

the thought of making an account on tiktok or twitter sounds about as
appealing as slashing into myself with a kitchen utensil, so here i am.

No kidding. Take it from someone coming from Twitter, that place is a cesspit and you're better off without it.

See one reason this phenomenon is interesting to me is because when I was a kid, the adults around me would wax nostalgic for the 80s but we could just not care less lmfao. At least the kids I knew, we were very much a "The future is now old man" type generation.

It felt like a stereotype, older people always talking about how things were so much better back in their day but just not really understanding modern conventions and technology. So it feels kind of weird that like, my youth and childhood ends up being the thing of "huh, maybe it actually was?"

I do feel like I genuinely was happier spending time online before the modern social media takeover.

I do think the issues of the modern internet were largely aggravated by smartphones though. Them overtaking computers as the primary way people use the internet meant the internet had to adapt for them, and I think the desire for companies to have a consistent experience across all devices is a huge part of why customization options and the like have been stripped out of everything. And the app store system means companies want to make apps more than websites, something to install on your device so they can nag you with reminders all the time and so you can have a smaller selection of go-to websites instead of the entire web. Made it a lot easier for a small handful of corporations to control everything and a lot harder for independent sites doing something different to break through.

Anyway, I'm glad to see folks without that nostalgia agree in that regard. I hope this means someday we can do something for the better about it. In the meantime, I'm thankful for sites like spacehey keeping the dream alive.

Report Reply

Reply by Blitz Siddhartha 10,000-GM5D

posted
updated

I only came here to show off my profile to unsuspecting visitors

https://spacehey.com/blitzsiddhartha10000gm5d

My Profile Picture: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/shining/images/9/91/Sf_tvland_maxpromo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20181122050451

Background: https://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=3578895&tags=tantei_opera_milky_holmes+sewer+

Makeshift top banner: https://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=980548&tags=isurugi_mio+

Center Image that I have yet to center properly: https://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1821867&tags=ebiten_%28manga%29+

That one image that I have yet to figure out how to place it on the bottom left: https://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=969073&tags=himeji_mizuki+

I didn't join SpaceHey to interact with others initially (Unless absolutely necessary)

Report Reply

Reply by Ollie

posted

Im 13 and im here since most my life has been on the modern day internet and looking back on it now its super sad. I really hate the modern day internet cus i can see how it had effected my mental health in the past so ive started to be interested in the older internet since it seems so much nicer and weirdly nostalgic. Im really bad at explaining things so im sorry if you don't understand

Report Reply

Reply by Charlotte on the web

posted

A bit out of the asked age range (I'm 20) but I would like to share my thoughts on this topic as someone who wasn't on MySpace or similar websites.

First of all: I've had enough of the direction that mainstream social media is heading. I don't want to scroll trough AI generated trash pushed to me by some algorithm. There is little to no human creativity on sites like TikTok, everything is a copy of something. And whenever someone posts something unique, I don't see it because whatever I see is chosen by a computer. I can't search something on YouTube because it shows me content that I've already seen, unrelated videos and only one or two actual videos that fit my search. Pinterest is filled with AI generated images and ads, I can't go two seconds without encountering one or the other.

Don't get me started on the ads! I constantly feel like I'm being advertised to. I had to install adblock on my laptop, and half the pages are blank. But I can't install adblock on my phone, so I'm stuck watching and hearing hundreds of ads everyday while I'm doing anything on my phone.

Secondly: the TikTokification of everything. I leave the app because I can't stand the short-form content. So I go on YouTube for long-form content, but YouTube keeps pushing me to watch Shorts. And I heard that Instagram has Reals (I don't have Instagram so I haven't seen this myself). Why does every social media website have its own form of short-form content. They keep copying each other, so why even bother having multiple accounts on multiple apps if they're just going to show me the same type of content.

Also: mainstream social media is also really corporate. You can't personalize you're account any further than your profile picture, banner, username and bio. I miss when you could customize everything on your account. I vaguely remember websites with custom cursors, and how cool they were to me when I was a child. Whenever I used to go online as a child I was amazed by the awesome websites there were. Everyone seemed to have their own website with cool things that interested them and they were passionate about. Now everybody likes the same stuff and talks about the same 3 things.

Everything is boring and overstimulating, with so much ads fighting for your attention. Problems that the old internet didn't have. And I'm having so much fun! I haven't had this much fun online in a long time. And connecting with people that have similar feeling is amazing!

English isn't my first language so please don't mind any spelling mistakes! Thanks for reading. Sorry it's a long comment, I'm quite passionate about this subject to say the least haha.

TLDR: I'm fed up with social media, so I started searching for other options. And the old internet didn't have these problems. Meaning that I had to return to the old internet (and websites inspired by the old web) if I wanted to connect with people but avoid the problems of the modern web.

Report Reply

Reply by Cindy Nemi

posted

There are ways to block ads on mobile but it's definitely less straightforward and more of a pain in the ass. Typically requires installing bootleg versions of apps which is always a risk. Firefox I think can install an adblock on mobile but as I mentioned before so many platforms force their app on you and make their web experience on mobile trash to incentivize it.

AI has only been in its current state very recently but it really has ruined the internet in a VERY fast period of time. Like we thought NFTs were bad but at least they didn't flood every corner of every creative space online. We are absolutely drowning in abysmally awful "content" now with AI being able to churn out an endless spew of garbage.

I vaguely remember websites with custom cursors, and how cool they were
to me when I was a child. Whenever I used to go online as a child I was
amazed by the awesome websites there were. Everyone seemed to have
their own website with cool things that interested them and they were
passionate about.

