« Jobs, Work, Careers Forum

Advice for potential future teacher?

Posted by leem

posted

Forum: Jobs, Work, Careers

debating on what to go to college for because my passions cant stay consistent but i have always wanted to be a teacher. i have many years of experience in band and music, and enjoyed teaching younger students but dont think i can continue band my senior year due to personal complications with my own health, but still think id enjoy teaching younger children music or history. However i have heard from some recent grad teachers that its not been worth it, and the pay cant keep them up very well in a 2 person household. Ive also seen more and more teachers quitting because of parents or state complictions. Id hate to be fully deterred away from being something i love to do, anyone else have any experience or things to add?

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by lio ☆

posted

yeah unfortunately being a teacher doesn't rlly pay well but most jobs these days dont. i think it's a battle of which one you prefer, money or the passion. like cool be a teacher and do what u love but hardly have the money to support yourself, or pick a higher paying job and be miserable? this world is unfair but rn i study animals and the pay within this industry is pretty poor, but i still chose to do it yknow?

Report Reply

Reply by Emil

posted

What I can say with 3 years of experience as a teacher - it can really become a catch-22 situation. You come in to teach, all motivated, joyful. But eventually you're drained emotionally, because out of the whole class there will be like 3 students who actually give a damn about studying and learning new things.

Meanwhile, you'll waste time and energy motivating kids who don't WANT to be motivated. But you can't just give up on them, because it is your job to motivate them. And it becomes a vicious cycle.

I mean, not that teaching is all bad. It's a great feeling when you achieve at least something with a student who doesn't give a fuck about you or the subject you're teaching. It feels great to see progress. But there are as many ups as downs. It really is a job for those who genuinely enjoy teaching.

Report Reply