« Back to the Poetry Pals Forum

Favourite Poem/Author [pinned]

Posted by Ippyhaj

posted

Forum: Poetry Pals Group

Hello,

Comment your favourite poem/s and authors you like! Feel free to write a little about what draws you to them :)

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by Ippyhaj

posted

For Favourite authors, I am studying Maya Angelou at the moment so I would have to say her. They way she uses the structure of her poems to craft their own narratives along with the words that are being told I find is executed exceptionally well. My favourite poem of hers being one entitled "Men" along with all of her work it's incredibly thought provoking without being one dimensional. I might talk about it another time, I've analysed alot of her poetry so I have alot of things to say on them, I've yet to read work of hers that I havent liked. (I don't think i'll find any I dont like)

Online I found this nice poem that i thought it might share:

Wishing Stars by Lang Leav

It's painful storytelling of someone that has lost someone that was dear to them, I find it somewhat relatable. I think the structure is interesting and you can tell it's very intentional with its display. The meter is particularly interesting, seeming to follow an iambic rhythm (atleast within the first stanza) it adds a feeling of yearning as you read it with the pace of a heartbeat, which further envokes the message of having a lost love. Despite this, the author seems to tell us that they have moved on somewhat, but the consistant meter tells the opposite story, they have not yet let go.

Great stuff! I'm sure theres alot more I could say but i'll leave it here for now, just wanted to share :)

Report Reply