« General Forum

Are you here to “boycott” modern social media platforms? Or are you here because you’re obsessed with the 2000’s aesthetic?

I’m here for both reasons >_< 

Hi :3 

Don’t get me wrong, modern social media can be useful at times buuuuuut hmm, how do I put this? It’s tiring. In my opinion, people are waaay too snappy and snarky today on modern platforms. I’m so glad a website like this exists so everyone can reminisce (or know what it was like). A certain type of person gravitates to this type of website in today’s time and its sort of genius how it doesn’t have to blatantly state it. 

I accidentally deleted my Twitter account via app today and really thought about it. Yes, I was upset for a whole 2 minutes but meh, saved me the future headaches and random flamewars. Things really get too heated over there...but that’s just my opinion as a former emo hippy scene cross mix. lol 

Also, does anyone still have a Gaiaonline account? It’s pretty barren at this point but if I’m not mistaken, forums there are still up and running. My name is Lunataari on there. I used to play Jigsaw puzzles every now and then until it went down. T_T 

Report Topic

58 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by 。*✰♡Terri♡✰*。

posted

Wow, that’s pretty cool. :)

Report Reply

Reply by Kani

posted

I'm here because every mainstream social media site both locks down users' freedoms to customize their own part of the website and because the discourse on said sites is routinely far too toxic to handle. Really, I haven't felt like I've had fun on the Internet for ages now because everything's so serious and heavy and negative.

I also want to meet more people into my sad-boy-with-a-guitar music and I figure a site inspired by old MySpace is the best place for that sort of thing.

Report Reply

Reply by Jess

posted

Reply by Ðꧧï©åtêÐ ©ø®þ§ê

posted

The only time I use Facebook is for chatting, I haven't even posted on my Facebook since 2018. I'm here for the nostalgia and I think MySpace was genuinely better than Facebook, at least before MySpace turned into whatever the hell it is now thanks to Justin Timberlimb.

Report Reply

Reply by Eamon

posted

I mostly use SpaceHey as a nostalgia trip of when social media was fun and everything wasn't indeeed so serious. I was a regular on an old MySpace GTA group and we would discuss all sorts of topics aside from GTA, such as life in general. I'm sure we disagreed on controversial things here and there, but luckily we all got along well and were united via our common love of GTA.

Nowadays everyone sees every single disagreement as a perceived slight and takes it super personally. The fact that Facebook shoves this content to the top of your feed certainly doesn't help. SpaceHey doesn't have algorithms that do this and hence is another reason to keep me coming back. I've noticed some drama here and there, but it's impossible to avoid and even MySpace wasn't completely free of drama.

Report Reply

Reply by ☆Melody

posted

Aesthetic

Report Reply

Reply by XxGrayishxX

posted

It's a mix of both for me I never got to experience MySpace, but also this feels less toxic and tiring than other social media.

Report Reply

Reply by Aren!

posted

It’s kinda a mix of both for me. Sure, Modern Social Media like Twitter can be great, but it’s just too toxic. Not to mention there’s nowhere near enough customisation on any of them. I feel like sites like this are just more relaxed? I don’t feel the need to be constantly checking things!

Report Reply

Reply by Jenga ★ミ

posted

I've just got a chronic addiction to forum websites. usually my flavor of forum website is dress-up + forums but hopefully this works out too!
I'm of the opinion that the best thing to do with like any social media now is just cater your own experience. I started using the block button a lot more and it really weeds out any toxic people who otherwise just want to start problems

Report Reply

Reply by Imorb

posted

I'm here to find neat people and have fun. It's not like........ super deep lol. If there's a site with a forum, I'm probably into it. I do gravitate to the slower paced sites I grew up with. I'm a digital artists and I feel like algorithms are exhausting to keep up with, so it is nice to slow down now and then. ^ ^

Report Reply

Reply by Melrose

posted

I had a myspace account back in the day during it's early period. (Roughly 2004 or so.) Nostalgia mainly, but I enjoy making new friends and meeting all kinds of people.

Report Reply

Reply by Kori

posted

B O Y C O T T 

plus everything else feels lame, here people actually talk and communicate, not just laughing at some half funny meme here and there. Its lit. 

Report Reply

Reply by mewtek

posted

A little bit of both, really!

