« Back to the Actual Communism Forum

Sharing theory

Posted by Danielle

posted
updated

Forum: Actual Communism Group

First of all, thank you comrade Alice for sharing Lenin's work and associated study guide in the previous topic. For anyone who hasn't checked that out, please do.

I would like to encourage more sharing of theory along those lines. I am not particularly well read and I think many others are in the same camp even if some won't admit it or maybe don't even think of it as important. And yes, praxis is the principal aspect in its contradiction with theory. We only have so much time to spend on either one, and while doing one we cannot do the other. Therefore I would request assistance from other communists who are well-read and perhaps have put into practice the theory they have read. If we can streamline the teaching and learning of theory, we leave more time for people to put towards work, both for the party and in day-to-day life. Myself and many others simply do not have the time to invest in sifting through all the theory available to us for the right books at the right time. But if someone does that part for me I will be able to sit down with a book and read it and think about it.

Please share in this topic what you believe to be the foundational texts for your understanding of theory and development as a communist and/or student of communism. Please include some details about the work, such as a brief overview, associated study guide like Alice linked if one is available, maybe a way in which it changed how you think or act towards others or towards work and the party, etc. Links to other sites that have something like this is also appreciated.

Sidenote:
The ways I see many students of communism suggest theory to people online is very lazy and feels like more of a casual recommendation for consumptive media than a legitimate attempt to spread necessary theoretical knowledge and build a stronger proletariat and proletarian party. Instead I think we ought to help each other more actively in our understanding of theory. Not just teach others that it is important, but why it is important and how to prove that it is important. We don't want to understand theory half-heartedly and regurtitate what we've read on a whim, we want to arm ourselves with the skills to work through theoretical texts critically, to learn well enough that we can teach others if possible. Dialectical materialism is something that is taught to small children in other countries; we cannot treat those in the US as more advanced than children without helping them get the same education that other children actually receive. I feel this must be a priority for communists everywhere.

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by LittlePete

posted

For people looking for an introduction to Communist theory I found 'Principles of Communism' to be a much better guide than 'The Communist Manifesto'. It's written in a simple catechism format and goes over the basics of what Marx and Engels believed.

I've been trying to read further into Communist theory but I'm a little haphazard about it. I've resolved to at least read the first volume of Capital, a far cry from the short texts like 'Critique of the Gotha Programme' and 'On Authority' which are easy to finish together in 30 minutes.

Report Reply