« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

The TikTokfication of Everything

Posted by K0R3LL3

posted
updated

Forum: Reclaiming the Internet Group

stars

The TikTokfication of Everything

TikTok is one of the most popular social media platforms there is now, and originally I didn’t have that much issue with it. It started from Vine, then Musical.ly, and then we got TikTok. There’s probably something else that comes before Vine but not any that I know of. This would’ve been fine, it would’ve been totally alright if the short-form videos had stayed in one place. But that’s quite literally impossible since every social media just has  to have its own version of the current trending thing. It’s as if the platforms themselves have FOMO, you know? 

Like how Snapchat was pillaged by literally every other app, TikTok is leaking into other places like Instagram and Youtube. And Twitter. And Tumblr. Of course, the algorithm feeds you your interests – TikTok’s is a successful one. I actually enjoy using TikTok because the algorithm is terrifyingly accurate, which makes it hard to replicate. Youtube’s Shorts don’t even come close to actually showing you the things you’re supposedly interested in. Meanwhile, Instagram’s Reels is toxic as fuck. It’s a cesspool of children trying to be edgy and coming up with the most absurd responses they could think of. 

So just from these two replicas of TikTok we’ve distinguished the issues, but we’re not even touching on how all of them are mellowing out everyone’s brains. I don’t know, maybe Covid really did mellow us all out. But I started using the app just at the end of last year, and every time I feel like I’ve been doomscrolling for too long, my brain is foggier and I can’t seem to be paying attention as well as before. Then I would delete TikTok, just to find myself doomscrolling Reels. Shit! Okay, I’ll get rid of Instagram too. Oh what? Shorts?

It’s frustrating! It takes hours off your time and you don’t even realise that. The only thing you would think of in the trance is that you’d like to scroll further down, looking for the end of an algorithm that is meant to be endless. Feeding you content over and over again, but never long enough to let you process the information you were given – no, you must tread on. Keep scrolling. Keep watching. It doesn’t even stimulate you enough, making you use just your thumb to scroll through the videos (unless you count the story slideshows, I guess). The only thing you’re getting is short-lived dopamine and hours of bluelight. 

In the end, you waste a day away because the algorithm tracked you liking a single depressing video, then proceeds to bombard you with even more depressing videos. Processing grief or sadness or depression is a vital part in understanding a person’s character. It’s a way someone matures and build a perspective towards themselves. Being given depressing videos again and again doesn’t help in actually processing the feelings. Yes, it does make you relieve your sadness and feel like you’re not alone, but there are times where you need to take a breather and be alone. To think and understand the experience you are having without any outside influence. That’s how we grow.

Besides all of this, the short-form videos deteriorate our media literacy as well, having us take everything at face value. Why? Because everything is far too short for us to think about. To dig deeper. You watch a 15 seconds clip of a movie – presumably something you’ve never seen – and you don’t think about the story’s symbolism or metaphor. You don’t think of how the media is criticising a topic, or if it has any allegory. Why? Because you weren’t even given the time. How are we supposed to unravel all of that in 15 seconds? You can’t.

I’m not trying to sound like I’m above everyone for not liking short-form videos, I just believe that there should be moderation when it comes to it. The algorithm instantly picking up on your mood and feeding you content to further emphasise the feeling is not a good thing. The algorithm choosing which video should trend based on someone’s beauty is not a good thing. Artists having to  post Reels and TikToks of their art because there’s barely any platform for them anymore is not good. 

The algorithm was meant to make our searching for things easier, suggesting us with content we might enjoy! Introducing us to people we would like to get to know and stuff. That’s great! What’s not great is being fed this content again and again with zero interval to take a breather.

I think that’s all I’ve got to say for now. If you’ve read this far, thank you! This is just the thoughts that have been bothering me (and I'm sleep deprived). What do you think about this?

– xo korelle

Report Topic

11 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Carboniferous

posted

Vine was a mistake, I hated it when it was around, I hate it now, and I hate its vile successors. It kicked off the era of "short form content", which in other words, means "brainrot". There's scientific evidence that it ruins your attention span! People know this, yet they still have a hard time deleting the app and turning their toy smartphones off. TikTok is literally a drug. It's addicting, it's bad for you, you know it's bad for you, yet people still use it.

Short form content is basically like a drug, when you watch a "funny" clip of a stupid person doing stupid things with stupid music playing over it, your brain releases dopamine. Keep up that cycle and soon enough your brain will be addicted, craving the feeling more.

Report Reply

Reply by Mylo Rolfe Author

posted

HOO BOY do I have a lot to say about this, too.

A lot of people are quitting TikTok because it either wastes too much of their time or they're tired of how outrage trends easily just like on Twitter.

I've always liked doing short form content! The weeb space on youtube used to be crammed with it waaaaaaay before Vine and I think it's fun. But I think TikTok's algorithm leaves a lot to be desired and YouTube's is even worse, even outside the shorts feature. I guess that's what happens when you let a robot decide what you should watch next.

For both sites, the videos I hit "like" on are either humorous animations or uplifting messages for the creative community. What's suggested to me are angry callout videos about creators I don't know (nor would I ever watch) and 30 minute video essays explaining why you should feel bad for liking a relatively benign piece of media. Maybe I should thank the bot for reducing my Youtube rabbit hole time by giving me stuff that stresses me out?

I'd like to go back to the days where the algorithm was more user-directed (tags!) instead of machine-directed. While I think algorithm tech (including chatbots) could be used in beneficial ways in the future, right now it's just not where it should be and I don't think it should play the huge role that it does.

