« Jobs, Work, Careers Forum

What was th3 worst job you 3v3r did?

Posted by Aster

posted
updated

Forum: Jobs, Work, Careers

I am having a hard tim3 with my curr3nt job (and my lat3st application today was r3ject3d) :.(((

So I was wond3ring if anyon3 had any bad job/boss stori3s th3y want3d to shar3?

Edit: this is job 13 for m3 fyi xD

Report Topic

48 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Zwarte Vleermuis

posted

My worst job was production work. needed to put bottle of shampoo in the tray.

The work itself was not the badest. But there was a clock straight in front of me. And there was nobody to talk to. It drove me insane. I left after 4 hours. 

I did a lot of production work in my life. So i'm used to do boring work. But a seeying every second pass by is just to muich to handle

Report Reply

Reply by AltWoman_XD

posted

Worst job I ever had was working in a grocery store during the pandemic. I initially was hired to be a Grocery Associate, but I had too many troubles working in Dairy. Then, I got moved to the Front Entrance to do a store count (when we were letting people in based off capacity). I felt stressed almost everyday going to work, considering where I was work was in the busiest store in my area. It added to that stress and just being impatient. Plus having a boss who was racist, xenophobic, nepotistic, and loved playing favourites added to that stress.

However, if it was not for that job, I would have not met my current Significant Other. <3

Report Reply

Reply by Ashton

posted

I'm only 17, so I havent worked a great deal of jobs, but one that stands out is my office job at the ripe age of 16. I worked in sales and the way I was treated there was terrible. First off, I'm trans, and my grandad is a manager there, so he told everyone his grand-daughter was going to start working there, so I got misgendered 5 days a week from 9 to 5. While filling out a form, I put myself down as Mr Ashton Evans, and then I was told to do it again with my old name and Miss. For context, my name had been legally changed for months by that point. I was also told that I would have to use the womens toilets - or I wouldn't use any toilet at all. I was told that my deadname would be private... was it fuck. It was publicly listed on the app everyone had to use to clock in and out. I got let go by the company because they found somebody who could do my job full time (I'd started college by that point) and I got 0 notice. They told me that the next day would be my last. fuck. them.

Report Reply

Reply by Sem_Pavlov

posted

It can be really discouraging, but remember that setbacks are a part of life, and they often lead to better opportunities down the road.

Report Reply

Reply by Melgor

posted

I used to be a 'cart associate' for a WalMart store and it was a truly horrendous experience. It was my summer job and it'd average 90-100 farenheit and it was a solid 6-7 hours working 39 hour weeks usually (absolute max for part-time) usually working to 10:30 (the very latest a minor could work there) and it was gruelling and often physically intense labor that was made easier for a time by the cart pushing machine, which i had my priviledges revoked because I very clumsily scraped a car parked too far out. Was there about half a year.

Report Reply

Reply by Cassiopeia

posted

I once worked as a waitress in a restaurant. I worked Monday-Saturday 9am-11pm and somehow only earned around 1.100 dollars a month. I was super busy while working, I made sure that all the custumers were satisfied, and that everything was clean. But my boss would always yell at me and my coworkers for not doing anything (we were working like crazy). One day I finally got the balls to yell back at him, and I quit right there. Never doing that again.

Also we weren't allowed to eat, drink or have breaks, and my boss would be in the restaurent just to keep an eye on us, and he would scream at us if he saw us drink water. In my country (Denmark) there's a law that if you work for 5+ hours a day, you have right to have at least 30mins to eat or just take a break, so it was ofc super illegal.

Report Reply

Reply by ααяoη ℓovε.♥

posted

i worked in admitting and other clerical healthcare jobs for almost a decade. i quit during covid and went to barber school. (x

Report Reply

Reply by Hatefulnateful

posted

Tough so many nightmare jobs but at a chicken slaughterhouse probably objectively the worst. I've had great union jobs but this union was awful I only made 10$ a hour on 3rd shift and it was so dangerous smh I lasted a day lmao

Report Reply

Reply by vtorosort

posted

Well, I have worked for several roofing service over the years, and I must say that some jobs were more challenging than others. One time, we had to replace a roof in the middle of a heatwave. The heat was so intense that we were all sweating like crazy, and the tar on the roof started melting. I remember my coworker accidentally dropped his hammer, and it just stuck to the roof. It was like something out of a cartoon! It was definitely the worst job I've ever had, but we all had a good laugh about it. I'm just glad that I work with a great team, and we always manage to get the job done no matter what challenges we face.

