« SpaceHey Forum

I've created a petition and solution for SpaceHey to eliminate spam accounts - and I need your signatures!

Posted by Tommy Panzram

posted

Forum: SpaceHey

I think by this point the spam accounts I'm speaking of need no explanation. We're all aware of them - we don't want to talk about them - and we certainly don't want to see them.

After thinking on this a few weeks ago (and being reminded of it by a friend's blog post) I think I have come up with a solution for the spam accounts that can help us, the mod team, and the new users alike!

Please take a moment to read my petition and sign so we can let An/Tibush Labs see what we believe to be a reasonable solution to a complicated problem.

Apologies for needing to ask you to sign in to Google (if you're not). This is the only way to ensure I don't get duplicate answers or flooded in spam myself.
I will not receive your contact information and only ask for your display name to be your "signature"

Read the petition here and please share!

Report Topic

5 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by kou93

posted

Up

I signed the petition

Report Reply

Reply by Cara Incógnito

posted

Signed o/

Report Reply

Reply by Zigzag Buster 🇺🇦

posted

I signed the petition. We’re at war and we’re not playing around. Our vigilance will prevail in the end. Shout the battle cry and the praise of glory to the heroes of Spacehey!

Report Reply

Reply by Tommy Panzram

posted
updated

(OP deleted their comment, but I'm leaving this up anyway as a little note about why this petition matters)

I think the big issue with what you've said is it relies on a lot of reactive ideas as opposed to proactive ideas. IP banning people is reactive and easily circumvented with VPNs and proxies. They've also stated that the reason they don't do IP bans is because this site does not currently store your IP address as a part of user privacy. Mod Hooterbby has an entire blog about this subject: https://blog.spacehey.com/entry?id=879869.

I may have said this in another place, but the big issue is no one has provided solid proactive solutions that stick, and if they have they haven't tried to organize people around the idea. My thinking is that instead of trying to keep them off the site (an impossible approach, constantly reacting to the new ways they find to get on the site), just keep the users from seeing the accounts and let the mods do what they signed up for - but also make it easier on them so they don't have to constantly be on top of the new user accounts. Adding a 3-day wait to new users showing up in feeds would be the best possible solution. 

Being proactive is magnitudes more beneficial than being reactive. I don't see the point in chasing IP addresses or whatever. You'll always be chasing new ones down and banning VPNs in the process. Remove the incentive and you make their efforts irrelevant.

Report Reply

Reply by Яiot

posted

signed 

Report Reply