Topic: Write here, write now!

Sort Replies:

Reply by Cranky Old Witch

posted

S'okay! Just spreads more poetry around (even the bitter ones ) 

Meanwhile, remind me not to piss you off!

Report Reply

posted

I've far too much stuff piling up on the counter. Passed time I organize it.
Then I realized that regardless of whether I organize it well, or poorly, it's still counter intuitive.

Report Reply

Reply by Dahling

posted

I love these! 
They're all so good.

Aww Becks, he doesn't deserve you love!

Report Reply

posted

Dahling in the house!

Write something for us, love. If'n ye feel inspired

Report Reply

posted

The Late January Thaw

The great cycles of the season measure passing by the calendar. Carefully calculated by the sun and the growing of things. The eternal cycle of winter's sleep and summer's renewal.

So, too, are there but smaller cycles within.

Late January brings a thaw in all but the bitterest of winters.

The corpse of January snow lies withering upon the ground to be gone in the coming days, or else only in running rivulets of the road-away-ish along the highway sides, or else in the great piles of the parking lots. Blackened by salt and slowly shrinking away like fallen giants after battle with the Aesir. 

'Tis not the truth of spring, for the fierce snows and deadly freeze will return with a vengeance to be counted upon the weeks or even the months to come, but rather 'tis a most welcome respite!

Remind me once again, o late January thaw, of the promise of spring and the warmth of the sun!

Sleep yet, o seedlings safely slumbering beneath the earth, your time will come. We'll see by the telling of the groundhog how long that may yet be.

Report Reply

Reply by Curtis

posted

Winters in Sacramento used to be very cold, with long stretches of gray sky. Summers were hot, with at least one big heat wave. But global warming is noticeably happening here. Winters are not as cold, and summers are getting more and more brutally hot. We're still getting plenty of rain, but I'm not looking forward to summer. Spring will be nice, but July and August are going to be tough.

We don't have whole house air conditioning, just three wall units. One is in my room, cooling both me and my computer. During the heat waves, parts of the house become miserably hot. I stay in my room and work, and hope the power stays on.

21st century, you are not what I was promised...

Report Reply

posted

Curtis, your unintended prose posted as climate commentary may just be more poignant that most of the creative efforts here!

Report Reply

Reply by Bex

posted
updated

Thank you Dahl <3

Report Reply

posted

Sounding the Void.

How can we measure its depths?

Moreover, should we?

The void calls. From the heart of the preteenager to the greying philosopher

At some point we all hear the call.

Dare not to enter, not even to measure its depths.

Like a salt dolly sent to measure the depth of the ocean.

Shout at it.

Shout down its call.

Shout into it.

Though your voice be small 'gainst the immeasurable immensity,

Shout, sister, shout!

Someday, womb of the tomb will be appealing and then,

If the void does call,

Might you consider answering and perchance entering.

But not yet. Gods be good, not for many years to come!

And defiantly, 

Not yet.

Report Reply

Reply by syra

posted

A song I'm writing

////////// (escucha bien lo que dices)

/////// , don´t be

so hard, I need you here

/////////// (que rico lo que me hiciste)

/////// just 

too much I need to think

I´ve been feeling you too much 

/////// but

I don´t think I can trust

Como siempre

I can´t stand it

I can´t stand it

I can´t stand it

Report Reply

posted

Oh, that's good! 

Report Reply

posted

This is more of meandering thoughts that artistic prose. 

Gaining language/losing language.

I guess I've always been a bit behind the times. Style, slang, technology etc. I'm okay with that and even intentionally lean into that for effective self-parody. 

But I was thinking about flavored seltzer.

I hate seltzer, but I'll come around to that. Stay with me.

Thinking on my hatred for seltzer and how to properly describe what it tastes like to me triggered some thoughts on shifting language.

Yesterday, I made a 'sound'. And intentional cartoonish vocalization that was without words. My lovely wife, raised up on the same steady diet of TV that I was instantly recognized the sound, identified from which specific Bugs Bunny cartoon it had come from, and carried on with the dialogue from rote with perfect inflection.