Absolutely. The old internet felt more like an adventure, and you had no idea what you'd find. The modern internet is more of an endless stream fed to you. You don't discover anything, you are just there to bear witness to whatever it wants to show you.

Report Reply

Reply by Virtual Insanity

posted

Charlotte on the web, I use Mull browser on my phone which comes with uBlock Origin installed.  Another option might be to set up a Pi-Hole to block ads, if you can set your phone to use a custom DNS server (or point your router to the Pi-Hole for DNS queries).

Cindy Nemi, yup, I get so disappointed when I find something I'd be interested in but it's an app only, no website option.  They can probably harvest more data on people with apps than through a web browser, so that's probably why they love making things app only.

It's good to see that there are young people looking for sites like this as alternatives to the algorithm driven big players.

Report Reply

Reply by ¤ƒYRˤĐËI†Y¤

posted

Hi, I was around for the the OG MySpace days in high-school. Lots of the responses I've read here mention being sick of the "modern" internet and an interest in how the "old" internet was before their time.

It's refreshing to see people of all age groups starting to reject the sanitized and algorithmically-curated corporate content of today's social media juggernauts.

Report Reply

Reply by aster 🐌

posted

I was just fortunate enough to come across this site someday but I actually really enjoy it as a breath of fresh air and hope to make friends that I could talk to almost entirely on here instead of other social medias.

For me the main draw is basically like everybody else’s: modern social media is far too corporate. For me specifically, I’ve been getting tired of the integrated sponsored products that appear on so many content creator’s feeds because they feel so invasive. I hate the fact so many different things are so viciously advertised over and over just begging for our attention and I greatly prefer the simplicity of this site and how little opportunity there is to mass advertise. (At most I’ve gotten friend requests from people who seem to friend EVERYBODY but that’s about it) 

Plus, this format of social media lets you add so much personality to your profile and the way you interact, and I heavily believe people should be comfortable expressing themselves to the greatest extent (within moral reason) so being able to make custom little profiles and even custom little blog posts is so fun and cute and is nothing like major social media customization!

Report Reply

Reply by xXAymGotFkedXx

posted

17 year old here, I don't really care too much about trying to avoid the modern internet, I still really like Instagram, especially for its close friend stories feature and the "notes" feature, but it's just that being in an Instagram community doesn't really feel good, it just feels like despite me scrolling through so many posts and so many "communities" at the end of the day I still feel like an outsider.

This is my first day here, I found this website to have the largest amount of emo/alt people, also I really love the high level of customisation on here! On Instagram it's near impossible to be in a community like this, nobody in the comments really knows each other and Instagram also seems to have a issue with sharing EVERYTHING I like and comment on to every person I know in person, why tf would I want something like that,

Report Reply

Reply by Tech64

posted

13 yo here, i signed up for SpaceHey since, like others, i don't like modern socials, and smaller sites like SpaceHey have a more friendly community in my opinion.

I am fascinated with old tech, mainly because i have a LOT of old computers, and most people would just throw them away, but i like the old games, programs, aesthetic, etc...

I am Italian (yes, 13 yo italian that knows english pretty good, i apologize for imperfect english!) and even if I never used MySpace, it still fascinates me to know what life was like back then.

Report Reply

Reply by God

posted

modern social media is a hellscape . b4 i deleted tiktok it gave me such bad paranoia and constant moral panics and shit . i dont like the idea of content algorithms n that kinda shit--only one i tolerate is pinterest because i just use it 2 hoard pretty picturez . i like the idea of a social media with extremely customizable profilez, forumz, and a lack of algorithm feeds .

Report Reply

Reply by Aspen ☆o(><;)○

posted

I think everyone has already answered pretty well but I wanted to add that it’s really nice to be able to customise a profile to your liking and how one likes it specially ^^ it’s way more individual and helps meet people through the way that they present themselves on their profiles!!!

Report Reply

Reply by ILOVEGIRLIES

posted

Hiii! I'm 14 and I remember finding this on social media a while ago. I decided to check it out and decides that this wasn't so bad! That was how I ended up coming across this and one or two other sites. <3 

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

Modern internet is a cesspool of garbage and toxic waste, plus, as someone born in the 2000s, I enjoy living like it's the 2000s.

It also comforts me knowing I'm not the only one out there who despises modern social media and algorithms amongst other shit ruining the web like artificial "intelligence" (which I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to ever use).

Report Reply

Reply by mjdxp

posted

i'm 21, and while i was never around for myspace, i was on a website called scratch (scratch.mit.edu) which is mostly known for being an easy programming language for kids, but back in the day it was kind of like a social media site of its own which was kind of similar to myspace, there was an active forum and lots of subcommunities (and a LOT of cringe roleplayers lol)

if you're curious, here's what the site looked back before it was completely redesigned in 2011, which is around when i first became active on the site: https://web.archive.org/web/20110202022442/http://scratch.mit.edu/

i was also very active on miiverse, nintendo's social media network for the wii u and 3DS, from around 2013-2014 up until it was shut down in 2017

Report Reply

Reply by Alexander

posted

Older YouTube and flash games are normaly associated with the older internet and that's what I had when I was a small child. I love how simple the website seemed to look ( even if they were ass) and MySpace seems more interesting than Instagram simply because it has a more old tumbler feel. Like your looking at one person and their interest rather than them just being pretty or aesthetic ( not to get political or mean )

Report Reply