Report Reply

Reply by SaturnianPisces

posted

call center.

absolutely miserable.

had breakdowns almost every day toward the end.

paid well for the time ($11/hour in 2013) but i would literally never go back

Report Reply

Reply by Doc

posted

as someone who grew up to be a clown, literally party city was the worst job I ever worked. i worked as a minor (they paid minors less, which is totally sketchy!!! if not illegal!) and they were really cliquey old people. funniest part of it all was despite party city being the go-to for halloween at the time, the woman who ran the store hated it because it was the "devil's holiday". i will NEVER shut up about how bad it was. 

hope you get to work at a job you enjoy! i know it can be difficult to find that spot -- especially with how the world demands people sacrifice their happiness just in order to make enough money to survive )-:

Report Reply

Reply by trenchfry

posted

Cashier at a retail store.

It would have been a nice job if I were trained better and corporate weren't so controlling. I had amazing coworkers, but I just couldn't last there for very long. Left as soon as I found a better, higher-paying job opportunity.

Report Reply

Reply by BadInfluence

posted

Target. You could be a robot n it's still not enough

Report Reply

Reply by DeryckEleven

posted

Call-center support for a web conferencing software. The work was good probably 95% of the time, but that last 5% was so brutal. When I left, I think maybe 3 of our crop of 25 trainees were still there. The perqs were nice, and I had a lot of great co-workers, but the pay was way too low for the stress.

Report Reply

Reply by carleigh curse

posted

blowjob on ur dad

Report Reply

Reply by Ben

posted

Retail like in Wal-Mart retail. This was more than mind-numbing during college.

I was a licensed book-maker which is not as exciting as it sounds.

Aaaand one of the worst jobs: Pizza Hut employee.

Report Reply

Reply by livvy :)

posted

ive been working retail for 4 years its AWFUL. 0/10 dont recommend

Report Reply

Reply by Logi

posted
updated

my first job was dog grooming. my boss started making me work 12 hours and just straight up did not pay me for the hours. then my ear mufflers that protected my ears from the industrial dryers broke, my boss would not replace them, and it took me several weeks to save up to replace them with how little she paid me, and during those few weeks i permanently developed hearing damage and chronic tinnitus that has never gone away. then when i quit, she made me give her the new ear mufflers i had bought, i wasn't allowed to keep them. i tried to find a pro bono lawyer to sue her for all of this but couldn't find one, so she got away with it, and she blocked my number and on all social media, then moved away.

Report Reply

Reply by Nicki

posted

Working in retail. 

Report Reply

Reply by X_CyAN!D3_X

posted

Probably had to being a housekeeper at a Travelodge, my god i cannot tell of all the things we had to do to keep the place clean. Was super disgusting plus it was long hours too. Literally had to quit after 2 weeks of being there cuz it was so so bad.

Report Reply

Reply by Walter White

posted

Reply by Gabber

posted

I once had a job that I only lasted three days at.

The boss was a horrible old man who would scream at you for not knowing things but would refuse to train you. He just expected you to know everything and when you didn't he would scream at you until his voice went hoarse

Report Reply

Reply by Christopher Julian

posted

Would have to have been when I was an overnight stocker at Wal-Mart, it also didn’t help I was super sick at the time but yeah that job ruined a few months of my relationship because I was so exhausted and always sleeping and also being treated like shit wasn’t fun either! I much preferred my jobs at UPS or Fed Ex.

Report Reply

Reply by Aimeé

posted

I don't know what the worst job I've ever had was. They're all different.

I started out as a hostess at an Italian food chain when I was 16. I don't remember how long I worked there and I generally liked it. My mom had been a manager there for years and years before I started working so I had pretty much grown up there. I used to roll silverware for some of the servers for some cash (or just for fun) to help them out when I was in elementary school since I was there until she could take us home or someone could come pick us up. Then when I worked there, it wasn't bad. There were still some managers and servers that had worked there and remembered me as a kid so it was fun in that sense.

From there I went back and forth between retail and restaurants when I wasn't in school. I worked as a front desk person for a couple tattoo shops and a real estate office. I tried to be a piercing apprentice since I wanted to find a way to stay in the tattoo industry without being an artist. I guess I could've moved up to manager as I was asked about that at one shop I worked at. I even had a few-month, part-time stint over the summer this year as I wasn't sure I wanted to go back to being a hairstylist, which is my current career.