Also, endless scrolling needs to die. I think that was really the point where everyone's usage became a problem because we couldn't tell how long we'd been looking at the screen, it all became a blur.

Anecdote: One of the stores half an hour from me had a six foot tall robot that was supposed to detect when shelves needed to be stocked. Ended up with employees hastily putting products where they shouldn't go just to appease it because it would go ballistic. I haven't seen it since the day I almost crashed into it while looking at my phone--and I haven't seen products in the wrong places since that day, either.

Report Reply

Reply by Juan

posted
updated

Here's hoping that the oversaturation of TikTok clones will at least take one of the social network giants out. 

I never understood the appeal of TikTok, like you said, videos are too short to actually enjoy, although some have actually taken advantage of the format, but it mostly works for comedy bits and people dancing, but when it comes to subjects you might find interesting at the end of the day you end up with many questions because you can't cover interesting topics in such a small time frame.

I have the opposite experience as you when it comes to the algorithms. I don't know why but in my case the algorithms for Facebook are feeding me Super Mario World romhacks which I have to admit that I like to watch once in a while. Instagram shows me videos of old toys. YouTube just shows me crap so I rarely click on their "shorts". While TikTok shows me videos of girls dancing to music I don't like and stupid conspiracy theories like certain famous people being time travelers or doctors stealing liquid from your knees, maybe it's because too many people in Latin America believe in that retarded shit. 

I do have to say that with exception of Facebook, which came pre-installed on my Samsung phone, I don't install any social media apps, I browse them through Kiwi Browser. 

Report Reply

Reply by Carboniferous

posted

+Nathan Next TikTok challenge: Infect yourself with rabies challenge

That'll be the zombie apocalypse XD

Report Reply

Reply by K0R3LL3

posted

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if there's an upcoming rabies challenge lmao, people have licked toilet seats +ice cream tubs, stole and damaged properties all for clout. It's wild. It's the way they proudly record literally everything that discriminate them that's really interesting! And I agree with Mylo, tags work really well when looking for things before! It's like the moment we were handed the content we enjoy and a way to just scroll endlessly to amuse ourselves things go downhill. 

I just read something about a mass censorship bill called KOSA and bruh

bruh

Report Reply

Reply by LOTUS_START

posted

i really do resonate with this. i quit tiktok because the constant sounds and short-spanned videos just made it worse on my mental state. it made my audio sensory issues worse. i used to scroll for hours and then i realized: it wasn't giving me joy.

it makes me truly wonder: we aren't even taught how to use social media in a healthy manner. i genuinely think it's a subject that should be taught alongside mental health.

Report Reply

Reply by Majoris

posted

The concept of social medias trying to keep you on their app for longer amounts of time has been around for a long  while, it's their business strategy. But the effects of this were not felt as severely as it is now with the inception of tiktok and shorts and reels and whatever it is other platforms call it.

you analyzed it nicely, short but abundant content has essentially melted our brains into a mush. We can't focus well because we're used to stuff lasting 15 seconds, and we can't comprehend what we just saw because our brains are expecting something else to come along before it can start to think. Like, the subway surfers footage in background meme is not even a meme anymore, its very true for a lot of people

Worst part is that this situation is not really going to improve, its going to get worse.. This style of content, or the system, works very well for what the social media companies want: more engagement, more users, more downloads.. its at the expense of, well, human health, but business is boomin.

It is what it is: brainrot

Report Reply

Reply by Virtual Insanity

posted

"it would’ve been totally alright if the short-form videos had stayed in one place."

Yeah, perhaps.  I was immediately annoyed when I saw YouTube had launched "Shorts", even some alternative video platforms are doing similar things.  

I don't use Instagram, but I hear that photographers (and I think artists too) basically saw their content got hardly any views or engagement once "Reels" came along, so it's like that platform is almost useless for it's original purpose, going from what others have said.

Basically it seems like a platform gets launched for a very specific purpose which everyone is clear on and understands well.  Then a new trend comes along and the established platforms decide they want to do that too.  They don't want people leaving say YouTube to go to TikTok.  I suspect they make their own version thinking that it will keep people on their site, but I'm sure it's not the same and all it really does is water down what each platform was originally made for.  Meanwhile, I bet the people who were going to go to TikTok still go to TikTok, YT Shorts doesn't change that.

You know, back in the days of dial-up internet you were likely getting charged by the minute AND you might be hogging the only phone line in the house.  Back then you went on-line, you did what you really needed or really really wanted to do then you disconnected and went about your real life.  There wasn't as much of this wasting your life away on amusing content just because you could.  Something to ponder.

Report Reply

Reply by Virtual Insanity

posted

By the way, I think you missed an opportunity there, you could have called this "The TikToXification of Everything"!  ;)

Report Reply

Reply by Lucia

posted

with the dial-up part and every minute counting back then- now, everything is on an "unlimited subscription" plan. you can access anything you want, use all the internet and data you want, but it costs you per month, so get your money's worth of it. naturally, people are gonna end up using it more because they don't wanna pay for something they don't use, right? it's how internet works, it's how netflix and streaming works, it's how xbox works, it's how just about everything seems to work nowadays. if people paid for what they used, they'd probably use less and less if they saw the cost there and then.

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

This is another reason why I hate the stupid modern world. Come to think of it, I've had this disdain for the modern world throughout most of my 17 1/2 years of life and the list of reasons just keeps on growing as time goes on.

Report Reply