« Books and Stories Forum

(Manga) Plug Your Underrated Gems

Time for Manga Recs!!

There's so many new comics coming out all the time it can be a little overwhelming to try and find out what's worth your time or not. Do you have a series you particularly love or think needs more attention? Plug it here! 

If you're not sure how to format this, just include the title, a quick summery of the story (no spoilers), and why you think it's a hidden gem!

Report Topic

2 Replies

Sort Replies:

Reply by RoxxyRogue

posted

Personally, my picks would be No Guns Life and Witch Hat Atelier.

No guns life, is a cyberpunk meets detective noir story about an ex-military cyborg "Juuzou Inui" with no memory of his past, fighting back against an evil corporate government and protecting the people around him. Oh, and did I mention he has a gun for a head? it's a little silly but with a hopeful tone that cuts through all the tragedy at the heart of this story. The artwork and character designs are delightfully varied and beautifully penned with a mechanically but shockingly sketchy and organic style. It got a very well made, if short, anime adaptation in 2019 by Madhouse (the same studio that did hellsing ultimate) and if you're interested in checking it out, the anime is a great starting point.

Witch Hat Atelier is the story of a young girl named Coco, who after a terrible magical tragedy, is thrust into the world of witches along with her new peers, Agott and Richeh, helmed by their (shockingly pretty) master Qifrey. The story touches on themes of disability, systems of oppression, along with what it means to be an artist. The magic system is extremely well thought out and inventive, the characters are well written, and it might be one of the most gorgeous works I've ever had the pleasure of reading. If you're a fan of full metal alchemist, I can't recommend this one enough. Thankfully it's slated to get an anime adaptation by late next year. If you're interested in reading it, you can find it free at this link.

While neither are the most indie out there, they definitely deserve more attention for the quality of story telling they bring to the table.

Report Reply

Reply by vesyú ☆ヽ(´▽`)/

posted

its not japanese, so maybe technically not manga, but i LOVE hollow fields by madeleine rosca!!! its like hogwarts for mad scientists, its awesome :3

Report Reply