The whole time I was working in retail and restaurants, I was always attempting to get my degree so I could do something other than customer service, retail or serving or whatever. My last restaurant job was in 2008ish something like that. I knew I never wanted to work with food again. Then when I was in retail was when I tried to get a certificate to do something other than retail, so between retail jobs, I got my Medical Assisting certificate but never did anything with it, and finally at my last retail job in 2015, I went to get my cosmetology license. Once I graduated in 2016, I worked my last holiday season and moved back to Colorado to work at a salon with my sister and I've never looked back. I still want to finish my bachelor's degree but only because I enjoy learning, and miss school. But I really just want to continue doing hair. In September, I opened my own studio for hair and makeup, my sister works out of the space sometimes, and I'm learning to do lashes right now to expand on the services I provide (I'd love to be a one-stop shop for my clients.)

Everyone's work journey is different. Don't think you have to get stuck with anything. In this capitalistic society, if we have to work to make money, then look for something you enjoy doing that serves your community or the communities you want to be a part of. Even if we have to make money to take care of ourselves, we can at least make money in exchange for a good time. I think financial equality is on it's way if it isn't already here. Make the most of what's available to you.

Report Reply

Reply by Yan Yan

posted

I worked at a warehouse for 4 years dealt with racist co workers that tries to get me fired for their own entertainment. The managers didn't know squat and the supervisors,leads, HR was a joke. Oh it was a union job too. Union just takes your job and don't even help you at all they just take your union fees. 

So I quit that place and applied at a temp agency now I work at an office, I am free to do my job on my own pace and boss lets me listen to music and buys me starbucks. I am super happy with my current job :)

Report Reply

Reply by Samantha

posted

Jack in the Box! The specific franchise I worked for was a nightmare. The general manager had me sign out a register drawer while.trsinint me then asked me to go do other things. I literally only did two transactions involving the drawer in my name,and both customers I rang up used a card. He then asked me to go pick up trash from the parking lot and got mad at me when I tried signing my til back in, so I just left it. He yelled at me for "stealing company time" when I went to get a dust pan and gloves to sweep the lot with then yelled at me again for "wasting company time" when I went to wash my hands after he called me back in.

When I clocked out for the day he called me into his office and told me my drawer was short $20. He said it was clearly my fault because I didn't "know how to count change correctly" and just kept talking over me when I tried explaining that I only did two card transactions before being sent elsewhere. I told him I quit and he tried telling me I needed to give him $20 cash to "repay" the company for the missing money if I wanted my last pay check. I called the corporate ethics line that night and needless to say needleds to say, the next time I went in for my check they handed it right over. Dude ended up fleeing out of state within a few days after that.

Report Reply

Reply by gravy dog

posted

jamba juice was a freaking soul sucking nightmare

Report Reply

Reply by ✭ star laveaux ✭

posted

retail for 6 years was horrible.

call center for grocery delivery in 2020 was pretty bad

Report Reply

Reply by Kim

posted

Hands down working in a real estate office. I honestly didn’t think I would have gotten the job with a visible face tattoo and always dressing in black, I applied and within the first month there I hated my coworkers and boss, I’m sure it could stem from location and management but being there wasn’t pleasant, it really is a soul sucking shady occupation.

The payout is so low compared to work load/over time/ paperwork 

Report Reply

Reply by Sagittarius Jones

posted
updated

sigh....

-I applied to work at this hotel. 

-I applied to work at the front desk. 

-Owner said she needed house keeping. 

-Said I wasn't interested.

-She convinced me to work as a cook/server in the mornings even though i told her i wanted to leave the restaurant industry. I let her gas me for all my experience lmaoo

-I had to clock in at 5:30. My schedule was erratic and she was verbally abusive. 

-One morning, she called me a "fu*king imbecile" because my fruit pieces weren't cut evenly T-T 

-That day was no different from the rest, really. I quit after 3 months

Report Reply

Reply by codak

posted

McDonald's, without a doubt. $9.25 an hour to deal with people bitching all day and the managers talking shit about us in Spanish. Until I called them out after taking Spanish class that year in high school.

Report Reply

Reply by ~Ime~

posted

Working directly with people is one of the hardest jobs you can do…oh boy.

