« Fashion, Style, Shopping Forum

LETS TALK FASHION!

Posted by Citrus <3

posted
updated

Forum: Fashion, Style, Shopping

ALL FASHION! from big designers like prada, balenciaga etc etc etc to homemade stuff you find/put on etsy!! lets talk about sewing, stitching, allllll techniques of making clothes! lets talk styles, substyles, from trad goth to gyaru to punk to ANYTHING!!!!

tell me all about your style! tell me about the music linked to it, the brands that make it, how its made, who created it, who popularised it, drama surrounding it, EEEEEEEEEEVERYTHING!!

(i'll go first, im gonna tell a whole damn story about me and fashion.)

I WANT TO BE A FASHION DESIGNER.

i'm from the north of england. i live here, i hate it! if i tried to show someone from my school the fashion i want to wear and i want to make, theyd laugh at me and tell everyone. gyaru is something that chavs and roadmen around me could never ever understand. that isnt me saying that i'm just soooo much better than them, but i know for a fact that they would just not get it. what is incredible fashion to them is boring and unimaginative to me, nike pro? really? but then theres the fact that THE PEOPLE UP HERE ARE POOR! nike pro is what they can afford, and i think about that all of the time. when i discovered gyaru in....... early/mid 2022? maybe even 2021, i was so so so interested. when i saw the dramatic makeup and the intense differences and similarities between substyles within it, saw the story of how it was created by schoolgirls that didn't want to be confined by japan's intense beauty standards resonated with me to an incredible degree. i couldnt believe that people would have the bravery to go completely against the standards of an entire country, i wanted in! sadly, i got into gyaru around the time a bunch of people who did not understand gyaru tried to be gyaru. they would claim to be gyaru, but have no makeup. makeup is such a core part of gyaru, YOU CANT BE GYARU WITHOUT IT! thats why im just a wannabe at the minute. i got into gyaru when people loved styles like kogal, but hated on manbas and yamanbas. i'm really glad i was never in that crowd. seeing the differences and range between subcultures is one of my FAVOURITE things in gyaru, as well as the similarities.

ok then here comes the cringe part. i watched cruella in school. i cant lie it inspired me so much, the designs were to die for. BUT DONT THINK THATS MY ONLY INSPIRATION! my mom used to want to be a fashion designer, and did it in college! plus shes glampunk, so i had to know good fashion or ELSE. i know for a fact im gonna do fashion in college too. i love picking up little details in clothes and critiquing little things and ummm thats all i have to say right now!!!!

Report Topic

1 Reply

Reply by barb

posted

i think my tastes in fashion have been all over the place lol

a few years prior i really liked muted colors and the "dark academia" look, just a bit more relaxed, if that makes sense? without the less lace and old-timey looks, more oversized wool coats and doc martens oxfords. h&m's fall collections were my go-to, and i could only afford one pair of doc martens boots i got on sale lol

i still like this kind of sleek look, but i think a year ago or so i started liking more 2000s-type fashion. it's funny bc my pinterest boards make a sudden jump from oversized outerwear and shades of muted blue/grey/black to brighter colors and more fitted clothing. i think it could've linked to the fact i've grown more comfortable in my skin? that and i love thrifting lol

i'm not big on music but i would probably associate my recent preferences in fashion to 2nd gen kpop (girl groups) and tommy february6. i also like tlc and 00s hits.

i'm still really exploring what i like and dislike in fashion but ngl i take a lot of inspiration from my old myscene and bratz dolls lol. it's hard to find clothing that is 1) good in quality and 2) "authentically" y2k (lol wtf), but i've had a good amount of luck thrifting online and in-person. it also helps my wallet since i can't really afford to buy much and i desperately need a job

i'm also interested in fashion design! i haven't looked into it as a career option tbh. i'm looking into majoring in applied math when i go to college but bc math is a very versatile field of study i think i could make things work. i don't know a thing abt sewing machines but i can sew by hand and i know a thing or two abt fabrics. i made it my new years resolution to invest in a sewing machine and continue thrifting for fabrics or clothes i could repurpose to make my own :-) if i can't find it i'll do it myself lolol

Report Reply