« Friends Forum

Neurodivergent folks

Posted by mold !

posted

Forum: Friends

hey y’all i was recently diagnosed w “high functioning” autism spectrum disorder n i’m looking for others dealing w similar conditions! i have trouble starting convos n maintaining friendships so maybe talking to folks w a better understanding is a good start?? thanks for reading

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Dazey

posted

I've never been officially diagnosed with autism but I have the same issues. I'm terrible at starting, and ending, conversations and really as far as making friends I've just given up on that. 

Report Reply

Reply by Llama_legss

posted

I'm
also “high functioning” and I was diagnosed when I was 3 to 5 so I can
understand how ya feel. My autism has affected me for most of my life but not
really as my parent supplied me with a lot of resources to help me speak, write
and to be able to go to a normal school which is fantastic. So if you need any advice
or help I'm here :)

Report Reply

Reply by Aaron

posted

I'm back. Not a lot of people use this place because i do but know why, but condi was always toxic and now it's being revealed,  so maybe we'll get more autistic people in here

Report Reply

Reply by Wynter

posted

Diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger. Never went away for me. Probably why I can never make or keep friends. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ary

posted

I also struggled with socializing and making friends!

High functioning as well 

Report Reply

Reply by JupiterCafe

posted

For me "high functioning" means how much the people I'm in contact with can pretend I'm not neurodivergent. I'm diagnosed with autism, ADHD, and C-PTSD (and a plethora of co-morbid diagnosis that fall under my main three) I wouldn't consider myself high functioning. People closest to me wouldn't consider me high functioning. I described myself as appearing independent with high support needs. It's hard to advocate for those needs when I'm seen as a quirky but mostly functional person when I can't go in crowded places by myself and my body is literally falling apart. 

Report Reply

Reply by JupiterCafe

posted

I've never been the person to initiate a friendship or relationship. I am the definition of the introvert adopted by the extrovert. And these friendships almost always have expiration dates I didn't know were coming. People (neurotypicals) never seem to communicate the same way I do, and so I break these unspoken agreements they all have with each other. I've had friendships end out of no where or at least out of no where for me. Or over the smallest things. Like a misworded text message. I had a friendship end because after my wedding some friends were gonna go get wings and beer at a bar and they invited my partner and I. We said yes but we weren't planning to stay long because we were exhausted. My best friend started ignoring and avoiding me. I found out a month or two later that it was because I didn't think to invite her. But, it wasn't my outing and I wasn't staying. I didn't understand. And, that was the end of our friendship. It doesn't matter how many times I say I have communication issues or other things people find hard to deal with. People say they are okay with being friends with an autistic person and then use their autism to stop being friends with them. And, I'd understand if I was being obscene or breaking boundaries repeatedly. But it always seems to be a miscommunication of sorts or an issue with my passion about things or an issue around my sensory issues and my boundaries. 

Report Reply

Reply by Heliko

posted

I volunteer as sacrifice!

Undiagnosed but mainly because it’s expensive and no one knew what afab autism looked like when I was young enough to be on my parents insurance.

I live by myself and walk to work so I’m as “high functioning” as it gets, in between having texture related breakdowns and stimming my entire workday.

Report Reply