« Goals, Plans, Hopes Forum

lifemaxxing. lmfao

Posted by benny

posted

Forum: Goals, Plans, Hopes

this is kinda a shitpost but i'm wondering if any of you have genuinely helpful lifehacks or things like that

i know that i need help lol i'm trying to recover from being a people-pleaser or whatever you wanna call it, i'm depressed in general; i still live w/ my strict ass parents at 22yo, and, like, literally tonight i was scolded for not eating my vegetables (even though i did, i just didn't eat a lot, 'wasn't v hungry)

i'm hoping i'll be able to move out soon, but in the meantime, anyone got anything i can do to feel more independent, more capable? i'm aware that even in shitty situations there's always a more empowering way to frame things, there's always more to do

Report Topic

5 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by vcka

posted

i highly recommend volunteering
getting out of the house and interacting with loads of new people is really fruitful

Report Reply

Reply by benny

posted

thank u vcka

Report Reply

Reply by jayme

posted

Vcka mentioned volunteer work which can also be good for work or educational opportunities that you can add to your resume in case you need more incentive to see long-term goals. Depression sucks and makes leaving the house feel like climbing a mountain at times, especially if you tend to keep to yourself. Simply (re)discovering your passions is always where I start when crawling out of a rut. YouTube and Pinterest are better ways to do this than TikTok for several reasons. Eventually, you might find something you like enough to do outside of the house, like art classes. :)

Report Reply

Reply by benny

posted

thank u jayme!!

Report Reply

Reply by Truxiferous

posted

Not to be the gym bro that recommends exercise, cause I don’t think it’s magical depression curing stuff

But finding some type of exercise you like (for me it’s indoor bouldering) and then joining a group who do that so many times a month, it gets you out of the house, with a good, healthy excuse, and you get the chance to meet new people. 

I personally had a huge problem with making friends with people (I was just awkward and annoying, still kinda am lol) but having a low stakes environment where I was learning an activity I enjoyed with the help of other people who enjoyed the activity got me used to talking to strangers and making friends. 

And hey who knows, maybe you find a guy who knows a guy who can help you move out and get your own place or something (stranger things have happened)

But I guess my biggest “life hack” is refuse to not have fun, even when depression makes it feel impossible to get out of bed (cause I’ve been there) give yourself a reason to drag yourself out of bed, and refuse to have a bad time, and 9 times out of 10 it works, in a fake it til you make it type of way

Report Reply