Report Reply

Reply by necromancer

posted

god reading the stories in this thread is so miserable & enraging

thankfully
I've never had a really terrible job yet. my current gig is part-time
& I don't know that I could handle it full-time, it's a little
intense. but it's stimulating, which is fun, sometimes it feels like a
video game except I get paid for it. my least favourite part is the
patronising seniors/managers, though, not the actual content of the job.
I think I could probably handle it just fine if I didn't come in every
day fearing being talked down to for making reasonable
mistakes, or doing my best to follow contradictory instructions, or for not knowing how to do something I wasn't trained to do...

oh one time I accidentally almost got a job working for scientologists but bailed when I realized what was up. that was definitely the worst & the weirdest.

Report Reply

Reply by Roo

posted

Existing 

Report Reply

Reply by J4YC33

posted

I managed a video game store, that sucked.

Then I managed a University helpdesk. That sucked slightly less.

Report Reply

Reply by august

posted

i worked at a specific upscale grocery store chain in nc doing grocery shopping for people and bringing it to their cars. i lasted a month. it was the worst job i have ever had by far. it had good benefits but the worst workplace enviroment. every single part of your day was timed, and i got in trouble on my second day because i took my first piss break in 5 hours so i wouldnt piss myself in public

Report Reply

Reply by Kylie

posted

Back in April I worked at McDonalds for a total of 3 days, I know it's not much experience, but it was the worst I had.

I didn't have much work experience prior to getting hired at McDonalds, so I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. They almost immediately had me working up front to take orders during rush hour dinner traffic, when the resturant has it's most business. I had to deal with people screaming at me over their food taking forever, and then demanding to see my manager to get me fired when I told them it was my first day and I had no idea how to help them.
It got worse after that when they moved me to fries so I wouldn't have to deal with the public. The location never changed the fryer oil so I was frying french fries in this thick black goop that smelt like burnt grease, which was also all over the floors, and even though I was wearing slip resistant shoes I still kept slipping and running into everything.
Lunch break was the worst of it as well, the only thing this location did to do anything about coronavirus safety for the employees was taking out the breakroom fridge and microwave, and you weren't allowed to bring your lunch into the resturant. I asked if there was any accomodations and they said you get free food for lunch, when I told them that wouldn't work for me since I'm vegan, they said I'll only be able to have the apple slices then.
I was also in my senior year of high school at the time, I made it very clear when I was available to work and when I got out of school, and that I have to graduate soon. To my dismay they totally disregarded my school schedule and scheduled me to work when I was supposed to be in my online classes, which were mandatory to attend. I also explained to them that I could only work part time hours because I'm in school, but they totally ignored that and basically had me on a full time schedule because I was 18.
I ended up quitting after the third day because it was literal mental torture to be there, and I was literally so afraid of working again after that experience. I now work at Bath and Bodyworks, and it's literally so relieving because you're not dealing with hangry people waiting for their food, they have breakroom accomodations, and they work around my college schedule.
Just a pro tip to other 18 year old high school seniors, don't let your boss or manager take advantage of your age which allows you to work more hours. Don't feel like you have to stay because you're only a couple days in, if you're literally in constant dread and anxiety over going to your job, you should quit, because I promise you working should not feel like that!

Report Reply

Reply by Skye

posted

I worked at flame broiler the job wasn't bad but on my last day i gave a customer the wrong amount of hot sauce and the called back to say i was fucking stupid and they were going to get me fired. lmao its sad to think that asshole probably thinks he's the reason I don't work there anymore 

Report Reply

Reply by seraphxo

posted
updated

my first sort of job was the worst so far, i worked for a local farmer as a dog groomer that was only supposed to be for one summer.

i was paid $5 a dog to bathe a dog, which actually apparently meant bathing the dogs, grooming, and keeping the entire grooming shop clean. i worked 12 hours every single day and made only a maximum of $50. my boss also wanted me to do it permanently, which I'm pretty sure was illegal for her to do w/o paying taxes and paying me minimum wage.
I wasn't allowed a lunch break and worked running around doing like three jobs at once for less than minimum wage for 12 hours every single day and ended up working myself sick.
my ear muffs that were supposed to protect my hearing from the industrial dryer also broke, and my boss refused to replace them so i had to use my own pay to buy her new ones. in the time that this took me, i got permanent damage to my hearing and now have tinnitus. this was the last straw for me and i quit, so she threw a fit and blocked my number and moved away.

