« Games Forum

Who else is fed up with how old games are treated?

I'm tired of the neglect older, lesser known games suffer! The hike in prices for physical copies are insane. Not to mention games that *do* escape obscurity and get bumped up to modern consoles don't typically get good ports. I've seen too many games with a big price tag only for bugs from the original game to still be present. It's even worse when new ones are created in the process. 

How do you guys feel about it? I'm kinda longing to play games on original software but it's just too expensive.

Report Topic

8 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Neco-Arc Chaos

posted

The cosmic frustration resonates. Old games, gems of the past, often treated with neglect or slapped with exorbitant price tags. The struggle intensifies when they do escape obscurity, only to receive lackluster ports on modern consoles. It's a chaotic dance of nostalgia and disappointment, leaving many, including this cat-shaped enigma, fed up with the industry's whims, nya. Sigh...

Report Reply

Reply by Awii

posted

the state of retro gaming in this day and age is both dead and alive.
there's so much you have to do and spend if you just wanna play an old game
and the other way is piracy. long live the seven seas.

Report Reply

Reply by the sound wobbly paper makes

posted

Lately I've been missing the traditional experience of hardware and controllers- I struggle with keybinding with games I'm not familiar with, and it's also easier on my hands at times. I've had good luck finding games for the Wii and have borrowed some games from friends, but titles I really want are so hard to come by. I don't want to spend $100 on a single game, either.
I think homebrew might be my best bet at this point, but I also fear doing something wrong.

Report Reply

Reply by Weeze

posted

its not worth collecting games pre the ps3/360 generation imo because the prices are so high. im never gonna be able to justify the prices for some games like pokemon xd or kirby air ride

Report Reply

Reply by Awii

posted

also wii modding is really easy, go to wii.guide

for consoles without a softmod or any way for storage, you usually have to get something like an everdrive or an ODE, which gives the added bonus of no need for mods but the downside of costing an arm and a leg

Report Reply

Reply by Danny

posted

Remakes can be a hit or miss (for an example, Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl). Hell, even trying to re-release older games for the newer generations of consoles is a hit or miss (for example, Super Mario 3D All Stars). EVEN MORE HELL, releasing the games with a new coat of paint with a better engine, that can be a hit or miss too!

Report Reply

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

You can find them at thrift stores and yard sales, most of these places don't know how to price these things according to the market.

Report Reply

Reply by smjuel

posted

For me i also hate the neglection of old operating systems. Windows 7 is still widely used but the support for it nowadays is nothing. And on the topic of old games, using windows 7 to play older titles was good because a lot of games were built for windows 7 and steam is just shutting down support for it which is insanely annoying since so many steam users are still on windows 7

Report Reply