« Religion and Philosophy Forum

Existentialism in Astronomy Class

I'm taking an astronomy class this semester, and it's all really cool, but it just makes me think a lot- the universe is so big and we are all so, so small....

It's kinda funny cuz i go to a Catholic school, and my required religion class comes right before my astronomy class. I've decidedly not been Catholic for at least two years, and it kinda sucks having to go thru it still. Usually I'm pretty respectful to others' religions, but taking astronomy really made me feel like... man, we are just a cosmic coincidence. Where we got our intelligence to rule over all the other animals, I have no idea.

Anyway, maybe God and religion is just something that we all made up, for our own comfort. Which is fine. If you truly believe in it, and it makes you happy, go for it! But you haven't convinced me, which you don't need to do in the first place. That's another topic though. I just feel like I've reached a sort of enlightenment being in this astronomy class, learning more about space. Maybe we are God's chosen people and our specific little rock in space is the one he chose for his people to live in, but I really doubt it. 

I don't care if I've convinced you or not about my philosophy, I'm just throwing some thoughts down. Believe what you want, and, generally, I think if you have to cause harm to others or sacrifice human life for your religion, perhaps you should rethink a few things. Other than that, live and let live man 

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by Jinnicide

posted

Isn't it funny how the more actual education you have, the less likely you are to be religious? Much to explore on this topic. I can recommend some books if you like to read.

Report Reply