« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

if i was to code a .html page/website by myself, would i make it a whole website with a unique url if i had the money to power it?

6 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Virtual Insanity

posted

Have you considered setting up an Onion site?  There are guides out there on how to do it on the likes of a Raspberry Pi.  

On the upside you can host it yourself so no need for monthly hosting fees or having to deal with buying a domain, on the downside .onion addresses are long strings of characters (not user friendly) and it will only be accessible by people through TOR.

Report Reply

posted
updated

Having said that perhaps https://neocities.org/ would be the place to go, seems popular on here, might be simpler.

Report Reply

Reply by adelxx

posted

Reply by Zach

posted

For hosting you could buy a domain and set up a server. But unless you have a spare computer or something you can use as a server, and a few hundred bucks for a domain, i dont recommend it for just small personal websites. Instead if you dont have the resources for your own hosting, you could use Neocities! I highly recommend it, its completely free, and not limiting like alot of other free hosting platforms

Report Reply

posted

A few hundred bucks for a domain?  As in USD?  I have a few domains and the annual fees are pretty reasonable, probably less than a pub lunch, like $10 or so.  A Virtual Private Server (VPS) can often be had for half that, but billed every month.  If money is an issue paying the monthly fee for a VPS is likely to be a bigger issue than the anual fee for the domain.

A guy called Luke Smith was an inspiration for me, you can find his Internet Independence playlist here: - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdKZVIGRAKQ&list=PL-p5XmQHB_JRRnoQyjOfioJdDmu87DIJc

If you don't want the responsibility / added difficulty of running your own server then videos 1 and 7 would probably interest you the most.  Plenty of other info from other people out there though, pick what suits you.

Of course you could code .html pages on your own computer and build the website before you ever consider domains or sharing it with anyone via some sort of hosting.

Report Reply

Reply by Carboniferous

posted

Well, if you're only going to use the site as something like a blog, it's probably wiser not to buy a domain name and server space.

I think it's smarter to use Neocities for something like this. While the free version of Neocities gives you 1 GB, HTML files by themselves are tiny. Image files will be your real problem, but even then, you can upload image files elsewhere like ImgBB or Imgur and stick their URLs into your HTML code, completely bypassing the need to upload images to your Neocities account.

Report Reply