« Back to the Goth Forum

Let's start some discussion. When did you get into goth?

Posted by Kadavera

posted

Forum: Goth Group

This is our place to talk about all things ~GOTH~

but I can't help but notice a lack of caw-ing amongst the crows... 

so how about we start some discussion, huh? don't hesitate to ask just about anything goth-related or talk about whatever goffedy-goff stuff you want. 

I suppose I can go first...!

When did you get into goth? (... and trust me being new doesn't make you less qualified, we are not here to kill the subculture)

I personally developed interest in the goth scene 2 years ago, 2021. I've been expanding my tastes and delving more and more into it since then. 

What about you?

Report Topic

29 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by ravenn ☥

posted

okay so my dad went to me cause i painted my nails black n said "so you a goth now" in like a mockish way
so i became a goth to repent him
best decision of my life because i absouletely love goth history and music 

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

thats one funny story LOL. it was definitely worth it!

Report Reply

Reply by ✰ Aoki ✰

posted

My mom loves goth music, so I always listened to it! Even tough I only started dressing goth pretty recently ;p love it 

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

THATS SO COOL... did your mum consider herself a goth at some point? I suppose she probably at least understands your interests and fashion sense?

Report Reply

Reply by scara

posted

i’ve always loved goth culture but back then i was a tiny little emo kid, i started to grow a love for the goth subcultures through Its Black Friday. and around last year i started to get into the goth music and culture :D

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

ooh that's awesome! I always loved dark things as a kid too

Report Reply

Reply by coco_karolinka

posted

My discovery of Malice Mizer lead me down a goth "rabbit hole" around a year ago. I listen to the music and participate in the culture although my fashion style hasn't fully developed since I'm a minor who lives in a Christian European household so any goth clothes I want I have to D.I.Y.

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted
updated

thats so cool! and yep that's understandable, most people don't have access to various fashion styles, including myself, so you gotta be creative. and that's the way things were before all the "goth shops" existed , you had to strategically pair things and DIY. 

Report Reply

Reply by R4wr.skull

posted

Hello hello, arriving late but wanting to talk a little about this!! 

I started to feel attracted to this lifestyle and world 4-5 years ago, however my parents would not accept their little bird turning into a crow, Even so, that didn't stop me from entering the subculture, I met many friends who supported me so it was a good meal.

I still can't follow the aesthetic due to parental restrictions, but here we go ;)

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

Well nonetheless you're here, it does suck but I hope you have a great time finally going all-out when you can! hopefully that's relatively soon? either way I think it's actually worth waiting until then. and haha I honestly love that analogy you made with the crow

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted
updated

same here, its really hard finding fellow goths in person.. =( well here we're glad to have ya! I think finding others with same interests that can be pretty rare now is a good reason to utilise the internet

Report Reply

Reply by naturegoth

posted

my sister was in the emo and rock scene since the late 2000s still is and i grow up with it i ware emo fits but at like twelve i got into goth more i love it more and more everyday...

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

that's awesome! and yeah emo being a gateway is not uncommon, I myself was kind of that way. I was interested in goth music too but I was kind of more into emo at first 

Report Reply

Reply by Faultergeist

posted

I was a poser starting out in 8th grade (my biggest shame), claiming i was goth just because i thought goth was a fashion subculture. But then my middle school science teacher recommended me some old school goth bands (sisters of mercy being my first ever favourite goth band) and i was a goth ever since :))

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

We all start somewhere! Goth being just fashion is quite a widespread misconception so of course most people are pretty confused at first. it's great that there was someone open to correct the false impression and do it kindly as well, as to encourage you. and ah Sisters of Mercy was a nice choice!

Report Reply

Reply by miomyg

posted

Na verdade, ainda estou estudando, sou apenas um babybat 👆👆

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

(Estou usando um tradutor.) 

incrível. espero que este grupo seja útil! 

Report Reply

Reply by YuppieGuppy

posted

my mother was a goth/scene/chola kid growing up, so i think i developed the same interests as a generational thing lmao

all jokes aside, i got into goth music during the covid 19 pandemic and discovered siouxsie and the banshees through the music video for Spellbound

i remembered watching it and thinking, "huh, this lady looks so different from other female singers. the eyebrows, dark messy hair but with bright yellow dress and chains. she looks pretty in her own way. never heard a voice like hers either." one fact about me is that its very hard for me to like a female singer since i listen more to male vocals. 

learned how to do makeup, listened to different goth albums to earn knowledge, and even watched goth youtubers online to understand the history of goth. 

the rest is history. 

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

ah that's very cool! and especially good that you took the time to actually research about the subculture. turns out a lot of people don't and they go on for a long while lead by the misconception that goth is "just a style". Siouxsie and The Banshees was one of the first goth bands I checked out too by the way!

Report Reply

Reply by Nepeta_Cataria

posted
updated

While I was growning up I really liked dark stuff, like demons, vampires, ghosts and monsters (I was raised in a pretty catholic family, I even went to an all-girls catholic highschool with nuns as teachers my whole life), I started as a rock/metal fan, wearing all black and metal t shirts. But when I discovered visual key with The Gazette I loved their style! (that was about 2013), so since then I wanted to get into the goth aesthetic, but then I started college and I just focused on study. Then I re-discovered this band called Ghost (a few months before their last album Impera) and my love for the dark rised again, so now that I finished my major I have been starting to get really into the goth subculture, listening more goth music, learning about the clothing and the make up!. It has been about two years since I started!

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

Same, I grew up loving dark things too! I haven't listened to the GazettE (as yet) but they do look spectacular. Its great that you found your love for dark things again, goth will not disappoint for sure!

Report Reply

Reply by Eden :3

posted

I think i started getting into the goth subculture about 1 or 2 years ago because of one of my best friends. They're the one who told me about being goth and listening to the music and i simply fell into this rabbit hole of searching stuff up about being goth(like makeup, style, bands, views etc). I absolutely love the music and I'm hoping to also get into the fashion more , but it's a bit for me at the moment because of school :<<

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

ooh thank that friend! it's great that they were open to introduce you to it. music is the heart of the subculture, fashion is subjective. I myself don't have the gothest of wardrobes, it's normal especially for us teenagers

Report Reply

Reply by ⛧ Acid_Witch_Baby ⛧

posted

my father is a musician and my mom is a retired goth, my mom used to be a mall goth back in the day and both my parents raised me on alterative music! once i hit my teen years i started getting more into goth music and goth fashion as well!  

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

alternative parents rock!! \m/ it's awesome that you're here now too 

Report Reply

ive always been an alt kid at heart and im pretty sure i was emo as a middle schooler lol. i think i started to gravitate towards the goth aesthetic around 2019 or 2020, but i didnt know how to get into the music cuz im so picky and was misinformed x,D so i didnt classify myself that way so i wouldnt be called a poser and to avoid being disrespectful. im older now and know how to do my own research tho, so im doing wat little me never could :ppp

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

Well I think it's great you're here now! we all get into it somehow and there's no right or wrong way. I also gravitated towards dark fashion without knowing about gothic rock at first, round the same time!

Report Reply

Reply by 𝔰𝔬𝔭𝔥𝔦𝔞

posted

prolly a year or two ago now, my mom was goth and one of my friends was rlly into gothic literature, i got interested, asked and learned, (tho im def still a baby bat), and yea! :3

im so happy to be apart of this community!!

Report Reply

Reply by Kadavera

posted

ugh you're so lucky to have a goth mom! 

... and Go†H iS HaPpY To HaVe You ...

or rather "pleased". goths are never happy!

Report Reply