Report Reply

Reply by Erica

posted

The first time I worked at McDonalds I was in hs and it honestly wasn't bad, I became a manager actually. But a little over a year ago I worked at a different McDonalds and omg it was so bad. The GM was a bitch and hated me for no reason. She was always bitching at me and for what. Nothing. She was also having an affair with the main manager guy and they were both married. And they were like 50ish. It was just a bad environment. I was never treated that way at a job before because I am a hard worker but she acted like I was stupid. Ugh, I got all mad remembering lol 

Report Reply

Reply by Crystal Sage

posted

Telemarketing.  It was for a non profit, but alas, I just couldn’t bring myself to cold call people and ask for money.  I lasted one whole day, and that was the shortest job I’ve ever had.  

I’ve learned over the years of shlupping through applications, that applying for jobs is like trying to sell a book.  
Also, don’t be afraid to ask about things that matter t you in interviews.  Ask about statistics, and ask how much they effect your possible job.  Discuss what a typical day is like.  If you can afford to say no to something that’s a bad fit, do so.  If you are treated badly during the interview, don’t be afraid to get up and walk out.  An interview is not an offer of employment, so it won’t effect unemployment if you have it.  

Report Reply

Reply by Crystal Sage

posted

Telemarketing.  It was for a non profit, but alas, I just couldn’t bring myself to cold call people and ask for money.  I lasted one whole day, and that was the shortest job I’ve ever had.  

I’ve learned over the years of shlupping through applications, that applying for jobs is like trying to sell a book.  
Also, don’t be afraid to ask about things that matter t you in interviews.  Ask about statistics, and ask how much they effect your possible job.  Discuss what a typical day is like.  If you can afford to say no to something that’s a bad fit, do so.  If you are treated badly during the interview, don’t be afraid to get up and walk out.  An interview is not an offer of employment, so it won’t effect unemployment if you have it.  

Report Reply

Reply by Colonel Hotshot

posted

I think just about any job you have is gonna have it's fair share of drama. 

That being said, the WORSE job I ever had was when I worked as a Help Desk Technician. Dealing with people complaining to me about things that weren't my fault. Yelling at me, cussing me out, it was the WORSE! And it didn't help that the company I worked for was TERRIBLE! They sucked at helping employees with family issues, kept enforcing all these stupid rules about only using the bathroom for like 10-15 minutes, showed a lot of favoritism, I mean I don't know how I lasted there for 3 years.

But hey, you'll be alright. Just find what you like to do and go for it. Don't let anything get in your way

Report Reply

Reply by Macky

posted

A lot lmao. I worked at a lot of fast food joints, warehouse clerk, cleaning buses, in a kitchen at Hooters. I didn't like any of them and I wasn't too great at them (i'm terrible at dealing with people).

The most tolerable jobs I had was at a convenience and pizza delivery driver (which is what i am currently doing). After a while working at a convenience store which is one of my longest held jobs I had, being constantly in front of people got to me and I quit recently and I'm doing pizza delivery while attending community college.

Report Reply

Reply by Evermoree

posted

I think the worst job I've had was when I worked at Forever21. I liked my coworkers, but the majority of the managers honestly sucked. Like they expected you to put your whole life into the job, literally drop everything that you're doing to come in a day that you were scheduled off, as if you're supposed to be waiting around at home on your days off, waiting to be called in at any moment. And the customers sucked sometimes too. 

Report Reply

Reply by Ven Perp

posted

Maybe 8 or 10 years ago, I worked at a machine shop that was about 70 hours a week mostly hand-turning screws. I've dealt with minor nerve inflammation problems in my hands & arms ever since. Before I quit, I was waking up screaming in pain, but thankfully it's healed a good bit since then.

Report Reply

Reply by Lizzy

posted

I worked in a Wal-Mart call center.  The complaint line, to be exact.  It was worse than any Hollywood horror movie.  

Report Reply

Reply by Jonathan

posted

May I suggest applying to places and for  positions you would TOTALLY love 💘!

It makes it a little easier and less stressful on you knowing that eventually you'll get what you want. So your current situation and let down isn't as dramatic and somewhat tolerable.

I got a Bachelors degree right out of high school. Jumped in the Air Force and managed another Bachelors while in there. 
All because everyone told me that's what I had to do to succeed in life. After the AF all I knew about myself was that I couldn't be held down in an office or cubical somewhere wearing a suite. Ugh!
So I jumped into transportation and became a CDL"A" driver the rest of my life till recently. Those were the best yrs ever...

Report Reply