« Food and Restaurants Forum

Chef’s Tips

Got any problems in the kitchen? Recipes just not working out? Or maybe they worked out so wonderfully that you just have to share with everyone. Whatever the case, let’s talk about it here :D

We can start out by posting recipes and see what happens from there

Report Topic

20 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

Not sure that I have any tips, but discovering and learning to use the following things properly revolutionized my cooking:

-making and using your own stock
-sherry/wine
-cornstarch
-liquid smoke
-sesame oil
-toasting/lightly frying your herbs and seasonings before adding them
-how tannins, fats, salt, proteins, etc all work from a chemical perspective, and a nutrition one (ie: tannins bind to fats, stuff like that)

I love the science of food, and the more you learn about it the better your food will come out!

Report Reply

Reply by L. Staples

posted

Get a cast iron ASAP! 

Report Reply

Reply by Ben

posted

When scrambling eggs, follow these tips:

• Don't add milk or water
  • Don't add salt until the very last second before you add the eggs to the pan, as salt alters the structure
  • Stir the eggs in the pan with a spatula slowly in a figure-eight pattern
  • The lower the heat, the better the result

Report Reply

Reply by Deanna

posted

I recently ordered Blackened Chicken Alfredo from a local Italian restaurant. OMG. DELICIOUS. I had never heard of doing blackened chicken!

There’s tons of recipes online, and it costs WAY less to make at home! 

Report Reply

Reply by Deanna

posted

I recently ordered Blackened Chicken Alfredo from a local Italian restaurant. OMG. DELICIOUS. I had never heard of doing blackened chicken!

There’s tons of recipes online, and it costs WAY less to make at home! 

Report Reply

Reply by 𝕽𝖊𝖓𝖊𝖊

posted

I can use a microwave 

Report Reply

Reply by Tracy

posted

Dont cut the root off of the onion while chopping. Cut as close to it as you can without cutting into it to avoid tearing up

Report Reply

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

Also I just recently discovered the magic of GHEE.

Report Reply

Reply by electroslag

posted

Making your own stock for soup is the easiest thing in the world! I have a bunch of bags in my freezer; one for veggie scraps, one for chicken bones, one for pork bones.

Once the bags get full I throw them in a big pot with water and boil until the bones fall apart/veggie scraps get mushy if it's only veg. For bone stocks it's gonna take all day usually.

Then I pour the finished stock into ice cube trays and freeze, that way if I only need a little bit for a recipe I can just take a couple of cubes! It helps save money and reduce waste and it's really easy.

Report Reply

Reply by robin

posted

tip of the day is that finishing pasta in a pan with sauce is a million times better than just straining the pasta and throwing it on a plate/in a bowl. reserve some of the starchy water from when you cooked the pasta and use it to adjust the consistency of the sauce! even if you've just got ragu or some shit, trust me on this one

Report Reply

Reply by Killeesi

posted

just learned a rice trick to avoid burning to the bottom of pan. Boil water, add rice to boiling water, stir for a a min after a min or so turn off burner let it sit and finish cooking itself. I seriously burned rice to my pot every time I  cooked no matter how hard Id try to prevent this. thanks to Discovery + and watching Amy Schumer learns to cook. I love her she cracks me up I had to watch. Her husband is a pro and I learned a few things from watching those two.

Report Reply

Reply by Oscar

posted

I bought a kitchen scale and started weighing  out my recipe ingredients instead of going by volume. The end results are much more consistent, and there are so many measuring cups and spoons I don't have to wash afterward

Report Reply

Reply by Tayla Gaffney Blake

posted

I weigh some things like doughs and cakes and for stuff like vinaigrette's I just do it by eye and taste and marinades, just through the spices and oil in and its worked well so far

Report Reply

Reply by bowie

posted

I’m all about slow cooking

Report Reply

Reply by Ben

posted

Use kosher salt instead of fine-ground salt, and sprinkle liberally.

It's more satisfying to work with and easier to adjust.

Report Reply

Reply by Sean

posted

dont touch the red-hot stove. #1 tip any credible chef would give.

Report Reply

Reply by Gershon

posted

A kitchen scale can change your life

Report Reply

Reply by Gershon

posted

A kitchen scale can change your life

Report Reply

Reply by Davey Treen

posted

Don’t put knives in the dishwasher! The detergent dulls the blade. A dull knife is just as (if not more) dangerous as a sharp knife!

Report Reply

Reply by rion >:)

posted

The deliciousness of a meal is directly proportional to how much onion and garlic you add to it. You can add curry powder to just about any savory meal to make it 10x better (but be mindful with how much extra salt you add bc it usually has salt). Measure your oil.

Report Reply