« Back to the Reclaiming the Internet Forum

What is the best minimal browser?

I have been looking for a browser/add-on that can block all cookies, CSS, and JS. I know there are a few that do that, but which one would be the best for privacy and decentralization on Windows? (I know using Windows is a cardinal sin in terms of centralization, but work with me here. I am a college student who needs Office 365 for their assignments, unfortunately.)

I do know of the PaleMoon browser and nMatrix add-on, if you know where on the internet I got that info from, kudos to you! Let me know if there is a better browser/add-on.

Report Topic

7 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Virtual Insanity

posted
updated

Rather than trying to find the best browser / add-ons, you may be better off using multiple browsers for clearly defined separate tasks.  Cookies are confined to each browser.

If you have a Google account use Google Chrome for things signed into your Google account and nothing else.  The only exception might be to visit websites to feed Google false or confusing information about yourself.

Use another browser for Google sites you use not signed into Google.  Maybe you don't want your YouTube watch history tied to a Google identity.  Never sign into Google on this browser.

If you use Facebook / Meta / IG etc. probably best use a separate browser for that.

You could have another browser (one of the hardened ones) for general browsing and perhaps another for shopping.  A browser for shopping could have / may need more lenient settings than you use for general browsing.

My top picks would be: -

Librewolf (a hardened Firefox)
Mullvad (a hardened Firefox)
Firefox (but harden it)
Brave

A little behind those would be Ungoogled Chromium and way behind that would be just about everything else: Chromium, Chrome, Edge, Safari, Vivaldi, Opera.

https://privacytests.org/

There is Waterfox, it had been bought by System1 but apparently it's independent again.  I have Basilisk on my Windows drive, but I don't use Windows for much web browsing now so I can't really say if it's good or bad, same for Pale Moon.

For add-ons I use uBlock Origin (for YouTube ads since I never figured out how to block those using my Pi-Hole) and sometimes Privacy Badger.  There is an add-on for blocking JS (except stuff you allow) called NoScript, but I haven't used it.

Keep in mind that the more add-ons you use the more unique your browser becomes, and quite quickly too.  This allows browser 'fingerprinting'.

An example setup might be: -

Google (signed in) - Chrome (no add-ons)
Google (never signed in) - Ungoogled Chromium + uBlock Origin
Facebook (OMG) - Firefox (hardened) or Mullvad
General browsing - Librewolf + NoScript
Shopping - Brave + uBlock Origin

OR

General browsing - Librewolf + NoScript
Shopping - Brave + uBlock Origin

OR

Everything else - Librewolf + NoScript

You know what you use the web for.  Some entities will need greater separation than others simply because they have their code almost everywhere.

Whatever you use you'll probably want to set your browsers to clear cookies after every restart, or maybe even more frequently.  I used to not do that since it was a hassle signing into everything again after a restart, but now I use Keepass XC for my passwords it's not that big of a deal.

Report Reply

posted

Handy website: -

https://alternativeto.net/category/browsers/firefox-based/?platform=windows

https://alternativeto.net/category/browsers/chromium-based/?platform=windows

Report Reply

Reply by 李杰西

posted
updated

Most cybersecurity professionals use Brave Browser. It is the one I use and is amazing. It blocks all adds and trackers even on youtube. 

Report Reply

Reply by Jason Anderson

posted

Don't use anything that is Google. Because Google will spy on you!

Report Reply

Reply by x.poisonrationality.x

posted

brave and opera are both chromium based, use firefox or something like it instead

Report Reply

posted

I wouldn't shun Brave or un-Googled Chromium just because they're Chromium based.  I would shun Opera though.  Brave does a lot of things right to stop tracking: -

https://privacytests.org/

On the Firefox side I like LibreWolf, it's stripped back and hardened, but you don't *have* to choose one and only one browser.

Report Reply

Reply by Kevin Stance

posted

It may be more effective to use different cookie clicker 2 browsers for specific tasks rather than searching for the best browser or add-ons. Each browser will have its own set of cookies, keeping them separate for different purposes.

Report Reply