She and I never properly learned higher math, but somehow retain this sort of thing for decades and decades.

Anyone under - say - 30? Would not pick it up. 

As for 'style', I'd say I spent most of my years cultivating a 'non' style. Not against, not subversive, just utterly non-defined. One day, I did post what I thought to be a pretty cute selfie. Took the time to actually apply make-up and all! A you ger friend commented that my eyebrows looked 'fleek'. I replied that I was off to go look that up and expected to be mad if it turned out to be an insult!

By now, millennial slang like 'fleek' and I guess 'yeet' are already past their prime and being parodied by these kids today.

In fact, people my age or younger, when wanting to sound especially old fashioned, might put on a pastiche of 'hippy' slang from the 60s.

I go a bit further back. My cultural and musical proclivities allow me to go full slang from the 1930s a la Cab Calloway and any other hep cats from the era.

So, slang changes. Words change. Learning newer slang is a bit like decoding a language.

Apart from 30s terms like "viper" or "L7", not much is 'lost' though.

But technology is a wee bit different.

About that flavored seltzer.

Remember?

This is about my disdain for flavored seltzer.

I thought about it and settled on an apt description of my experience with flavored seltzer to be akin to:

"It's like I'm watching TV, but it's so static-y that I can't quite make out if what I'm watching is a show about a lemon, or an orange."

Then it struck me.

Is there static on TV anymore? Or does the screen just go blank, maybe with a 'home' icon screen saver sort of thing?

I thought maybe to alter the description to be about listening to a static-y radio but again, my internal age check made me realize that no one really listens to the radio anymore.

Oh, I know that even these kids today will likely understand the 'static' metaphor, but have they actually experienced it?

They will probably understand it in a way, but their kids might not. And their grandkids would have no clue, really.

So, I'm searching for the 'updated' metaphor for just how unpleasant flavored seltzer is. 

Report Reply

Reply by ☆Sol☆

posted

I'm a part of a writing club on Neocities and this week's prompt was to base something on one of Salvador Dalis paintings so I wrote mine based on The Persistence of Memory (the clock one), as well as the weird vertigo I experience when trying to fall asleep! Felt like y'all would appreciate it as well (。・∀・)ノ

Clocks

The ticking of the clocks,

Their simple rhythm,

The gentle tick, tick, tick torturous as I lay sleeplessly.

The room is spinning though I am laying down.

It's too hot, too cold.

Is this what hell is like?

I'm being sucked down

Deeper

And deeper

Into the pit of my mind.

I'm going to be sick.

But where am I going?

I can feel my body laying still.

The clocks are still ticking.

I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight.

Report Reply

posted

Ooo, great capture of the tedious passage of time!

Report Reply

posted

Languish, I, on the cusp of things.

O that sacred space of the crossroads wherein it is a place neither here nor there.

Lessons learned that come from no other place nor time.

Patience tried to its fullest.

Report Reply

Reply by HyperVent ★

posted

Knowing me[¿Potential gore?]

How is it, to know someone? For my guts to be dissected, bit by bit to the point of exposure.Observe the mahogany color, one my eyes limits to see, staining my skin only to leave a faded crimson red.

The subtle pulse of my veins indicating my consciousness, as it slowly slips away.The thought is both something I deeply desire, and absolutely dread.

Such vulnerable state, is far too easy, to take advantage. But even then, the feeling of being weak to command, kill for you I will, and my dear, oh please, hold my blood stained hand.The idea is something I ravish.

Oh to be known, given that much care, to discover your raw self, instead of the well baked one.

Eat me raw.

No matter the bones likely to choke you. No matter the fresh wounds caused by the hunt, no matter my still, beating, heart. Serve me as I am. Let the blood be my natural seasoning. The desire so taboo, ever so tempting, teasing me. Despite the awareness of it all ending with me devoured. 

Who is deserving of such a meal?

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Report Reply

posted

Ooo, provocative look into the darkness! 

Report Reply