« Music Forum

Emo bandz ? :OO

Posted by OZCA!!

posted

Forum: Music

hihi i was wondering if anyone had any good emo band recommendationz? turns out a lot of the bands ive been told are emo aren't?? im very confused xD  the bands i currently listen to are: 
bvb, mcr, leathermouth, pierce the veil, asking alexandria, 30 seconds to mars, muse, panic at the disco, green day, sws, etc but now people are coming out and saying that those arent emo and im so confused!!! Help!! D:

Report Topic

12 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by mariana

posted

So there are a lot of purists who like to dictate what is and isn't emo (look up the "real emo only consists of the dc Emotional Hardcore scene and the late 90's Screamo scene" meme). You don't really need to know everything I'm about to spew out (you might even know a lot of this already) and if you wanna just skip over anything other than the recs please feel free!! I'm just passionate about emo lol.

Recommendations
Based on the stuff you listed I think you'd like (and apologies if you already know these bands):
The Used
Silverstein
From First to Last
Hawthorne Heights
Chiodos
Drop, Dead Gorgeous
Alesana
blessthefall
Dashboard Confessional
Taking Back Sunday
Joyce Manor
American Football
Bright Eyes (this is more acoustic and might be a little too un-emo in style but the lyrics are very emotional and they were sometimes linked to that 90s emo scene. one of my fave bands & a lot of emo kids in the early 00s were fans)

There's also 80s/90s emo/post-hardcore which I didn't get when I was a teen because it was so different from the emo that I knew, but now really enjoy and think it would be worth you taking a listen:
cap'n jazz
sunny day real estate
jawbreaker
fugazi
minor threat (not emo at all but just a fuckin integral band you have to listen to)
80s hardcore bands in general

Since you said you were confused about what is considered emo tho, this might help (not really in depth but just gives you an idea): 
There's a lot of different types of music that can be considered emo. The term emo does originally come from the emotional hardcore scene in washington dc in the 80s (bands like rites of spring, soulside, beefeater) as opposed to just regular hardcore (minor threat, black flag, gorilla biscuits, bad brains etc). They and other bands like sunny day real estate & jawbreaker were also called post-hardcore. In the mid to late 90s the midwest emo bands like cap'n jazz, american football, the promise ring and bands from other parts of the country like texas is the reason & lifetime came out. Most of these type of bands are what people talk about when they try to claim "real emo" and are the bands a lot of the 00's emo bands often say influenced them.

From that scene, around circa 2002 bands like Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, Brand New, and (early) My Chemical Romance started releasing records. These are ones more people would be familiar with. Then around 04 pop punk bands like fall out boy, panic! at the disco, paramore and screamo bands like hawthorne heights, chiodos, from first to last, and silverstein came to prominence. These two groups were the first ones to gain mainstream popularity and because they came from the emo trajectory they were lumped together and called emo. Any bands related to them and similar enough bands that came later (bring me the horizon, pierce the veil etc) all got lumped into the emo label. At first none of those bands like being called emo (a lot of them still don't) because to them emo was a totally different type of music. But eventually emo became synonymous with those mis 00's bands and the style that went with it.

And then there's the mid 2010's emo revival (joyce manor, modern baseball, the world is a beautiful place and i am no longer afraid to die) and the more recent emo trap (gonna be honest idk anyone other than lil peep lol). So what we call emo is always evolving.

That's really just a long winded way of saying emo can be a lot of very different types of music from different time frames. If you ask someone who is 35 to name an emo musician its gonna be different than someone who is 25 and different from someone who is 15. You just kind of know it when you see it. If anyone tells you something isn't "real emo" tell them to go suck it.

Report Reply

Reply by SlowRiot

posted

Elliott.

Funeral Diner.
Mineral.

They are 3 of my go to bands. :)

Report Reply

Reply by Dom

posted

there are plenty of elitists who like to make a line between "real emo" and "fake emo" which usually just consists of the popular emo bands being regarded as "fake emo."  Listen to what you like, always be exploring though there are so many good bands out there.

my top recs:
Say Anything
Saves the Day
The Front Bottoms
Modern Baseball
La Dispute

Report Reply

Reply by XxV3L_IN_V4INxX

posted

one of my favorite emo bands which I havent seen much recognition now is The Academy Is... they used to be very well known before. They were also signed into Pete Wentz' record label, you should really check them out. I suggest starting off with their album "Fast Times At Barrington High"

Report Reply

Reply by rumor

posted

it's kinda funny that there are emo elitists now bc being emo used to be bad lolll (and for the record the stuff u listen to iz pretty emo). i recommend fall out boy! they're rly cool

Report Reply

Reply by Kif

posted

oooo! im not sure how good my emo music taste is, but heres a couple bands that might help you :3

murderdolls
alien ant farm (the 'anthology' album is probs ur best bet x3)
3 days grace
linkin park
korn

sorry if i said something you already listen too QwQ 

Report Reply

Reply by Severed Blaze

posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA4tBwm2jdc

Report Reply

Reply by katie

posted

song rec boring by the brobecks

Report Reply

Reply by xxskye.skylinexx

posted

Hopes Die Last - Thanks for coming (i like you better dead) 

Jamies Elsewhere - I Didn't Mean to Interrupt 
Close To Home - These Nights Of Broken Glass
From First To Last - My Heart Your Hands
Eyes Set To Kill - Reach 
A Skylit Drive - Hey Nightmare, Where Did you Get Them Teeth? 
Bless The fall - Rise Up 
Skyscrapers Walk Among Us - My Best Friend Is Now My Worst Enemy 
If I Die First - Burying A Parent 
Silverstein - Discovering The Waterfront
Scary Kids Scaring kids - My Darkest Hour
Underoath - Your Ever So Inviting
Alesana - Beautiful in Blue
Funeral For a Friend - Escape artists never die
Eatmewhileimhot - All My Friends
Escape The Fate - My Apocalypse
Modern Day Escape - Maybe Holding Hands Wasn't Such a Good Idea  

(i can go on forever just hmu for more recommendations hope this helps!)

Report Reply

Reply by Mattybones

posted

Panic! at the disco (Pre-split) is a safe bet also the cure modern baseball neck deep boston manor and fall out boy are some of my other favs i just listen to P!atd the most lol

Report Reply

Reply by iz‧₊˚✩彡

posted
updated

okayyy so im more of a 2000's emo type person more than anything but some good emo bands i like r

pierce the veil

mcr

fall out boy

sleeping w sirins

the used

p!aatd (before the split cuz I HATE BRENDON URIE I HATE HIMMM)

violent vira

isles and glaciers (group project band)

before today (old ptv)

paramore

ik you said some of those bands already but thosse r just my faves

Report Reply

Reply by StigmataR00F

posted

Not an emo, but with that being said, I listen to Bury Your Idols. They're a Floridian emo rock band that's pretty obscure as far as I know, but like I said, I'm not emo, so I wouldn't really know how well they are known in the emo scene.

Report Reply