« Helping each other Forum

being forced into adult responsibility. please help

this isn't a silly funny post, i am genuinely in need of help

my mother kicked me out of her house. I'm only 16 years old, have no job experience, cant drive, and no money or income. 

i have to be out of her house by the 10th of December. i'm going to live at my sisters house but ill have no place to keep my things or my cats. 

i wont be on the streets, but ill still be alone. whats the best thing to do for money beside a job? what do i need to know about adult responsibility? what should i research and focus on first?

anything helps. thank you 

Report Topic

4 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by Satan's Lavendar

posted

Sorry your mom sucks.

I'd start with getting a bank account if you don't already have one. 

It might be worth looking up how to become actually independent as a minor - there's legal aspects that can prevent you from doing things for yourself. 

Then I'd look up gig work online. There's work that can be done in chunks. If you have a good attention to detail, there's a lot of admin and copywriting kind of work out there that should pay better. 

Report Reply

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

1. This is the wrong forum topic for this
2. I don't think she can legally do that
3. You must get a job. Why are you trying to avoid that? It's 100% necessary.

Report Reply

Reply by Pai Sho Cajun

posted

The following is for after you've gotten some sort of footing for your current schooling, basic job, legal issues with your mom, etc. that other people have shared.  Seriously, stay in school though.

I know tech is facing a lot of layoffs right now but, if you're tech inclined, look for Desktop Support jobs.  Some are remote, some are on-site, it just depends.  Professor Messer on YouTube has great, continually updating videos on the CompTIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certifications.  Even if you don't have them, if you know the content and have good customer service/people skills, you can work your way into an entry Desktop Support role.  Once you're in the door, it's a generally steady, stable job (notwithstanding bad bosses and office politics but that's a possibility with any job at any level) and you start meeting people, networking, and can move your way around and up.  I don't have any formal certs myself but my current annual pay comes out to about $48K, enough for my family of 4 to get by well enough.

Report Reply

Reply by animals

posted
updated

im unsure if all of their services can apply for you or if you even live in the United States, but the United Way 211 is usually a good start to find resources in your area. they may be able to provide you transportation through a partnered service. you can email the general 211 organization if you're averse to calling or want/need to avoid getting your mom's attention.

im unsure if it can apply to your local 211, but if they offer it, you can go through the local 211's website to see what assistance and programs they have that you could possibly apply for. you can look up for your local 211 here.

if you don't live in the United States, the United Way can still point you to other resources that they or other organizations can provide

there's a chance you'll need a job sadly. as you are presumably in education right now, you may have to look for seasonal positions (brief periods of work that usually lasts a few months) or a part-time position. during and/or prior the interview process, you will likely have to bring it up with your employer. you can also go ahead and ask employees of a store if they know the store is currently hiring or not! sometimes they can get you to discuss possibly applying with the manager if they're available/willing. if you're still in school and there are local businesses close to the
school and you are willing/able to walk/bike/skate there, then you can similarly ask if they're currently hiring or will have positions avaliable soon.

if you can't/would not like to apply for a job that requires you to be transported daily, you can probably take up commission work through art, bracelet making, and so on (though if you're making something tangible and sell it online, you will likely have to face the inconvenience of transportation to and from the post office, plus online commerce requires you to have a bank account). if you're still in school, you can start your commission work there!

in the end, im sorry you're going through that. i wish you the best of luck.

Report Reply