I really dislike how centralized the internet has become, especially with the rise of social media like Facebook and Twitter which are essentially designed to entrap you and keep you on their platform as much as possible, not caring if they make some stupid decision because they know that even if they lose a couple hundred people on their platform they'll still have enough people who won't care enough to leave.

Report Reply

Reply by girl machina

posted

i think most social media platforms now are heading downhill tbh so im here cuz it just feels more stable and consistent and hopefully itll stay that way

Report Reply

Reply by blue_B1C2

posted

I'm here to slow down and take a breath. What I see on this site is a filter for people who like to chill and have backbone, which I value a lot. People being themselves is hard to come across these days

I'm rlly feeling the hope of a fresh start, and I wanna make some friends :)

Report Reply

Reply by BudderPecan

posted
updated

Both somewhat, but honestly more the latter than the former.

I am here because I got bored with regular social media, (Used to use Reddit, which is more fragmented than centralized, a bit too fragmented for it's own good honestly) and was looking through Neocities when I found out about this place, seemed like a good mix of fragmented and centralized content. (Not so fragmented it's boring, but not so centralized it's boring)

I may or may not be bored of this site too eventually, but hopefully I actually make friends here so I won't be so bored.

Report Reply

Reply by 𝚗𝚘𝚝_𝚕𝚊𝚒𝚗

posted

ive been using only youtube as a form of social media for years

tho i used to be quite active on twitter since i follow jp/cn/kr artists (usually from pixiv) and vtubers, ive been rarely using it more and more since 2019

i kinda regret finding this late but it is what it is

perhaps im here for the nostalgia and also this time capsule of a site is a space for me for sure to feel like im living 2007/8 again as a form of escape like it used to be lol
i wasnt as active back then either but a place for a breather like this is enough

Report Reply

Reply by /d/oomerGrl

posted

I'm just here bc I miss myspace tbh

Report Reply

I joined here because I liked the simplicity of the site and that it's not too obnoxious looking since I don't wanna join the mainstream social sites atm.

Report Reply

Reply by Jesse

posted

I'm here because I miss the old Myspace.

Report Reply

Reply by ♡angel♡

posted

its both for me! i like that i can customize my profile however i want but i also like acting like a silly teen girl in the 2000s having a super fun time online

Report Reply

Reply by H I M E

posted

I missed the MySpace train back in the day, so my draw was wanting to get away from modern social media. People are constantly virtue signaling, competing for attention, picking fights and comparing themselves to others. This website feels significantly more chill and authentic.

I also love the amount of personality I can pour into my profile. Being able to alter so many aspects of it puts this place well above other social media. I like having fun things to do online without having the carefully navigate some stupid algorithm. Leave a comment on one video and suddenly your entire FYP is changed. It's tiresome.

Report Reply

Reply by xxRebellious_Emmaxx

posted

In my case, both. The only mainstream social media website I use is YouTube (plus plenty of extensions made for YouTube such as one to return the dislike count). Plus, one of my special interests is (and always has been) the 2000s decade. I was born in 2006, and I'm living like it's 2006, rawr XD.

Report Reply

Reply by ⁶⁶⁶ sie ʚ♡︎ɞ

posted

uh im just here to make friends lol

Report Reply

Reply by chrissy <3

posted

i hav an unhealthy obsession w/ the 2000s, so thx goodness 4 this site lol

Report Reply

Reply by AKMS

posted

I'm here because I'm tired of massive social media

Report Reply

Reply by gale

posted
updated

i’m just here to hang out :) i love the full customization for accounts so that’s a huge bonus 🫶

Report Reply

Reply by Love

posted

Honestly I hadn’t thought about it but yea this site is a lot more chill than Twitter also the customizable profile helps too 

Report Reply

Reply by XVXLUVSBL00D

posted

Both tbh , mainstream social media become way too toxic w all the trend u have to keep up and shit and im tired of that , plus there's no way to costumise ur profile to ur actual heart on apps like insta or tiktok , etc.

And i truely enjoy social medias more like spacehey , 4chan , reddit.  Etc , forum like websites! <33

Report Reply

Reply by Red

posted
updated

I wouldn't say boycott but modern social media is just so noisy. I know several people with tumblr but anything with a "live feed" is honestly just so exhausting and that's just normal.. No wonder so many people feel so wrung-out. I didn't use the original myspace but something like this focused on customizability and personal expression instead of "let's see how many ads we can fit on a single webpage" is a lot more attractive to me.

