History

Myths

Musicianship

Music theory

Blues fans, let's talk! 

Report Topic

20 Replies

Sort Replies:

I like the song 'Brooklyn Blues' by Barry Manilow... :) 

Report Reply

Reply by Cranky Old Witch

posted

I never would have pegged Barry Manilow as a blues musician, but now Imma have to check it out! 

Report Reply

He is actually quite a fan of jazz/blues. He pays homage in two albums -- one called 'Swing Street' that is really fun and one called '2 am Paradise Cafe' that has more of a smokey jazz feel... He has a lot of good guest artists on them both. Below are links to the background of each albums and their track lists: 

Swing Street

2 am Paradise Cafe

Report Reply

posted

I was listening to a bit of Swing Street after the track you suggested.

Here, try some Susan Tedeschi. It's a little less raw and old than the stuff I usually listen to

Report Reply

Reply by Curtis

posted

I think my first exposure to the blues was the 1980 Blues Brothers movie, which I saw as a kid and loved right away. I think the 'bluesiest' song in the movie is John Lee Hooker's "Boogie Chillen". I like sophisticated songs that go somewhere, so I'm not a huge blues fan, but I appreciate its influence on jazz, rock, and pop music.

Report Reply

posted

Boogie Chillun' 

The one playing on their car radio when the coos first chase them? That's his 1959 recording and it's a great track! He first released in '48 and it's often called the song that launched a thousand riffs. Credited with starting a whole generation of rock guitarists wanting to capture that sound!

Don't get me wrong, I do love jazz as well, I think of the relationship between blues and jazz as heart/head. 

Report Reply

Thanks for the recommendation. I like Susan Tedeschi's voice! 

Report Reply

posted

She brings the passion. Practically soul music. Her guitar playing's pretty on point. 

Report Reply

posted

A little side by side today.

Led Zeppelin's cover: 

The original by Otis Rush: 

Report Reply

Reply by Curtis

posted

'90s alt-rock heroes The Spin Doctors have become a blues band, keeping blues alive in the 21st century. 

Report Reply

posted

No kidding! I remember these guys. A friend's band opened for them back in the day.

I always figured their earlier single 'Cleopatra's Cat' had some blue notes going on in it.

Cool find, Curtis

Report Reply

posted

A little side by side II 

Led Zeppelin's cover: 

Original recording by Muddy Waters: 

Report Reply

posted

A little side by side III

Not strictly 'blues', versions of this tune go back a couple of centuries, most likely from old English ballads.

Led Zeppelin's version: 

An earlier version by the legendary Leadbelly: 

Report Reply

Reply by SafeInSanity

posted

posted
updated

But he 'gets it' by the end of the film

Report Reply

posted

A little side by side part IV

This one has historical significance, as the lyrics are about true events concerning the great Mississippi floor. 

Led Zeppelin's cover of "When The Levee Breaks" 

Memphis Minnie's original: 

Report Reply

posted

This is one of the first 'soundies'. Dawn of connecting film with sound, no real idea how to balance sound with rudimentary equipment, and Bessie Smiths voice STILL cuts in boldly above a full orchestra and choir! 

This is a 'two reel', first half sets the story, second half features the song. "St. Louis Blues" starring the IMMORTAL Bessie Smith. 

Report Reply

posted

Tommy Johnson! Canned Heat 

Report Reply

posted

The short-short version.

Robert Johnson never made a deal with the devil at the crossroads.

He never claimed to make a deal with the devil at the crossroads.

That was Tommy Johnson. 

Long after RJ's death, poor researchers connected the story to Robert.

Tommy made the deal, Robert got the credit and the world renown, long after his death. Devil's last laugh? 

Report Reply

posted

This is a classic blues STANDARD 

Report Reply