Report Reply

Reply by xaiolichanx

posted

i love the nostalgia!! social media these days is so bleh. i love the old school internet vibes :3

Report Reply

Reply by vio

posted

i'd say both!! i like the aes of old internet sites i missed out on bc i was too young but i also hate the current landscape of modern social media (algorithms, easily to get addicted to, lack of safety, etc). i'm trying to get away from moder social media personally aside from discord and tumblr, so this and neocities r pretty good places to start with

Report Reply

Reply by Kyle

posted

Social media these days just don't have that pizazz anymore. If you're lucky you'll find a account that is interesting, is it's a joke or is just interesting to you. All of the big ones feel like the same and copying each other like with TikTok's short form content. I like this website because of the recreation of something i wasn't able to experience when people older than me were on MySpace. The different aesthetics people have on their webpage is something i like to browse when looking through profiles. Spacehey just hits different compared to social media like Twitter and TikTok.

Report Reply

Reply by Stafki

posted

a lil bit of both. Mostly just obsessed with the Late 2000s/Early 2010s

Report Reply

Reply by toastysnowy

posted

im her bc this place looked really cool tbh lol

i love how it lets you customize thats so cool

Report Reply

Reply by zombiieluv

posted

both but its not that i necessarily want to boycott other social media platforms, more like i just love the layout and the way things work on spacehey wayyy more than modern apps, forums and blogging and 10x better than stories and shi, i still use apps like instagram and twitter, but this is jus smm better

Report Reply

Reply by hinepeta

posted

i'm here because carrd feels too restrictive and idk how to code well enough for neocities orz

Report Reply

Reply by guy

posted

im here cuz its insanely customizable and also no one i know has spacehey so i dont have to censor myself here LOL 

Report Reply

Reply by crazycatchris

posted

Because I am nostalgic for the old days of MySpace. Lol I am really not that into most socmed. I have FB for a certain circle of people that I interact with almost exclusively in a handful of Groups; otherwise, I would delete. I occasionally open IG for some wellness or homesteading type accounts. Otherwise I am on Tumblr. I'm hoping I'll love SpaceHey!

Report Reply

Reply by Shermy

posted

i'm here cuz it looked interesting

and also sort of to see the 2000's aesthetic 

Report Reply

Reply by mac

posted

im here mostly because i found other social medias to be too addicting and draining (lotsss of doomscrolling)

this place is a lot less overwhelming and i really like the customizable aspect

Report Reply

Reply by Romanda Andromeda

posted

tbh spacehey is just a way for me to satisfy one of the FOMOs i have about the older internet that i was too baby to interact with

like i also hate modern social media too as everything gets more bland and simple but my journey on spacehey was started because "old internet cooler than new internet"

Report Reply

Reply by zel <3

posted

i'm here bc i love how customizable are our profiles on this site

Report Reply

Reply by Misiek

posted

I haven't been happy since the 2010s 

Report Reply

Reply by the real giffany :3

posted

im here cuz i hate most modern social medias. the mindless trend following and spreading of fake news among a crowd of judgemental people festering in their own cesspool of hatred and insecurity really bothers me. all of these pathetic people feeding off each other and picking on anyone who dares to show the slightest bit of originality, picking and choosing what ridiculous image to pretend to find funny this week, all while choosing another shitty unfunny trending phrase or song. i havent used any other socials in months and ive been so much happier!!

and its fun here ^_^

Report Reply

Reply by ☆hnnahhkoo_

posted

i'm actually addicted to instagram, but I was curious about these types of websites since I'm too young to have experienced Myspace, but in the same way I'm a little fed up with social media, I only use Instagram to talk to a friend that I adore and love so we can say.. BOTH.

Report Reply

Reply by Graffiti

posted

im just here bc it feels comfy

Report Reply

Reply by tinfoilhat

posted

lowkey both XD

Report Reply

Reply by autumn/nico ✧˖°.

posted

both tbh! like it seems so chill compared to other platforms and i can say things without getting hatecrimed bc i used an emoji ( ;∀;)

Report Reply

I'm here for the nostalgia! 

I'm a habitual user of Instagram, rarely use (the site formerly known as) Twitter, and seldom use tiktok. The only social media platform I decided to ditch completely was facebook. 

Report Reply